Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 06-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
Mustang Vs. Camaro Pricing

I simply want to justify to an average person why spending a few thousand more on a Camaro really isn't as bad as you make think. Now this is sticky territory, some may not agree, or I may miss a valid point, but i think it should help. Now most of us know this technique, but rarely take time to actually use it, and put it down on paper. Now, to work you have to be fare to yourself, and the two vehicles, you may want to through in the Challenger as well. Now I am using what I think the Camaro will have, it may be different for you, but i think most of us know the basics. Circle the one you like most.

Base V8 Mustang Vs. Base Camaro
MSRP 26,240 (Ford.com) 28,999 (Guessing)
4.6L (How old is this engine?) 6.2L LS3(Corvette Motor, Updated)
300 (Camaro V6 Power) 400+ (Enough Said)
Ford Quality (opinions may very) GM Quality (Better)
1 year free of On Star..NOPE/NOTHING On Star 1 year free
MPG 15/22 (Ford.com) Auto AFM pos 17/26 more?
Out side design Out side design
Interior design Interior design
live axle pos IRA
Resell value resell value

That is just a few of the top of my head. Can you guys think of any more? I know we don't know anything in concrete on our beloved Camaro, but if we are honest with our selves we can make a pretty fair comparison. To me adding in the value of some of those things make the Camaro in my eyes a clear winner. Saving money on gas, On-Star, and the resell value, how mustangs can you find for sale cheap right now, alot! Money on maitnance. I can not wait for my Camaro.
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
I wouldn't mind if the base V8 Maro is 30K much less 29K. Lutz said there would be a premium, but what I want to know is, how MUCH of a premium? Surely not this mid-to-high thirties crap Yahoo! has been spewing out. If they do that for the base V8, then the Camaro is going to need some STTRRRROOONG additional selling points to get off the lots, no matter how good it may look.

Not to mention with all this EPA stuff, can we even assume there WILL be an entry level AND top dog V8? Maybe I've missed out on some new word about it, but I'm under the impression they're pushing more for economy.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
I wouldn't mind if the base V8 Maro is 30K much less 29K. Lutz said there would be a premium, but what I want to know is, how MUCH of a premium? Surely not this mid-to-high thirties crap Yahoo! has been spewing out. If they do that for the base V8, then the Camaro is going to need some STTRRRROOONG additional selling points to get off the lots, no matter how good it may look.

Not to mention with all this EPA stuff, can we even assume there WILL be an entry level AND top dog V8? Maybe I've missed out on some new word about it, but I'm under the impression they're pushing more for economy.
Having a "top dog" will do virtually nothing to hurt GM's Cafe rating. If they sell 8 thousand of them a year, I'll be surprised. That's 8 thousand out of nearly 2 million vehicles sold in the US.........(is it 2 million? I suddenly want to say 5)
Old 06-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 View Post
I simply want to justify to an average person why spending a few thousand more on a Camaro really isn't as bad as you make think. Now this is sticky territory, some may not agree, or I may miss a valid point, but i think it should help. Now most of us know this technique, but rarely take time to actually use it, and put it down on paper. Now, to work you have to be fare to yourself, and the two vehicles, you may want to through in the Challenger as well. Now I am using what I think the Camaro will have, it may be different for you, but i think most of us know the basics. Circle the one you like most.

Base V8 Mustang Vs. Base Camaro
MSRP 26,240 (Ford.com) 28,999 (Guessing) as good of a guess as any
4.6L (How old is this engine?) 6.2L LS3(Corvette Motor, Updated) Stang is supposed to get a new 5.0L soon. And what about the 6.0L L76 (likely uptuned)?
300 (Camaro V6 Power) 400+ (Enough Said) probably, but we could get 'as low as' 361 hp -thats what the G8 GT gets
Ford Quality (opinions may very) GM Quality (Better)Mustang routinely gets awards for quality. Camaro should be pretty good considering other new cars they have out.
1 year free of On Star..NOPE/NOTHING On Star 1 year free
MPG 15/22 (Ford.com) Auto AFM pos 17/26 more?probably, it will be within 1mpg of that.
Out side design Out side design
Interior design Interior design
live axle pos IRS? Yes it will have it.
Resell value resell value

That is just a few of the top of my head. Can you guys think of any more? I know we don't know anything in concrete on our beloved Camaro, but if we are honest with our selves we can make a pretty fair comparison. To me adding in the value of some of those things make the Camaro in my eyes a clear winner. Saving money on gas, On-Star, and the resell value, how mustangs can you find for sale cheap right now, alot! Money on maitnance. I can not wait for my Camaro.
responce in bold. The Camaro will be superior in almost every way, just voicing a little bit of caution up there. We can't guess at resale or maintenance costs though. and not everyone likes onstar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Having a "top dog" will do virtually nothing to hurt GM's Cafe rating. If they sell 8 thousand of them a year, I'll be surprised. That's 8 thousand out of nearly 2 million vehicles sold in the US.........(is it 2 million? I suddenly want to say 5)
You are right and wrong. GM sold nearly 4 million vehicles in the US last year, about half of them were trucks, which have a different CAFE rating.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post

Amen brother..there has been speculation that an RS would be a base V8 at approx. 29k, but not have 400 horses...with that same speculation the SS being 400 horses and being high 30s with the top dog being mid to high 40s. If this is the case, I will be quite upset...I can't touch the 40s so thats fine, but I was hoping I could walk away with a decent 400 hp V8 at approximately 34-35k. But with each passing day, I am becoming more concerned that this wont happen....
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Amen brother..there has been speculation that an RS would be a base V8 at approx. 29k, but not have 400 horses...with that same speculation the SS being 400 horses and being high 30s with the top dog being mid to high 40s. If this is the case, I will be quite upset...I can't touch the 40s so thats fine, but I was hoping I could walk away with a decent 400 hp V8 at approximately 34-35k. But with each passing day, I am becoming more concerned that this wont happen....
You're gettin yourself worked up for nothing. There's only gonna be two V8s as far as anyone knows. The "sensible" and the "demented" one. No one knows what they'll use for sure, but you can be quite sure you'll be able to nab ~400 horses for under 30k. You don't have to look any further than the Mustang and Challenger to realize that's true. (not the hp part...the price)
Relax...and enjoy the convertible pics!
Old 06-14-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
You're gettin yourself worked up for nothing. There's only gonna be two V8s as far as anyone knows. The "sensible" and the "demented" one. No one knows what they'll use for sure, but you can be quite sure you'll be able to nab ~400 horses for under 30k. You don't have to look any further than the Mustang and Challenger to realize that's true. (not the hp part...the price)
You realize that you just essentially said that 400 hp is sensible . . . we're not spoiled are we?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
The general idea is that if I want a loaded V8 pushing 400 and I tell myself it will be mid to high 30s....then it will be an extra Christmas present this fall/winter when I find that it will be priced lower...
Old 06-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
The general idea is that if I want a loaded V8 pushing 400 and I tell myself it will be mid to high 30s....then it will be an extra Christmas present this fall/winter when I find that it will be priced lower...
Oh...you gotta say loaded, then!! hehe Yeah...then in that case it will probably be mid 30s.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
You realize that you just essentially said that 400 hp is sensible . . . we're not spoiled are we?
400hp...how is that sensible? it should be 500!!!!!
Quote:
Quote:
Oh...you gotta say loaded, then!! hehe Yeah...then in that case it will probably be mid 30s.
dragon, you posted this vid a lil while back of Lutz saying that the v-6 would be around 20k and the v-8 around 30k ....

found it.

Quote:
http://videos.camaroz28.com/video/BB...02D9AD5E06.htm

Here's the Deal!! I'm Freaking Out right now!! I posted before I watched the whole video...stupid, but about 7:45 minutes into the video, Bob lutz Himself states that the Base V6 should be a little above 20,000, and the top of the line V8 at below, or just above $30,000!!!!! HAHA!! THIS MEANS I CAN GET A SS!!! YES!!
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:37 PM   #11
brantley847
v It bites.

I just want a sunroof and a great soundsystem...if that is classified as "loaded" then fine, otherwise I am set
Old 06-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #12
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Quote:

here it is, he says it about 2 minutes in...along with a few other interesting points. BOB LUTZ SAYS THAT THE WHEELS IN PRODUCTION "FOR SAKE OF REALITY WOULD PROBABLY SHRINK TO 18 or 20's"
I should also note how down to earth Bob Lutz is...he says, kind of goofily, "...It's not a literal interpretion of the classic Camaro grille, or we would have these 'great big round headlights'..." I chuckled a little.
http://videos.camaroz28.com/video/BB...02D9AD5E06.htm

Here's the Deal!! I'm Freaking Out right now!! I posted before I watched the whole video...stupid, but about 7:45 minutes into the video, Bob lutz Himself states that the Base V6 should be a little above 20,000, and the top of the line V8 at below, or just above $30,000!!!!! HAHA!! THIS MEANS I CAN GET A SS!!! YES!!

Okay, sorry. I'm done freaking out...on http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?
FROM DRAGONEYE
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #13
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
oh wait our v6 camaros will be racing mustang gts while our v8 are just backup
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #14
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
shank, you are a day late and a dollar short
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote