Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-08-2018, 12:32 AM   #1
Texicans73

Drives: N/A
LT 1LE vs LT

Can anyone share how the handling differs between the LT 1LE and base LT? Aside from extra cooling, who will you notice in the handling department? I think I would like to pick up a LT later this year, but haven't had seat time or experiences to know the difference.

My personal interest is I would like a fun car for commuting that drives well and isn't a mustang. The brz/frs twins have my interest, but I think I would prefer the Camaro. I have only test driven a LT in auto. In addition to commutes, I would like to autocross and/or track it in the future. Is there anything the 1LE offer at the LT model level that couldn't be upgraded in the future? Are folks the use their 1LE on the track or autocross course sticking with stock wheels or going down in size?

I imagine the LT Camargo a 2 door equivalent of my Triumph Street Triple R. Plenty of go fast, but not like a Super Sport or 1L bike that I can't be ridden to its limit without committing a felony. I can afford any vehicle in the Camaro world, but just don't see myself using all the SS and above power or +9/10th level driving.

Thanks so much.

John

Last edited by Texicans73; 05-10-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Texicans73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:37 AM   #2
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
The 1LE package includes the following: black 20" wheels with 245/40 and 275/35 sticky summer run-flat tires; extra heat exchangers for engine, trans and rear diff; Brembo brakes (the brakes from the SS); dual-mode exhaust (a regular setting and a louder sport setting); performance suspension (the SS suspension with retuned dampers); rear spoiler, mirrors and hood finished in black; HID headlamps (impressively bright at night); suede-wrapped shifter and steering wheels. I could be leaving something out.

I just took delivery of an LS 1LE this evening. I previously drove the LT with a 6-speed, though it was a while ago; and I test drove the V8 1LE two days ago. I think you'd like the sport exhaust that comes in the 1LE V6 - it is a somewhat rare option in non-1LE V6 cars. There's no beating a V8's sound and vibrations, but this is a really good-sounding V6 - not as good as a Porsche flat-6, but quite satisfying.

My impression is that the ride & freeway noise of the 1LE package is noticeably rougher than the standard V6 suspension, and less compliant than the excellent magnaride that's on the SS 1LE (and an option on the SS). You'd want to take a good long test drive in the V6 1LE over some rough pavement and on the freeway to make sure you would be happy with it. Your perception will depend on what car you're coming from.

I got the 1LE because I'm very keen on autocross and track days, and I drive a car very hard to the point that I need the 1LE's added cooling. If you aren't experienced and not already competitive in auto-x or track, I think the standard V6 would be great. You're unlikely to overtax the standard car. The regular LS/LT is still a lot of car, and you are getting the same excellent chassis.

I have had a V8 Mustangs and a V8 Camaro before, and some other speedy cars - a 997 Carrera S, an M3. To me the Camaro V6 is a great engine, and I've enjoyed 6 cylinder engines in several other cars. It's cheaper to own and operate, gives me peace of mind that I'm not spending too much, and fits my current family-focused lifestyle better. Don't let anybody tell you that you have to get a V8 - if you really are drawn to the V6, and you can tell yourself honestly that the V6 is a better choice for you than the V8, get what YOU really want.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:08 AM   #3
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Really great post Roostie!

The LT 1LE is basically an SS with better weight distribution, less weight, more modest power, and with the cool 1LE aesthetic bits.

Just for the sake of clarity, the rear brakes are the same as the LT. Just the SS front brakes are added. This is due to the e-brake layout between 2.0T/V6 and V8 cars.

I'm a big fan of the LT 1LE. It's a fantastic value and much more in the affordibality wheelhouse of more enthusiasts, which is always a great thing.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
scottc
Central PA Camaro5 Club

Drives: Hot Wheels
I also have a 1LS/1LE and it’s a great handling car...it’s steering is the best part of the car to me as it just sticks forever.
I had a 13 1LE and this car is as much as that was with just one exception and that is the exhaust sound but this V6 sounds good especially at higher revs.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:50 AM   #5
Rich J

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Manual
I’ve put 10k miles on my ‘17 1LE V6 (45 mi round trip commute), including a little track time. I also have about 1,500 mi seat time in 2016 and 2017 LT rentals. The difference in handling is substantial versus the regular V6, and the GM warranty covers track use only on the 1LE. For serious autocrossing in SCCA street class, 19” wheels would be optimal, but you don’t have to. The car was reclassed from BS to FS this year BTW. For street use, I think this is the best Camaro. Enough power to be interesting with the manual, but not so much that you basically can’t use it. This car also rewards good shifting compared to the SS where the gear doesn’t really matter at legal street speeds. Handling is noticeably better than a regular SS too. Weight up front matters. A 1LE SS is definitely grippier and faster, but also more ponderous. I test drove them all before buying. My other cars include an Evo and a Cayman. The V6 1LE was the most fun Camaro to drive for me on the street. For the track, I’d probably go with an SS 1LE just to keep up on the straights, but on the street I’ll take my nimble light feel and 87 octane any day over the V8.
Rich J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #6
Texicans73

Drives: N/A
Thanks for all the feedback without the LT hate. I figure the LT has similar acceleration to a late 90s Camaro/Trans Am. College gf had a '98 Trans Am that I would take to fill up the gas. So much fun.

I just need to go close some more loans. Locally I have found 2017 2LT 1LE's stickers at $44K with advertised sale price of $30K. Looks like they've been sitting for about 6 months. I saw saw a recent special where they advertised at $27.5K. That sounds like it would be almost level to a depreciated value. Or am I wrong?
Texicans73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #7
thewurzernator

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE RAPID BLUE
I love my 2LT 1LE. 18,000 care free miles, and i put 5th gen steel wheels and snows on it and drive it all year round!!!
thewurzernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
ddanj

Drives: 2018 1LS 1LE
I'll chime in and say I'm also very satisfied with my 1LS 1LE. Daily driven. Doing my first autocross next weekend (and hopefully more after).

I think it offers a great balance of performance and value.

Let us know what you pick!
3100 - 08/19/2017 TPW 09/11/2017 | 4800 - 09/20/2017 train journey done
3400 - 08/25/2017 | 5000 - 09/22/2017 at the dealer, and picked up!
4300 - 09/12/2017 Built! VIN available
4B00 - 09/14/2017 move to rail yard
ddanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #9
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
As an owner of a 2016 A8 1LT, that has spent the better half of 2017 searching for 1LE parts and now as of 2018 upgraded most of the suspension to either 1LE or BMR parts... I'd advise on getting the 1LE from the start.

fact is, back in 2016 when I got mine, I wanted it. didn't wanna wait and see what models came out in future years and etc. I just wanted a 6th gen. I bought mine pretty basic with the sunroof and the main extra option. I figured as with all my cars, by basic and build it into what I want out of the car.

I'm more of an AutoX and Road Course guy more than anything so handling is super important to me.

Given currently, I have the full shocks, springs, struts of the V6 1LE the handling vs the older stock LT FE2 stuff is far more crisp and precise. I've added the BMR cradle lockout, which somewhat addresses the 1LE V6 coming with slightly stiffer cradle bushings from the FE3 setups. this is a mod I'd advise for anyone though, as you take out virtually all the slop. however in stock form the 1LE will have less than the softer bushing FE2 setup will.

the sway bars are also supposedly stiffer... granted one of my first suspension mods were the BMR front and rear adjustable bars, the stock FE2 bars are REALLY REALLY soft in comparison. so the FE3 bars from the 1LE v6 will be a welcome addition with any type of spirited driving.

the 4 piston brakes are also a plus. the stock single pistons are great if you are driving around town. and granted the 4 pistons I will be upgrading from, that I sourced from a SS car that had takeoffs, there are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many pad options out there that will satisfy most. and I mean ACTUAL performance pads (aka MAN PADS), not pads designed to lessen the brake dust of a performance minded car. but pads that will stop a car and be able to handle some heat before pad transfer creates the next mythical set of warped brakes.

I've even gone as far as swapping the SS diff into it as well and axles... this is something that I believe the 1LE comes with in 3.27 gearing, but the larger diff and axles will also be a welcome addition in addition to the cooling you get.

then on top of that, as you mentioned you get the cooling....depending on your budget you can opt to get the PDR recorder.... those are the only two things I would opt to retrofit at this point in my build to be honest. granted I know there are many aftermarket options to solve this... but from the factory. yea.

I drive year round as most do. I have a set of Blizzaks for the rear, else I have been running the Michelin pilot sport A/S 3+ this year. I'm just over 2 years of having the car and am right around 58,000 miles on a car that I bought with 40 miles on.

whatever you choose, I am sure you'll dig. but if you are already gonna choose a manual car, might as well make it the 1LE if you plan to have a "bit of fun" with it. getting some of those things mentioned above from the start will save on buying it and then installing it down the road.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #10
Rich J

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Manual
One thing not mentioned...Recaros. Those are my favorite part of the car almost. I don’t think you can get them on a non-1LE v6.
Rich J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:52 PM   #11
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich J View Post
One thing not mentioned...Recaros. Those are my favorite part of the car almost. I don’t think you can get them on a non-1LE v6.
you can, but they're roughly 1700-2000$ each. the dealer can get em for ya, or you can go through jegs https://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Per...42557/10002/-1 and summit racing and a few other spots. but not optioned from the factory. its a gm aftermarket licensed accessory.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:49 AM   #12
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texicans73 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback without the LT hate. I figure the LT has similar acceleration to a late 90s Camaro/Trans Am. College gf had a '98 Trans Am that I would take to fill up the gas. So much fun.

I just need to go close some more loans. Locally I have found 2017 2LT 1LE's stickers at $44K with advertised sale price of $30K. Looks like they've been sitting for about 6 months. I saw saw a recent special where they advertised at $27.5K. That sounds like it would be almost level to a depreciated value. Or am I wrong?
I test drove a 2017 base 1LE that had a sticker of $33.6k. I was offered $5500 in GM incentives (for $2000 of that you have to have an eligible make, and some of the rest of that may be region-specific). I offered to buy if the dealer gave a $4500 discount for a total of $10,000 off. The dealer only offered to cut his price $2000, so I held firm and they did too, and I hit the road because it's a 2017 the car was yellow, which I like but am not sure I want to live with (I've had a yellow sports car before). If you could get a loaded $44k 2017 1LE for $30k and you like the color, I say that's a great deal.

I went to another dealership that had two 2018s, including one in my favorite color. Both were base; the one I bought has just three options: V6, 1LE, and an all-weather trunk mat (in So.Cal.!). There were $3000 in GM incentives ($2000 is for owning a competitive make), and I said I'd buy if the dealer gave a $2000 discount. The dealer tried hard to get me to accept only a $1500 discount and get me to pay high-$100's for some stupid flim-flam "paint protection" and door edge guards. It took quite a while of me not budging until the dealer accepted my offer.

Do I think I got the best price? No, I'm sure I didn't. On this forum I've read tales of amazing discounts. But I think it was a fair deal. A $28k car with this much capability is a great value.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote