Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Adams Deep Wheel Cleaner and clear coated wheels?

Is Adams Deep Wheel Cleaner safe for our clear coated polished wheels?

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
trm2

Drives: Model S, Vette, Volt & Equinox
Yes. And as an added bonus, it smells less foul than most of the other products like it.
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #3
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
Will it rub the color off of black wheels?
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Adam's says their wheel cleaner is safe on all finishes.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Safe for all wheel finishes - just need to follow the 2 golden rules of wheel cleaning:

1) NEVER SPRAY CLEANER ON THE WHEELS WHEN THEY'RE HOT. If you've just finished driving, or the car has been sitting in the sun all day and the wheels are warmed up, move to shade or cool them down somehow before you clean.

2) NEVER LET IT DRY. Clean 1 wheel at a time, and rinse thoroughly before moving to the next. We see damage from heavy wheel cleaners occasionally, but the reason in 99.9% of the cases is the person sprayed it on, cleaned, then did the other 3 wheels before rinsing.

These rules hold true for most ANY wheel cleaner, not just ours. If you're using anything more aggressive than just soap and water you need to use some common sense and caution. If you have an unusual finish like an aftermarket matte powdercoat, always test first in a small area just to be sure.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:18 PM   #6
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Thanks!

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:40 PM   #7
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
Will it rub the color off of black wheels?
Nope. I use this stuff every wash on my wheels. Doesn't even take off the little touch up paint I have on one rim.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:44 PM   #8
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
Nope. I use this stuff every wash on my wheels. Doesn't even take off the little touch up paint I have on one rim.
Every wash?!?

That's how you burn money right there. Any iron decon product needs to be used maybe twice a year if you maintain it. Stick to cleaning with soap and water after you've have decon'd it. Of course, you can wash however you want, but that's literally wasting so much money right there

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Every wash?!?

That's how you burn money right there. Any iron decon product needs to be used maybe twice a year if you maintain it. Stick to cleaning with soap and water after you've have decon'd it. Of course, you can wash however you want, but that's literally wasting so much money right there
I do mine for time purposes. The ZL1 rims are a PITA to clean due to all the lips and the 10 spokes. I would spend 10+ min per rim compared to 3-5 with the deep wheel cleaner.

The soap and water causes water spots on my wheels, so I don't use it. Also, I used to use soap and water and it smears the brake dust when I wipe it off. IMO soap and water makes the black wheels look horrible.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #10
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm2 View Post
Yes. And as an added bonus, it smells less foul than most of the other products like it.
Still smells awful. I bought one bottle, and couldn't wait till I was rid of it. I had to keep it double bagged and in the basement.

I went back to green wheel cleaner. I didn't notice a difference in performance between the two products, except GWC is much easier to use, and doesn't smell at all.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #11
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
I do mine for time purposes. The ZL1 rims are a PITA to clean due to all the lips and the 10 spokes. I would spend 10+ min per rim compared to 3-5 with the deep wheel cleaner.

The soap and water causes water spots on my wheels, so I don't use it. Also, I used to use soap and water and it smears the brake dust when I wipe it off. IMO soap and water makes the black wheels look horrible.
I've cleaned those wheels for a consistent customer before, I know your struggle lol. They do suck. As long as you're getting the results that you want, that's all that matters Although, I still stick to what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk_art View Post
Still smells awful. I bought one bottle, and couldn't wait till I was rid of it. I had to keep it double bagged and in the basement.

I went back to green wheel cleaner. I didn't notice a difference in performance between the two products, except GWC is much easier to use, and doesn't smell at all.
The difference is in what you don't see. It removes iron particles, whereas the green wheel cleaner doesn't.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:17 AM   #12
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk_art View Post
Buy a bottle of any of the other wheel cleaners in that category and take a whiff... you'll be begging for the smell of DWC again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
The difference is in what you don't see. It removes iron particles, whereas the green wheel cleaner doesn't.
Green Wheel is good for breaking down surface bonded contamination, but doesn't touch stubborn brake dust.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:11 PM   #13
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
I've used Adam's DWC on my stock SS rims and have been happy with the result.
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:12 AM   #14
Cam77

Drives: 2015 2SS/1LE/NPP
Quote:
Good to know...as this will be a future purchase!
Cam77 is offline   Reply With Quote