Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-13-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
Tony Camaro

Drives: 2013 1LS
Engine problem

I've got a 2013 LS I bought a year ago and I've noticed a problem developing with the engine. It had 68,480 miles when I got it and a thousand miles later it would hesitate sometimes when accelerating and the CEL would flash for a few seconds. I took it to a chevy dealer and told them about it and the guy that drove it said he didn't notice any problems.

Fast-forward today at 75k miles and it always hesitates now. I plugged my OBD2 reader while driving one day and caught a cylinder 1 misfire code. I changed all my spark plugs almost 4k miles ago. What do you think it could be? I think it's the ignition coils or the fuel injectors, but I don't know how I could test them.
Tony Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:12 AM   #2
swampcritter

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS / 13 zl1
I would pull the intake and clean the valves.There was a write up on here on how to do it.Try in the DIY section or try the search button.These direct injection engines don't have the fuel washing valves off because it is shot directly into the cylinder. Look into a catch can .While your at it clean the throttle body,mass air flow meter and your air intake tube to the filter.
swampcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:59 AM   #3
Sparko

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Ignition coils, plug wires could both be issues. I've noticed vermin like sneaking under that vanity cover and nesting near the plugs so checking for electrical damage there is a good idea.

Cleaning the intake components like previously stated is a great idea. PCV cleaning if all that looks good could be in order or fuel filter. Just thinking of all the things that could create restrictions in any sort of flow and cleaning it up before getting wild and throwing parts at it is a good idea. Too many people just don't maintain a clean motor and shit gets sludgy and gross.
'87 HD FXRT - Wrecked pending repair
Sparko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:03 AM   #4
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Camaro View Post
I've got a 2013 LS I bought a year ago and I've noticed a problem developing with the engine. It had 68,480 miles when I got it and a thousand miles later it would hesitate sometimes when accelerating and the CEL would flash for a few seconds. I took it to a chevy dealer and told them about it and the guy that drove it said he didn't notice any problems.

Fast-forward today at 75k miles and it always hesitates now. I plugged my OBD2 reader while driving one day and caught a cylinder 1 misfire code. I changed all my spark plugs almost 4k miles ago. What do you think it could be? I think it's the ignition coils or the fuel injectors, but I don't know how I could test them.
If your reader show cyl 1 misfire then you could replace #1 cyl coil or switch #1 coil with another one and see if the fault, if any shows up again, follows to the coil or cyl you switch the “bad” coil to and at that point replace bad coil.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:28 AM   #5
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
stock plug wires? throw them out...seen lots of rust and corrosion in them...then move on to the coils if need be...also how old is the battery and have you cleaned your grounds?

good luck

PEACE
Old 01-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #6
Tony Camaro

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll start cleaning everything today or tomorrow if it doesn't rain and I'll see if that helps. Then I can replace parts if needed.

When I changed my spark plugs a few months ago I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary like nesting animals; just little spider nests in my old cabin air filter. I also cleaned my throttle body and replaced the gasket about 500 miles after I replaced all my spark plugs. There wasn't much carbon build-up on the throttle body and the air intake housing and tube looked good as well. I need to get an oil catch can though.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #7
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
If the problem occurred AFTER replacing the plugs, I would probably bet on the #1 plug either is cracked or the boot isnt on fully.

But like mentioned earlier, change the #1 coil with another coil and see if the misfire moved to the other cylinder. If it did, replace the coil.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:35 PM   #8
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Swampcritter is correct. A manual intake valve cleaning will correct this and you won't believe its the same car. A word of caution: NEVER do a solvent based engine running cleaning!!! Damage will occur.

We make systems designed just for the LLT and LFX GDI engines that can prevent up to 85% of the coking while keeping your engine oil cleaner longer.

Tech@EliteengineeringUSA.com
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #9
Tony Camaro

I swapped one of the other ignition coils for cylinder 1's and took it out for a drive. I floored it up and down the highway and felt some hesitation, but not as much as before and I didn't get any DTCs.

I haven't really messed around with the engine other than the spark plugs and ignition coils. How would I go about cleaning the intake valves? I know I have to remove the air intake manifold. What else would I need to do?
Old 01-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #10
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Camaro View Post
I swapped one of the other ignition coils for cylinder 1's and took it out for a drive. I floored it up and down the highway and felt some hesitation, but not as much as before and I didn't get any DTCs.

I haven't really messed around with the engine other than the spark plugs and ignition coils. How would I go about cleaning the intake valves? I know I have to remove the air intake manifold. What else would I need to do?

Sea foam works . How about checking your throttle
Body to see if it’s dirty if the back side . Tb are known to gunk up in the back of the blade and can hold the throttle plate more open than it should ..
be carful to not open the blade tho as then you might have to go through and idle relearn .
Risingson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:42 PM   #11
SSammy

Drives: 2015 2SS A6 Commemorative Edition
Intermittent misfires can be difficult to figure out. I agree with what others have suggested, I would run some Seafoam through the intake and put some in your fuel tank. Also, as suggested, I would leave the swapped coil and keep driving it to see if the misfire comes back as cylinder 1 or if it comes back as the other cylinder you swapped with. If still cylinder 1, I’d swap plugs. If still cylinder 1, I’d swap injectors. If none of the above changes the outcome, I’d run a compression test on all cylinders. If you don’t have a kit, harbor freight has them pretty cheap. If cylinder 1 compression is abnormal, squirt some oil in the piston and perform the test again, this will tell you if the problem is in the bottom end or top end. If the compression is still as bad as it was, it’s the valve, if it gets better with the oil, it’s the rings. Not sure what tools you have available, but a leak down test would be good too.
SSammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:01 PM   #12
Tony Camaro

It's gonna be a while before I can get to this stuff; too cold and I don't have a warm place to work on it. :/

I cleaned the throttle body less than 4k miles ago and it was hardly dirty then. I don't think the previous owners took great care of it. It had some things wrong with it cosmetically, but at least it drives good.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:12 AM   #13
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
What engine oil are you using? When was the last time you used a good fuel injector cleaner?
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote