Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #15
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
What about road course use? Wouldn't a stall overheat the trans? Also daily stop and go traffic?

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:26 PM   #16
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
I daily mine in heat, snow, rain, traffic, highway, etc, and it stays cool thanks to the extra tranny cooler.

Honestly, the L99 should have come factory with 3.91s and a 3200 converter!!!

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:53 PM   #17
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
I daily mine in heat, snow, rain, traffic, highway, etc, and it stays cool thanks to the extra tranny cooler.

No doubt
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:04 PM   #18
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post

I daily mine in all of these conditions as well, except the snow. No way my car would get up/down the hills here.

But my 3200 stall, and 3.91, provide no benefit for daily driving. The benefit is at the drag strip, where I can launch the car at WOT, and hold it there. The only thing the converter does for daily driving is kill my city MPG.

I would never drive it like this on the street though. It would never hook from a start, it would spin/slide all over the road.
More importantly a danger to me and other drivers, and at WOT I'd quickly be exceeding speed limits by 30mph plus, good way to lose your license/go to jail. No thanks.

I'll have my fun where it's legal to do it.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:40 PM   #19
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Maybe it doesn't help out in your daily driving, but it sounds like to me you don't really have anywhere you can actually drive your car and/or the speed limits are only 30 mph.

I also have no idea why you have no traction, unless I"m really on it my car hooks fairly well and I"m on somewhat worn Azurro AZ850s in 275, not the stickiest of tires.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:13 PM   #20
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Aftermarket cam/converter is a good idea only when the converter is right for the cam.

I have stock cam and a converter. Recommendation of proper one to get given to me by by Circle D.

If I had a GPI stage I VVT cam, as the OP does, I would contact Ryan @ GPI before I added a converter, so I would have the PROPER one for this cam.

You can't just slap one in and call it good, it has to match the cam.

If you drive at lower RPM's like the OP stated he does, and you have a stalled converter, a transmission cooler is a must, along with a trans temp gauge. Unless you don't mind buying a new transmission.

As the OP has already stated, he just enjoys "getting on it when he can". So a converter is really not needed. If I wasn't taking my car to the dragstrip, I wouldn't have one. City gas MPG absolutely sucks with it. But you gotta pay to play.
Sorry I could have worded that better. I just meant it's a good performance mod I wasn't thinking about gas mileage or drivablity. I would always consult the manufacturer or tuner before adding a stall.
12.391 112 MPH 10/05/19
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:43 AM   #21
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
I think you need to have GPI take a look at the tune. This is not a converter issue. Do you have a hand held tuner? See if Ryan can do an email tune and it could save you a drive. Better to tune it in person but it is worth a try to save a trip.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:20 PM   #22
RR68

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro RS SS Conv
I am using a Yank 2800 and do not regret it at all. Everyone told me don't waste my time with a stall that small, but it took nearly 7 tenths off the quarter mile time, 60' went from 2.0's to 1.7's. Only other change was a CAI. It drives very well, wasn't looking to make a race car, just help the car from a stop, and it did that. Transmission temperature is the same as when the stock converter was in, assuming the factory gauge is accurate.
RR68 is offline   Reply With Quote