Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
sam.u.el

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Rally Yellow w/ blk
Underhood Photos?

I didnt get much help in the cosmetics section so I hope you all forgive me for asking it here.

Looking through the photos from the camaro5 fest I noticed cars with very nice looking pictures on the bottom of their hood that you can see when its fully open.

I wanted to know if they were mostly just the underlining of the stock hood that was just painted/airbrushed or if it was some sort of aftermarket plastic peice that you buy and then get it painted? Some of them looked glossy or like they reflected light which makes me wonder if it was plastic or not.

If anyone can chime in and clear that up for me i would greatly appreciate it! And if any of you have what I'm talking about, feel free to post up your pics of it. I love the way they look .

Thank you all in advance!
sam.u.el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Usually, you buy a piece that replaces the padding. Could have a polished finish, painted or a wrap. Your choice. Lots of places sell them. Try STW graphics. They also have wraps for the engine cover. Heat resistant and can be left on. I don't simply because I like to be cautious and keep mine clean. I have left it on for weeks, and had no problems. ended up clear coating mine to provide scratch protection.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Some of the ones from my club were actually painted on the hood pad. Then a couple are actually the metal of the hood finished/painted with the hood pad removed with one also adding some chrome pieces. There are a number of vendors who spacialize in this stuff. Sooooooooooo all of the above.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Mine was air brushed by a guy named Corrado up in Toronto. I contacted him and he simply went to the local GM dealer and bought a new hood liner. When he painted mine he even painted the push pegs that hold the liner to the hood.
Attached Images

OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
Mine was air brushed by a guy named Corrado up in Toronto. I contacted him and he simply went to the local GM dealer and bought a new hood liner. When he painted mine he even painted the push pegs that hold the liner to the hood.
That looks fantastic, love the artwork.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
sam.u.el

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Rally Yellow w/ blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
That looks great! Do you mind if i ask how much he charged for the work?

Btw thanks for the responses! I didnt get anything in the cosmetics section so once again thank you
sam.u.el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Of the ones I've seen they painted the pad that came with the car. I think it's a great idea to buy a new one from a dealer to have painted.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:53 AM   #8
OHIOSS
Russ

Thanks for the compliments. It was my design and the guy made it exactly like I wanted it.

Not cheap, it was over $1,200 to have it done. The artist sent me progress pictures almost every day and I would let him know if I wanted anything changed.

A guy from a car show took a pic of my car with the hood closed, then got down on his knees and took a pic of just the hood liner, when the two pics were combined the liner looked almost exactly like my car. The guy is an amazing artist and obviously his work shows it.

Russ
Old 08-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
moserbe

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
That's a great piece of art!
moserbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #10
rangomr

Drives: Oracle Camaro has all the bells &
WILL IT HOLD UP FROM THE HEAT OF THE ENGINE,SUN, ETC?????? I'm talking about the paint on the pad of course... Hope that's a little more clear

Last edited by rangomr; 08-13-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: add to it
rangomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
OHIOSS
Russ

There are 6 coats of clear coat over the art work. I've had it for 2 years and there isn't a mark on it. The Camaro isn't my daily driver and I don't drive it in the winter. The artist has some that he did more than 5 years ago and show zero signs of damage. I think he usually puts on 3 coats of clear, I asked him to put 6 coats.

If the car was a daily driver and you wanted to remove the liner it literally takes 30 seconds to pull the pins and remove it.

Here is the guys website if you want to check out some of his other work.

http://www.corradomurals.com/

He asked if he could post my hoodliner on his website and of course I said yes.

Russ
Old 08-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
OHIOSS
Russ

Doesn't anyone else have any pics to add? I would love to see what else you guys have done. I seen a few @ Camarofest but not very many.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
500hpbluez28
YUDLOSE

Drives: Supercharged 2010 ABM 1SS
Here are a few of mine. My guy didnt spray anything over the mural so I have been trying to figure out for awhile if there is something I can use on the liner to protect it but will not harm/mess up the artwork? Anyone got any suggestions or better yet, used a product and it worked?
Attached Images

Trey Jenkins
2010 Supercharged ABM SS Camaro LS3 #400 Order Number: NJGC85 Build Date: 06/24/2009
1996 Blue Z/28 Camaro 396 stroker in the process
1994 Red Z/28 Camaro
500hpbluez28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
LRod

Drives: 2SS/RS/A6 Victory Red
The airbrushing looks great! I am also looking for a way to get a photo type mural on the hood liner. I know I've seen a place out of NY that can put photo type images on a metal liner, but then you have to bolt it on due to the weight. I am also curious if there is another way to get a crystal clear type photo on the liner. I take it, that it would be impossible to put a wrap on the hoodliner right? If anybody has any ideas, please post. Being that I am a big KISS fan, I would like to get a photo image under the hood.