Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #295
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Before, I only got one way to see this . . . and I was obviously connected

Quote:

This page can't be displayed
  • Make sure the web address http://www.***************** is correct.
  • Look for the page with your search engine.
  • Refresh the page in a few minutes.

Fix connection problems.
Now I have two ways to get the same message, and refreshing them does not help. Can you PM me the link address?

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #296
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
C5 is either having site issues lately or has some new kind of filter active that's starring-out words for some reason. Put a space or - to break up the starred-out word and tell us which character to eliminate to get the proper address.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #297
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
http://www.camaro scotty.com/2013/03/2014-camaro-and-camaro-z28-z28-z-28-information-specs/

you'll have to remove the space between camaroscotty and copy/paste into url bar but i think this is the link sven was trying to share

It's possible tran doesn't want that site being shared so i'll leave it up to the mods on whether to leave it or take it down...
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #298
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post
http://www.camaro scotty.com/2013/03/2014-camaro-and-camaro-z28-z28-z-28-information-specs/

you'll have to remove the space between camaroscotty and copy/paste into url bar but i think this is the link sven was trying to share

It's possible tran doesn't want that site being shared so i'll leave it up to the mods on whether to leave it or take it down...
Thanks,
I PM'd it to Norm. That looks correct. I am waiting for a reply from Scotty to see where he got it, it isn't referenced on his site. It probably makes sense though.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #299
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Thanks,
I PM'd it to Norm. That looks correct. I am waiting for a reply from Scotty to see where he got it, it isn't referenced on his site. It probably makes sense though.
Finally managed to get there (C5 wouldn't even PM the fully spelled out address).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
One would hope the Z/28 could withstand a few hard launches.
If it's a fatigue issue rather than an outright overstress situation it'll likely withstand a few. But that's still a matter of 'when' rather than 'if'.

Side note - I hope that anybody considering running a Z/28 at SCCA's "Pro-Solo" (a real drag race start down a short straight into a conventional autocross) or at the Optima Challenge "Speed-Stop-Squared" event (similar, with a shorter autocross segment plus a stop box at the end) finds a starting line technique that's as quick as possible while being as gentle on the mechanicals as possible. But at least the starting lines won't be prepped for grip other than by however much rubber gets laid down over the course of an event.

Quote:
The Z/28 front sway bar might be thicker than both the ZL1 and the beefier 1LE bar. This is good for lots of spinning at the lights, not hooking. So I would say the drive train is pretty safe. The tires are grippy I am sure, but not as tied down as drag radials.
Front and rear bar stiffnesses do not much matter on an IRS car. There isn't much chassis roll from engine torque reaction going on that isn't taken directly back to the rear differential, so there really isn't very much left for the bars to either do or get in the way of. It is a lot different than on a stick axle car like mine where a no-front-bar/huge-rear-bar configuration can be a worthwhile setup for the strip.

Quote:
And I apologize for generalizing about road track focused people. I have only met a few. From what several of you have posted I stand corrected about ALL track focused enthusiasts looking down on drag racing. However just like Camaro V8 owners slamming V6 owners the impression might be common, just not universal. Kudos to those not judging! Respect. And here I am judging.
No offense taken.

It's probably too easy for enthusiasts of either road course or drag racing to misunderstand the other activity, at least on the surface. From the stands, drag racing looks and sounds harsh and abusive, while a quick lap on a road course or even at autocross commonly looks "too gentle" to qualify as a serious effort, let alone be any good. Many of the mods that work well for one activity are exactly the wrong things to do for the other, and some of the few in-detail mods that actually beneficial for both sports are rarely recognized as such (let alone with any understanding of why they might be).

Norm
Old 07-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #300
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
One would hope the Z/28 could withstand a few hard launches.
Found this in a thread discussing the ZL1 Differential & axles, figured it was worth quoting here . . .

Quote:
And stronger, 9.9 inch gear, cast iron housing, GM finally did there homework on this unit!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=16

Given that weight was the enemy for the Z/28 to the extent that it has a different and lighter wiring harness, you shouldn't expect it to get a large iron case diff which is more rigid than what it would have been in aluminum. Even momentarily, excessive case distortion (such as under harsh dragstrip launch conditions) isn't good for long-term gear durability. Don't know anything about the Z/28's R&P size, though I'll bet it's less than 9.9".

Norm
Old 07-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #301
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
I suspect you'll see the "fortified SS" version aka 1LE carrier/axles...

- Higher-capacity rear-axle half shafts to cope with increased levels of traction

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212140

UPGRADED HALF SHAFTS
The half shafts of 1LE have been "beefed up" to handle the higher grip and handling of the 1LE rear tires.

There is, however, an aluminum version of the 9.9 "on the shelf"...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #302
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I hope that anybody considering running a Z/28 at SCCA's "Pro-Solo" (a real drag race start down a short straight into a conventional autocross) or at the Optima Challenge "Speed-Stop-Squared" event (similar, with a shorter autocross segment plus a stop box at the end) finds a starting line technique that's as quick as possible while being as gentle on the mechanicals as possible.
I highly doubt this car needs babying especially in an autox. They have been "beating the P_ss out of Steve" for a long time now.

I say hammer it!!!
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #303
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
I highly doubt this car needs babying especially in an autox. They have been "beating the P_ss out of Steve" for a long time now.

I say hammer it!!!
They are talking about hard launches such as the drag strip, the rear wasn't built to handle it like the ZL1.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #304
backtotintops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
They are talking about hard launches such as the drag strip, the rear wasn't built to handle it like the ZL1.
???...this car is not even out yet and people are worried???

This is a street car and will easily handle autox launches and saturday night street fun etc...don't sweat it. I have never used launch control...but this car has it and doesn't that get you 95% the best launch anyway for a non pro?

If you put drag radials on it, blower and mod it for the strip then you are on your own.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #305
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
If you put drag radials on it, blower and mod it for the strip then you are on your own.
The R-compound tires used at autocross are more or less comparable to drag radials, but with much better cornering characteristics due to differences in the carcass structure. The Z/28's Trofeos fall into the "R-compound" category.

Pro-Solo specifically involves a full-blown drag strip launch, complete with a tree and redlighting potential. It doesn't have the track preparation of a strip, but there is no guarantee that that's enough to do anything more than extend the number of cycles to failure. Actually, if the reduced grip of a parking lot is enough to make wheel hop a big enough factor, the diff might die even sooner.

Norm
Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #306
backtotintops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
but there is no guarantee that that's enough to do anything more than extend the number of cycles to failure. Actually, if the reduced grip of a parking lot is enough to make wheel hop a big enough factor, the diff might die even sooner.
why are you concerned about the diff failing? It has something like a quaife right and has a dedicated cooler right...I know the half shafts are thicker and hence better for drags on a zl1 but the weight is worse for a road course car. Porsche gt3s can burn out all day long...nobody is worried about the diff...i say relax...let the car come out...have some fun if you are lucky enough to get one.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #307
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
why are you concerned about the diff failing? It has something like a quaife right and has a dedicated cooler right...I know the half shafts are thicker and hence better for drags on a zl1 but the weight is worse for a road course car. Porsche gt3s can burn out all day long...nobody is worried about the diff...i say relax...let the car come out...have some fun if you are lucky enough to get one.
It also came right from GM that the diff is not recommended for drag strip use
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #308
backtotintops

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
It also came right from GM that the diff is not recommended for drag strip use
Ok...I am not doubting you but I would like to read the wording on that. Please provide the GM link.

thanks