Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-06-2019, 08:08 AM   #1
jsd

Drives: 2012 ZL 1 #370
Air con on hot days in city traffic

hi guys

the last few weeks it was realy hot weather here in switzerland. i was driving around last weekend at almost 100 F. my ac starts to have problems keep the car cold at city driving. outside of the city at speed between 35-80 mph the ac function without any problems.
last year the ac was tested and refiled.
some od you guys ever observed the same?
my car is a 2012 zl1, which i own since begin.
never expereniced something like this.
may the ac compressor ineeds to replace.
thanks in advance

brgds
jacek
jsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
I would start with the basics: cooling fan and radiator. Make sure both are operating correctly. Have you flushed your radiator (and sc) yet? Dexcool requires flush and replacement every 5 years or the silicone can cause issues.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
fluxzl1

Drives: 2015 ZL1
the ZL1 hold 1.3 lbs of freon, a system that small cant keep up in hot weather/city driving without alot of air moving through the condenser....
fluxzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:22 AM   #4
jsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
I would start with the basics: cooling fan and radiator. Make sure both are operating correctly. Have you flushed your radiator (and sc) yet? Dexcool requires flush and replacement every 5 years or the silicone can cause issues.
yes, it was replaced and flushed last year.
i replaced last year the entire sc and had the big service also with replacement of all fluids
Old 07-07-2019, 04:23 AM   #5
jsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxzl1 View Post
the ZL1 hold 1.3 lbs of freon, a system that small cant keep up in hot weather/city driving without alot of air moving through the condenser....
ok, thank you for your reply. is it possible to upgrade that system?
Old 07-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I think a good diagnosis would be the best place to start. The AC system has pressure sensors and if there is too much freon or not enough it will not turn on and off and cool properly in all conditions.
The professionals drain ALL freon and vacuum it then refill precisely with the amount and likely change the dryer as preventative maintenance.
Amateurs like me try to use only a low pressure gauge but that can result in problems like you describe. Last time I had to use also a high pressure gauge and fill it and drain some until the pressures were near correct in my Nissan and it has been working since then.
The AC can also be commanded to turn off if the engine starts to overheat which it might with the extra supercharger heating and low speeds and stop and go in hot weather.
If that is the case I could see going with more powerful electric fans and bigger radiator would solve it. https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430631
I'm not sure if a bigger capacity condensor for the AC would help.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote