Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
225.8 MPH World Record 5th Gen Camaro :updated with video

Update:

The video from the mile pass...

So, the Official Texas Mile occurred this past weekend.

Through four and a half years of trial and error we've learned, bled, sweated and finally managed to accomplish our goal of setting a world record for the fastest 5th Generation Camaro in a standing mile. We were able to make a pass of 225.8 mph on Saturday morning. While I was on a faster pass after this, I managed not to finish that pass... October is another event and I fully plan on pushing the record further.

So, my first pass off the trailer Friday morning was very respectable and it was a personal record. I managed to hit the splits of 131.9 at the 1/4 mile, 177.7 at the half mile and finished the run at 220.8 mph. We were super excited with this result. I missed second gear on this pass... (Too much adrenaline)

My second run Friday I had much better results off the line with a 141.3 mph 1/4 mile, 180.5 at the half and after shifting out of 4th too early, and falling under the cam, I finished at 217.5 mph... My car makes power from just over 6,000 rpm on up to 9,000... by shifting at 7,500, i fell to about 5,900-6,000 rpm in 5th and the wind and rolling resistance would not allow for any notable acceleration in 5th, so I rolled through the traps and we had good data.

I picked up my chute at the ticket window and as I was driving off, I went to shift from 1st to 2nd and as my foot was coming off the clutch the pedal fell hard to the floor and stayed there... I was able to lift it with my foot and get her back into first gear. I called Corey and told him what happened and he said to bring her on back to the pits. A bit of searching and we determined that the clutch line has burned through... Mark and Kevin of M2K Motorsports went above and beyond digging through their trailer and finding bits and pieces that we could use and assembling almost a complete braided clutch line with fitting and adapters.

On my first pass Saturday, we set the new world record for a 5th Gen Camaro.

We prepped the car, and launched when our turn came up. The term launch is a misnomer, as this car is about like launching a battleship in mud... "quick" and my car should never be mentioned in the same sentence... Things happen at the speed of a slug, until we get to about 4,000 rpm's, and the boost tries to pick up where the cam isn't awake yet... finally when the moon and stars align, at 6,000 to 6,200 rpm's shi... stuff starts happening in a huge hurry.

It's almost as if a truck has hit me in the ass-end... This car explodes down the track....Traction control is about all that keeps it from ending up in the grass backwards at speeds upwards of 200 mph... Brandi kind of dances her backside all the way down the track... at breakneck speeds.... I really can't describe how hard she accelerates... sometimes the dance is relatively controllable and other times it's a razors edge of control...

So, I launch, she comes alive, and then I hit second and stand on it... I go past the 1/4 mile sign at 140.8 mph, darting in little sharp turns back and forth across the race lane... never out of control but right on the edge... and slam it into the gate for third.. dammit, clutch it again and finally slam it into third... off the clutch and on the loud pedal again... I lost the boost I had built up so we have to build that again... finally it comes on... and off we go, approaching the 1/2 mile sign which I fly past at 184.2 mph.... Dammit, I missed 4th, not as bad, but enough to loose both a little speed and the built up energy again... I'm not feeling too hopeful on this pass and figure it's back to the pits and regroup... but I still have to finish the pass... Might as well gather the DATA we can... I finally run out of 4th and hit 5th and stand on it... she pulled pretty well in 5th but nothing to write home about... I pass the trap and toss the laundry out... a comfortable (though somewhat violent) jerk hits and I lift off the throttle and cruise down to the turn off lane...

There is a pass through lane for speed tickets, and those car that use chutes or need assistance go outside the coned area to keep traffic moving... So, the AirTech of Houston Mustang is sitting near the ticket window and I pull up next to and just behind him... The driver is obviously excited and jumping around... He tells me to open the passenger door... I still have my helmet, gloves, harness, HANS device, radios etc hooked up in addition to the window nets and door bar, so I'm kind of a captive at the moment... the ticket dude comes over and hands me my speed ticket...and I start giggling, but I manage to open the passenger window and unlock the door... The driver for M2K gathers my chute and dumps it in the passenger window... I finally manage to climb out of the car and after the driver told me they now had the record for the fastest Mustang pass ever in the Mile, at 232.X mph.... He gave me a big ole hug of excitement... and then I finally got to tell him I now had the record for the Fastest 5th Gen Camaro ever in a "Standing Mile" at 225.8 mph, and he yells nuther hug... The clock readout for the mile only stated 225.4, so my crew figured I had missed the record by 0.3 mph... It was an anomaly... The printed ticket is the official speed. (Back to Back World Record Runs...) I was stoked and couldn't stop giggling... He asked me why I was giggling and I mentioned that I had beaten the record by 0.1 mph... the bar was set very high by the previous owner of the record who was in attendance and competing in this event... We high fived about a dozen times until his support crew showed up to take the car back to the pits... Bare in mind the M2K driver of the Mustang was one of the guys that helped me fabricate a replacement hydraulic clutch line when we smoked mine... I have nothing but Love for the M2K guys... They assisted in keeping my weekend going....

So, I get back in Brandi and drive to the pits with a grin that won't stop... and then I get this idea... My crew has no idea... so, I make it to my pit are, back under the tent, and sit there with this goofy grin... My crew starts making it back and I manage a forlorn downtrodden look... at least for a short time... One of the guys reaches for the ticket and the grin returns... and the laughing as they realize we've done it... four and a half years of trying, a trail of broken parts, and finally, all the effort and time is worth it...

I made a second pass Saturday evening... Prepped the car, checked tire pressures, added in some fuel, and with a freshly packed 14 foot cross form brake (parachute) I headed to the grid.

I launched, his second, went through the 1/4 mile at 134.4, grabbed 3rd and the clutch pedal again slammed to the floor though as I was hard back on the gas pedal... there is a point in the RPM's range of an alternator they give up, we found mine... I hit 8700 rpm and the alternator said enough... I didn't know it at the moment but it happened and a lot of weird stuff happens when it quits... I was able to pull the clutch pedal up with the toe of my left foot... back on the gas, lost some energy and momentum, but still went through the half mile shifting into 4th at 182.2 mph... ran out the mile and managed a 220.6 mph pass. We are guessing that there was a small air bubble in the line after we bled the clutch... Everything checked out ok other than the alternator.... racecar...

Saturday evening shortly before I made my pass, a good friend in his ZL1 chunked a rod out the side of his block and went through the finish area with a huge sheet of flame trailing behind the car.. He was able to get her safely shut down and off the track... He is offering a trot line anchor for any cat fishing persons out there... The car is fine though the motor is toast....

Sunday morning another friend chunked a rod out both side of his block resulting in another flaming car going through the shutdown area... He burned the chute off the car in addition to most of the wiring from the bell housing back, and a lot of cosmetic burns... He deployed his fire system prior to getting stopped and was able to salvage most of the car... It'll be back...

We were able to get the alternator back online at least for a short time Sunday morning... It quit again when I launched... but, I made the best pass to date until the end... 146.3 at the 1/4 mile, 185.1 at the half, and i was on lock waiting for the shift light in 4th gear, without having missed any shifts.. and either I missed it or it didn't go off... I ran into the hard rev limiter at 8700 rpm and she fell on her face right before the trap... I finished with a 222.0 pass... Corey saw 230 on the data log... Oh well...

I learn something on every pass and all of this will assist me when I go back out on the track next time...

There are so many people involved with this project... Corey, my builder/tuner and project manager...
Alan, the electronics wizard...

Justin, (CamaroSkooter)
Rachael, resident cheerleader and PITA... wouldn't be the same without her there...
Sam, (Happy Pappy, who also ran this event in his wicked Kenne Bell boosted 2010 Camaro going 177 mph..)
Marsha, Sams wife and our amazing Camp Hostess and amazing cook...
Sean Gustin, Words can't express my love for this man and his family...
Justin Stephens, Another for which words can't do justice...
Mirko Latkovic,
Chris, (Atti2de)
Glen Smith of Black Jack Speed Shop
Doug, (Tag Ur It)
Matt,
Tom, (brother)
Mike (brother)

Thomas Hendrix, of Hendrix Engineering who, with his son, drove 17+ hours from South Carolina to be in attendance with us as we tried for a record pass... Thomas is my vendor of choice for anything related to clutches, axles and differentials/gearing... It was a genuine pleasure having Thomas and his son with us in Texas... You are always welcome back...

Andres Vivanco, or ERL Performance, who flew into the area to also be in attendance with us as we tried for the world record pass... Andres was the representative also quoted in the LSXTV Magazine article of Brandi...

And SO MANY OTHERS that support me from a distance, with encouraging messages and thoughts of safe passes... Thanks all of you...

Tim, Blake, Bryan, Will, Mike, Mike, Stone,

Two side notes about M2K. When my dad passed away last year, my brother and I went through his collection of die cast cars. We found a GT40 car that was in the original paint scheme of Blue and Orange. I asked if I could give it to someone and my brother gave his approval... The M2K GT40 is the current record holder for the fastest standing mile car anywhere of any type... which by the way they increased at this event with a 279.9 mph pass... The old record of theirs was 278.2. That car is wicked fast... So anyway, I had opportunity to meet Kevin of M2K when I went to the Houston area and stopped in to give my dads car to them. They were super appreciative and took photos of the die cast sitting on the actual world record holding GT40 and posted them on several social media locations.

So, at the mile I smoke the clutch line, and M2K jumps in and scrounge the braided lines and fittings we needed to make repairs. We did have to pick up two pieces in town, Thanks Sam, (HappyPappy here on the boards) but they pulled out all the stops to make it happen... My brother was at the mile with me, and he told me that my dad had spoken with Mark of M2K two years before at the mile... My dad was an Aggie and so is Mark... Mark saw my dad looking at the GT 40 and wearing a Maroon hat and they ended up talking for about 30 minutes... I pointed this out to Mark and he remembered the conversation and it got emotional for both of us as he made the connection as to where the die cast came from... These guys are absolutely class acts...

M2K, Kudos to both of your new World Records this weekend...

Videos will follow when they are compiled and edited...

Name:  9585_967596793323038_8202092018857598722_n.jpg
Views: 5140
Size:  56.3 KB

Name:  12938343_966874310061953_6882120186254546582_n.jpg
Views: 5082
Size:  100.9 KB

Name:  12923217_966772756738775_7732150796195813510_n.jpg
Views: 4952
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  940899_966772800072104_3670981991947266434_n.jpg
Views: 4910
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  942555_10206021422644498_7854444749249323342_n.jpg
Views: 4910
Size:  45.0 KB

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

The Official Certificate

And here is the resultant document certifying the effort...

Name:  12916186_1309418039074172_9105391390557236063_o.jpg
Views: 4857
Size:  108.7 KB

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 04-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Watching this build from day one has given me a true appreciation for what it takes to accomplish something like this. Kudos to you and Cory Henderson for sticking with it. When things got tough you guys just kept pushing forward.

This "World Record" couldn't be held by a more stand up person and team.

Congratulations bud
Old 04-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Nice story and what an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing. Gives me motivation to install my Black-Iceolator!

Curious as to why the clutch line burned in the first place? Too close to something or worn out insulation? Also, is it the alternator that determines a max of 8700 RPM, or something else...
Old 04-05-2016, 07:19 PM   #5
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Watching this build from day one has given me a true appreciation for what it takes to accomplish something like this. Kudos to you and Cory Henderson for sticking with it. When things got tough you guys just kept pushing forward.

This "World Record" couldn't be held by a more stand up person and team.

Congratulations bud
Thanks Mike... It's been a journey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
Nice story and what an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing. Gives me motivation to install my Black-Iceolator!

Curious as to why the clutch line burned in the first place? Too close to something or worn out insulation? Also, is it the alternator that determines a max of 8700 RPM, or something else...
The clutch line was the original piece, with the rubber section in the middle of it... We had the trans out just a week before and I rerouted it too close to the turbo collector... The heat shielding was even melted... That's entirely on me.. I routed the clutch line after I finished installing the back pressure sensors.. .

As for the alternator, the unit itself didn't like the RPM's. We spoke with the vendor about the harmonic balancer pulley size, engine RPM's etc, and they sized it... They have been good so far and gave us an RMA so it'll be sent back for them to evaluate...

As for the limiter... We had the hard limiter set in ProEFI at 8700, shift light was set at 8200, and I was supposed to react and shift before 8500... When the clutch slapped to the floor and I was already on the gas, it slammed into the hard limiter... So we know it saw 8700, and quit working... It had seen 8500 a couple times with no issue...

Get that car built and come join us... It's a blast...

Old 04-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Awesome.

Congrats.

Another kick ass ZL1 setting records. I love it!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:51 PM   #7
Kvillase

Drives: 2011 2SS LS3 Camaro
wow!

thats it.

just wow!
Kvillase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:16 PM   #8
nosmr2

Drives: 2011 L99 SS
Too many words

nosmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:56 AM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Awesome.

Congrats.

Another kick ass ZL1 setting records. I love it!
Nope, just a little old 2010 SS.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:30 AM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Robert....Congrats buddy.....its been one hell of a ride, that's for sure!
Old 04-06-2016, 06:24 AM   #11
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Wow, amazing speed, build, time, effort and dedication. It takes it all to make it work and from that comes a new Camaro speed record. I am so excited and thrilled for you.

Maybe I can make it down next year to help with the cheering/support section of this great team. I would have the time of my life seeing these cars hitting those speeds.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:53 AM   #12
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Great news man! I know it was hard, but worth it in the end I bet.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:26 AM   #13
13coupe

Drives: Crystal Red 1SS Coupe 6spd manual
Congratulations! Awesome job. Thanks for the back story on how it all went down, not just the stats. As a road racer I understand those records are sometimes hard to come by. Great job!
13coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:11 AM   #14
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Wow, that's hauling the mail! Congrats on the record! Great write-up too. Felt like I was in the passenger seat.
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote