Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #113
Royal Tiger
Sd Kfz 182

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99 GFX Convertible
I doubt I’ll see full integration of driverless cars in my lifetime. I’m 47 now. There are too many hurdles and obstacles. Maybe we’ll see things like delivery trucks and taxi cabs, but not the banning of driving. Thank god.

As for the 191 “poor pedestrians”, as a certified collision reconstructionist that has investigated hundreds of crashes involving pedestrians, just from memory, the pedestrian was at fault far more often than the driver.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #114
frostys

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
When it comes to this technology, I guess my issue with it is not so much execution, but purpose. Why? Exactly what problem is this technology really going to serve outside of saving some companies money in not having to hire actual people as drivers?
The other benefit will be the less total number of crash on the roads. Are we there yet? IDK but it will head that way. The issue with human driver is that for every actual good driver that know what they are doing and actually do it right, there is one who "know" what he is doing and does it "right". The more time you spend on roads, the faster you realize the place is filled with not so good driver that will benefit from driving aids and self-driving cars.
frostys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #115
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostys View Post
The other benefit will be the less total number of crash on the roads. Are we there yet? IDK but it will head that way. The issue with human driver is that for every actual good driver that know what they are doing and actually do it right, there is one who "know" what he is doing and does it "right". The more time you spend on roads, the faster you realize the place is filled with not so good driver that will benefit from driving aids and self-driving cars.
Not sure what you're trying to say, but it sounds like you're OK with everybody being dumbed down to the same inadequate level.

Norm
Old 03-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #116
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Not sure what you're trying to say, but it sounds like you're OK with everybody being dumbed down to the same inadequate level.

Norm

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #117
CrazyRED

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty35 View Post
Well I interpreted it to mean that we should be ready and willing to give up our cars in favor of self driving cars.
Since you are arguing in favor of , then you should go first.
Not a chance. I love driving and racing. Never once did you see me in favor of getting rid of anything. I do, however, like to be able to take my foot off the accelerator and stretch out my legs on long drives.
CrazyRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #118
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2hip8 View Post
http://www.wibw.com/content/news/Ube...477288663.html

So, who is going to be held accountable for this? The person behind the wheel or the programmer?
Uber
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | Thinkware F750 front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties |Novistretch bra and mirror covers |Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #119
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Well I interpreted it to mean that we should be ready and willing to give up our cars in favor of self driving cars.
Since you are arguing in favor of , then you should go first.
The existence of self-driving cars does not equal the elimination of people's privilege and ability to drive. Autonomous cars and people driven cars will co-exist for the foreseeable future.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | Thinkware F750 front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties |Novistretch bra and mirror covers |Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 03-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #120
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRED View Post
I do, however, like to be able to take my foot off the accelerator and stretch out my legs on long drives.
I don't know how old you are, but I can tell you that age and bladder capacity does have a way of solving that problem for you.

Norm
Old 03-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #121
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
When it comes to this technology, I guess my issue with it is not so much execution, but purpose. Why? Exactly what problem is this technology really going to serve outside of saving some companies money in not having to hire actual people as drivers?
  • Providing transportation options for people who cannot drive due to infirmity (blindness, paraplegic, nervous disorders), are too young to drive, or too old or ill to drive
  • Allow for re-purposing of the "family car". An owner could drive themselves to work, then send the car home to take the kids that are too young to drive, to school. Same thing picking up after school
  • Allow family car to perform errands while the owners are otherwise occupied. Take elderly parents to doctor's appointments, pick up dry cleaning, etc
  • Allow the driver to relax on long trips where the car is capable of interacting with the road, highway signs, and other vehicles in order to arrive at a destination safely

Quote:
As far as distracted drivers go, that is a problem that has grown, largely, as a result of technology. It is certainly a large and very important problem, and I'm not sure that an automated vehicle is the solution.

An automated vehicle can be programmed to "see" potential dangers, I'm sure. But what kind of dangers, how far ahead, and what are defined as potential dangers. Will and automated car be able to "see" kids playing soccer in the neighborhood park and realize the potential for the ball to kicked into the street and a child chasing that ball? Will and automated car be able to recognize a potential danger or change in traffic a block in advance? Will an automated car be able "see" the erratic driver weaving in and out of traffic? How do you program an automated car for a zipper merge due to temporary lane closure? How do you program and automated car to react to that a*hole that doesn't know how to zipper merge? Just too many one off variables that I don't think even the most advanced A.I. is ready for this kind of real world application.
All of the scenarios you have described have been tested for and more. For most of those, you don't need a fully automated car. There are 5 levels of autonomous. The things you have described can be managed by a Level 2 autonomous vehicle. In essence, anything with Adaptive Cruise + Lane Keeping Assist + Front and Rear Collision Mitigation + safety systems and cameras integrated with GPS. Several of those cars already on the market. Cadillac CT6 is probably the best example.

Quote:
Advancing technology for the betterment of mankind is one thing, advancing technology just for sake of technology is something else. I can see no real purpose or value in an automated vehicle, other than giving that distracted driver a free license to remain distracted.

Every problem has a solution and every solution has a problem. I see this as one solution that creates more problems than it solves, at least in the foreseeable future.
I may add more later. I literally have to switch over to a 3 - 4 pm consulting conference call. Topic? Autonomous Vehicles

Peace,
James

Old 03-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #122
CrazyRED

Quote:
I care about the " 191 pedestrian fatalities per day"
Does the automated Volvo XC90 care about the person it killed?
Absolutely not! Do you think emotions make you a good driver? I do however believe that the development team cares and I'm sure they are working right now to try to figure out if there's a way to prevent a tragedy like this from happening in the future.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #123
CrazyRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
I think he means that you implied that your NON-Computer driven Camaro is dangerous to the public, since you are driving it and not a computer. Why should we, the public, be put in danger because YOU decided to drive your own Camaro and not let the SAFER computer do the driving for you. After all, progress is progress. Therefore, with such stated progress, it is logical to assume that one day, a law will be passed BANNING all self-driven vehicles. What a world. I guess going out for a Sunday drive just got real boring. Soooo, be the first one to put your money where your mouth is and sell your NON-COMPUTER DRIVEN CAMARO!
Never once in this thread have I ever implied such absurdity. If, someday, the US majority votes to decided to get rid of manually driven cars then I guess we'll all have to comply or be criminals. However, I don't for one second think that is coming in my lifetime or yours, and I certainly don't welcome it.

But, thank you for trying to twist my words into something I didn't say to fit your agenda. I'm am not hardline one way or the other, I am just open minded to the possibilities of something better. If autonomous vehicles take over our country I will be the first to come back to this thread and admit I was wrong.... That is if the cars allow me to lol
Old 03-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #124
CrazyRED

Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but I can tell you that age and bladder capacity does have a way of solving that problem for you.

Norm
LMAO! That was funny Norm
Old 03-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #125
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:

Norm

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #126
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2011 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
  • Providing transportation options for people who cannot drive due to infirmity (blindness, paraplegic, nervous disorders), are too young to drive, or too old or ill to drive
  • Allow for re-purposing of the "family car". An owner could drive themselves to work, then send the car home to take the kids that are too young to drive, to school. Same thing picking up after school
  • Allow family car to perform errands while the owners are otherwise occupied. Take elderly parents to doctor's appointments, pick up dry cleaning, etc
  • Allow the driver to relax on long trips where the car is capable of interacting with the road, highway signs, and other vehicles in order to arrive at a destination safely

All of the scenarios you have described have been tested for and more. For most of those, you don't need a fully automated car. There are 5 levels of autonomous. The things you have described can be managed by a Level 2 autonomous vehicle. In essence, anything with Adaptive Cruise + Lane Keeping Assist + Front and Rear Collision Mitigation + safety systems and cameras integrated with GPS. Several of those cars already on the market. Cadillac CT6 is probably the best example.

I may add more later. I literally have to switch over to a 3 - 4 pm consulting conference call. Topic? Autonomous Vehicles

Peace,
James
Sounds like you've bought the sales pitch hook, line and sinker. lol
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote