Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #225
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Yep dealer told me today they are to measure the exhaust in a bunch of different places to make sure restrictive V-6 exhaust parts did not get on the car. It seems this has happened before and the car L99 acted just like mine does. Replacing the exhaust with the correct V-8 exhaust fixed the issue.
Lets hope this is the problem because it will be an easy fix in comparison to almost anything else..
Old 07-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #226
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
did you ever look under your car,, the L99 is the only one to come with the large resonator/baffle, the V6 and LS3 have a factory H-pipe assy.
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #227
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Lets hope this is the problem because it will be an easy fix in comparison to almost anything else..
Except computer?
Old 07-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #228
craigd853

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
I'd like to know how many people broke theirs in by banging it are having problems as opposed to the ones who broke it in by babying it.
I drove mine like I owned it from the get go. Just put a CAI and magna flow mufflers and it changed the picth of the engine and it seems like I have a little more torque and horsepower. Extremely happy with my car. I had a 2001 SS and this car feels a little faster than that one.Siorry about your guys bad luck, but I hammered from the get go.
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #229
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd853 View Post
I drove mine like I owned it from the get go. Just put a CAI and magna flow mufflers and it changed the picth of the engine and it seems like I have a little more torque and horsepower. Extremely happy with my car. I had a 2001 SS and this car feels a little faster than that one.Siorry about your guys bad luck, but I hammered from the get go.
Cool. So another one who didn't baby it on break in who has no problems.

Anyone who hammered it from the start who IS having problems?
Old 07-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #230
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
Quote:

I've been beating on mine since out of the door... and it feels, FAST. Of course my only comparison is a 1.8 litre Turbo Passat and a V6 SUV... but it throws me in to the back of the seat, and I'm a big man.

But... as they say, the butt dyno is never reliable
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #231
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
I've been beating on mine since out of the door... and it feels, FAST. Of course my only comparison is a 1.8 litre Turbo Passat and a V6 SUV... but it throws me in to the back of the seat, and I'm a big man.

But... as they say, the butt dyno is never reliable
I don't get the 'throws me back in my seat' feeling with mine.

But another, 'break it in hard' success story.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #232
CAM75

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:

Just got my black 2ss/rs 2 days ago. I put it in competition mode today and decided to see if it would act like it wanted to spin and it easily busted the tires loose without break standing or pushing it to the floor. I tried this with about 100 miles on it. (new blacktopped road not loose gravel or cinder on it to assist in the spin)

I am not beating on it at all but I do have aggressive starts alot of times just because I love the sound of my exhaust. And I always run it in M. I haven't floored it or pushed it over 5k...but I did throw my SLP Loudmouth I exhaust on it with about 25 miles on the Odometer. Feels very powerful and sounds great.
CAM75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #233
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM75 View Post
Just got my black 2ss/rs 2 days ago. I put it in competition mode today and decided to see if it would act like it wanted to spin and it easily busted the tires loose without break standing or pushing it to the floor. I tried this with about 100 miles on it. (new blacktopped road not loose gravel or cinder on it to assist in the spin)

I am not beating on it at all but I do have aggressive starts alot of times just because I love the sound of my exhaust. And I always run it in M. I haven't floored it or pushed it over 5k...but I did throw my SLP Loudmouth I exhaust on it with about 25 miles on the Odometer. Feels very powerful and sounds great.
Just don't baby it. I never tried ANYTHING until after 1000 miles. Then, like you I just lightly hit it to see but stopped short of any resulting action. I literally went by the book for break in.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #234
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Quote:
Yep dealer told me today they are to measure the exhaust in a bunch of different places to make sure restrictive V-6 exhaust parts did not get on the car. It seems this has happened before and the car L99 acted just like mine does. Replacing the exhaust with the correct V-8 exhaust fixed the issue.
..have them run the car with just the headers(see if restriction is caused by the pipeline or in the motor..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #235
LabRat

Drives: Wheeled Vehicles
Quote:
That's fine. I'm familiar with the way a motor breathes. But as the picture above shows. It is soooooo much more likely that the problem is closer to the beggining of the breathing process. If it was in the exhaust it would have to be a seriously bad defect on the ones with a problem. Again. No way it's in the exhaust.

I guess you and I simply define it differently!

To me exhaust is anything downstream of the ports on the heads!!!

To give you an example of where I'm coming from: A couple of years back, I decided to put the old style two into one pipes back on my 1958 Harley FL.

Shot over to my favorite shop in Minneapolis, and placed an order.

Picked up the new pipes (insert appropriate drool here) and the new fishtail muffler. Got back and INSTANTLY started wrenching. Two hours later, after patting myself on the back for a job well done, I pounded down some liquid strength, and started kicking!

Popped right off...............and sounded like KRAP! Tweaked the throttle, same same, and wouldn't idle for a damn!

To shorten it up here, I pulled the whole system off, and when inspecting the center tube where the gusset is welded for the read cylinder tube to mate......They had welded the gusset......And Never Routed A Hole!!!!

Now if you want to talk Back Pressure, I'm your guy!

LabRat
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #236
rpepka

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 2195
Quote:
OMG!
rpepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #237
rpepka

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 2195
Quote:
Would the wrong exaust installed not be very noticable just by looking at it????????
rpepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #238
redjewel

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpepka View Post
Would the wrong exaust installed not be very noticable just by looking at it????????
Once again I agree with rpepka. Can I just look under the car and know what exhaust I have? I can't wait to see what they say about Scott's car. I am waiting to do anything to mine until he has answers.