Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #29
MarkSS

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by karve View Post
Thanks for sharing info and pics! I've always wanted to do the Power Tour but reading some of your posts I question if it's really worth it... Would you do it again?
This was my 8th Power Tour (not always the full Long Haul though), and if you like cars, you will love the Power Tour. Yes, sometimes parking in the venue can take a while (it was the best this year of any I have done), and the weather can't be controlled, but it is a rolling, 7 day, 7 city car show! If you don't see a hundred cars a day that you love, you don't really like cars. Best of all, you see many of them on the road... my favorite memory of a car on the road was a 67 Chevelle gasser that merged onto the highway in front of us.

Hanging out with Power Tour people at the hotels is another highlight. I met a guy from Virginia who was on the Tour with a 1966 Corvette that he has owned since 1973. It has 4:56 gears and the original 4 speed! That is hard core, but he did the whole route.

You also get a chance to drag race and autocross as well as free dyno testing. My kids got autographs from John and Courtney Force and in the past have seen Richard Petty, Ken Lingenfelter, Vic Edelbrock and others.

Definitely a must try for any car guy in my opinion.
MarkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #30
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
I went in '09 and loved it. Thanks for sharing, its nice to see your experience.
SOLD: 2010 2SS/RS L99-A6 K&N CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back. Tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. 1/LE rear suspension conversion, Bilstein B6 Stuts/shocks.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:24 AM   #31
Liquidity
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
No offense but it seems to me there should be some kind of incentive to participate? The time involved/gas expenses/driving long distances/time off from work/etc ... Somebody is making money be it the advertisers or whomever? Don't read me wrong I'm all for having fun with group rides but there still must be incentives. Personally, I would not drive long distances in a group or parade situation unless everyone was benefiting ... just my two cents.
Liquidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:11 AM   #32
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
No offense but it seems to me there should be some kind of incentive to participate? The time involved/gas expenses/driving long distances/time off from work/etc ... Somebody is making money be it the advertisers or whomever? Don't read me wrong I'm all for having fun with group rides but there still must be incentives. Personally, I would not drive long distances in a group or parade situation unless everyone was benefiting ... just my two cents.
When I read your first post I thought you were joking around.

What car event or show pays its participants? This is like the ultimate vacation if you're are car guy. Not everyone needs to go to the beach or go on an ocean cruise. I hope to do it some year.

Incentive is the participants entertainment.
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #33
Liquidity
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28 HLR View Post
Cost of trip (Hotel, gas, food): $3,000
Cost of a new windshield: $ 289
Watching your kid smile for 2 weeks: PRICELESS
1) Hotel - Gas - Food: $3,000+ (more like $4,000).

2) Parts Broken/Replaced: $1,000 -/+

3) Extra Mileage Increase: Decrease Value of Car: $3-5,000

4) Time off from Job: $______ ?
-----------------------------------
$10,000 (plus or minus)

That is a lot of green and time but hey whatever if you guys have fun.

To put this into perspective for $10,000 I could fly to Cozumel with my buds and have a one week Tarpon Fishing Trip.

Last edited by Liquidity; 06-22-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #34
GMteSSted

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Well GM Performance gave away two $5,000 gift certificates.
Everyday on the main stage the vendors and sponsors give away thousands of dollars in prizes.
GMteSSted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #35
Liquidity
Account Suspended

Quote:
What memories will you be able to share with your kids years from now? "I go so drunk in Cozumel with my buds back then, it was wild!"?
A little jealous maybe? Damn. Well, I'm single and proud because you could not pay me to be married today, because marriage and kids are overrated not to mention these days it does not pay to be married. I don't even drink but nice try bro .... I guess you are trying to justify the Power Tour, and hey whatever if that is what makes you happy. In the meantime me and my $10k will fly to Elbow Cay for a ONE MONTH Fishing excursion with my Buds!
Old 06-22-2017, 09:05 AM   #36
roost3r
@ElHefeZ28

Drives: 2015 White Z28
Quote:
Jealous, no. To each his own.

I offer a public apology to Camaroland's Liquidity. On these forums, you really never know who is on the other end and what their lives are. All we share is a love of the Z/28. I meant no disrespect to your life and lifestyle, again to each his own.

I will however tell you that there was a high percentage of 'buds' traveling together on this thing. I stay away from car events, but this one was a lot of fun, you'd be surprised. You own the car, you really should enjoy it some because no matter what your life is like, you can't take it with you.

In the end we all end up as 15 or so letters engraved on a piece of stone. That one I learned from a dear friend who tried and tried to teach me this years back, I was like you. Now he is gone, so his words ring especially true. And being ill, this rings even louder to me.

I'll delete this thread later, it was never meant as a source of contention.
No don't delete it. I enjoyed following it along. As you said to each his own and he has an opinion as we all do. You seem like a good person and Id leave it there. Its an everyone gets a trophy world and thats whats wrong with it. Thanks for sharing and taking us all along your ride!
roost3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #37
MarkSS

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Quote:
I wish this was true for racing as well... it is way more expensive than the Power Tour. I am available for sponsorships.
MarkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #38
Liquidity
Account Suspended

No hard feelings bud and I hope to attend The Power Tour myself one day.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #39
karve

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #737, 2014 Ford Raptor
This event has been added to the bucket list. Hopefully 2018 it will be marked off
karve is offline   Reply With Quote