Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 04-13-2011, 01:47 AM   #1
dtm4192

Drives: 2002 Camaro Z28
Help- Code P0420 and ABS INOP/BRAKE/ASR OFF Lights

Ok guys I need your help with a couple issues

1. My SES light comes on and stays on. I checked the code and it's P0420 Catalyst Efficiency Bank 1. I had it looked at by a local exhaust shop and the guy couldn't find anything wrong. If I clear the code the light just comes back on after about 10 minutes. I also checked the O2 sensors and they seem Ok.

2. My ABS INOP/ BRAKE/ and ASR OFF lights all come on after anywhere from 5-10 minutes of driving. My brake pads needed replaced and I replaced them about 500 miles ago and I still get the lights. A buddy of mine told me to try disconnecting the sensor for the e brake. I tried that but it didn't solve anything. I read on another forum that somebody was having a very similar issue as mine and he replaced his BCM and that took care of it. Maybe it's my BCM?

If anybody could give me some advice I'd really appreciate it. Also my PA inspection is due by the end of the month. Anybody in PA know if they could fail me for any of this? I know the SES will but what about the others?
Old 04-13-2011, 01:52 AM   #2
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
I have a similar problem with the ABS light, but it's totally random. Comes on right when I start the car sometimes and other times it's just at some random time when I am driving. I tried cleaning the sensors but since have not had time to thoroughly check all the parts of the system and make sure everything was making a good connection.

I passed in VA with it on and they didn't say anything. My logic was there are still cars that do not come with ABS from the the factory so why would it be required for safety inspection? Guess I was right or it didn't come on when they checked the car out.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:27 AM   #3
dtm4192

Drives: 2002 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx View Post
I have a similar problem with the ABS light, but it's totally random. Comes on right when I start the car sometimes and other times it's just at some random time when I am driving. I tried cleaning the sensors but since have not had time to thoroughly check all the parts of the system and make sure everything was making a good connection.

I passed in VA with it on and they didn't say anything. My logic was there are still cars that do not come with ABS from the the factory so why would it be required for safety inspection? Guess I was right or it didn't come on when they checked the car out.
Yeah I don't think the abs light will be a problem because like you said some cars don't have abs. I think though maybe the brake light could be a problem. With your car do you have all 3 lights on or just the abs?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Yea I have all three come on, "ABS INOP", "TCS OFF", and "BRAKE" come on with it.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote