Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-27-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
Embarrassing Newbie Question...

Hey guys,

I'm not 100% inept... I installed my own CAI intake, ported TB, and apex scoop without a hiccup. BUT, some may laugh, what is an intake manifold?? Specifically, these "FAST" intake manifolds I keep seeing in this section???
I thought my "intake" was taken care of with a cold air intake and ported TB...

Thanks!

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Bmatth1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm not 100% inept... I installed my own CAI intake, ported TB, and apex scoop without a hiccup. BUT, some may laugh, what is an intake manifold?? Specifically, these "FAST" intake manifolds I keep seeing in this section???
I thought my "intake" was taken care of with a cold air intake and ported TB...

Thanks!
The intake and intake manifold are two different things just like how the exhaust and exhaust manifold are two different things. The intake manifold is the black thing on top of the engine in between the heads that the throttle body connects to.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
The intake and intake manifold are two different things just like how the exhaust and exhaust manifold are two different things. The intake manifold is the black thing on top of the engine in between the heads that the throttle body connects to.
I think I "knew" the black, ribbed part was the intake manifold. I think my main question is how would replacing that black, ribbed thing add power? And still what is this "FAST" business??
Thanks

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Bmatth1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:24 AM   #4
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Intake leads into throttle body, throttle body is letting air into and is connected to intake manifold.

Just like you ported the throttle body you can port your manifold to allow better air flow.

The fast manifolds are similar to a ported stock manifold.

Both a fast intake manifold and a stock ported intake manifold allow for more air. More air = more power.

Not an embarrassing question my friend, many including myself have asked way worse. It would only be embarrassing if you already bought it and installed it and are now asking what it's for!
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
The only issue is that our LS3 intake manifold flows VERY well for stock and even moderately modded cars. You won't see the gains that previous gens got with porting and adding the FAST. Not to say that there aren't small gains but the price point makes them one of the last things to do in the quest for power.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Nothing to be embarrassed about!! The more questions you ask, the more knowledge you gain!
Old 12-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
"Fast" is just a brand name of an aftermarket manifold. And as previously mentioned, it really won't help you much unless you're really pushing a lot of HP. The stock manifold works pretty darn good.
Attached Images

blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
"Fast" is just a brand name of an aftermarket manifold. And as previously mentioned, it really won't help you much unless you're really pushing a lot of HP. The stock manifold works pretty darn good.
But it looks so much better! How many hp do I gain if I paint my stock manifold to look like the FAST manifold?!?!?
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote