Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #57
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
You are still confusing pressure and density. Pressure is measured in PSI, density is not. Density is mass per unit volume. An increase of .0017psi is a pressure change, not a density change.
It's interesting how you choose to break down the discrepancies in my comments but ignore the question.

I also take it you're smart enough to know that air density can be weighed in PSI at a given temperature, pressure, and volume....Or would you rather use slugs and convert... I know what you're thinking, please don't do it...I'm really getting bored with this witty banter B.S. that only returns to one possible result, yes, you can have ram-air on a car...Even if it appears to be somewhat insignificant...At low speed.

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 10-20-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #58
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
NERD ALERT!!!!
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #59
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifttal View Post
NERD ALERT!!!!
Bet you have a big pile of sticks-n-stones too don't-cha...Play nice or go home please.

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 10-20-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #60
swifttal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Bet you have a big pile of sticks-n-stones too don't-cha...Play nice or go home please.
Who said I was talking to you? Not everything revolves around you, you know.

Also that was a test... if you are indeed a nerd, you would be proud of it and how smart you are, and would in turn, build credibility... by being offended and separating yourself from the nerds, only builds evidence that you aren't as smart, and shouldn't be listened to.

Bottom line: What matters here is density - not pressure... true the computers measure pressure and temperature... but only to find out what the density air the incoming airflow is. That way it can match a similar density of fuel... not a similar pressure of fuel, or a similar temperature of fuel...

Now stop trying to hijack this thread trying to prove how smart you are on a subject that doesn't matter. We aren't trying to figure out new designs of airflow sensors, we're trying to figure out how to make a functional mail slot (which I may just make into a vent instead of an intake - there's probably more function in that)
Old 10-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #61
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
All the techno-babble is relevent here. The question is about the design of a ram-air intake. Formulas and text from an aeronautical engineering textbook are useful, it saved me from digging out my 2nd year fluids book (I don't think I sold it. . . )

ps, asking amateurs to design a new sensor is a waste. The pros can do it so cheaply and effectively.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #62
swifttal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
All the techno-babble is relevent here. The question is about the design of a ram-air intake. Formulas and text from an aeronautical engineering textbook are useful, it saved me from digging out my 2nd year fluids book (I don't think I sold it. . . )

ps, asking amateurs to design a new sensor is a waste. The pros can do it so cheaply and effectively.
Arguing about pressure vs density isn't relevant... Digging up that book will prove far more valuable than listening to useless forum arguments... that's the last bit I've got to contribute to this thread... you guys argue amongst yourselves... I'll give you a topic... Rhode Island is neither a road, nor an Island
Old 10-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #63
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
whoa.... everyone settle down.

ram air is a misnomer.

while it does exist and can be applied to numerous setups, true ram air by means of forcing air into the intake on an automobile requires a high amount of speed to truly "force" the air into the intake.

what real gains that are seen with a ram air setup on a car is the fact that the intake tract is pretty much a straightline shot to the intake manifold, which results in less turbulence and less restriction.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #64
mxracer_72

Drives: 71 Z/28, 02 CR 250R, 06 Yamaha R6
ALL SYSTEMS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
For exactly the reason I stated. A car cannot go fast enough to introduce any pressure differential just by moving through the air. Gas is considered incompressible when the speed is below .3 mach which is about 230 mph depending on altitude. In other words, unless you can go faster then that, ram air doesn't exist.
Dan,

Please let someone else drive your car on the interstate at ~70mph. Then, you roll down your window, open your mouth, and breathe. Try to tell me there's no such thing.

As far as I can tell, the idea would definitely work... the concept seems similar to the intakes I've seen on some Vettes (and on my streetbike). In another example, the factory-rated horsepower on my 2006 Yamaha R6 is 125hp without the ram air effect, but 131hp with. Doesn't look like much, I know, but its actually a 4.5% increase.

Any positive pressure will help the car make power (I can dig up my old MathCAD files and textbook examples from Aerothermodynamics, if I must). However, this rules out letting the mail slot supplement the factory air box. The pressurized air will go for the easiest route, whether that be into the intake or out the other side of the airbox. For the ram air to work, the airbox needs to be sealed.

Someone else mentioned the radiator heating up the air that would go over it. Although I'm sure the air may ever-so-slightly heat up, my intuition tells me the ram air effect would outweigh the slight loss from heating. Also keep in mind that the mail slot would pull in air MUCH cooler than underneath the hood.

If someone designed an intake that used the mail slot, assuming the slot size was adequate, it would most definitely add horsepower. The effects of cool air, positive pressure, and a straight-to-the-intake design would all culminate in power gains not seen by current stock or aftermarket intakes.
mxracer_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #65
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer_72 View Post
Dan,

Please let someone else drive your car on the interstate at ~70mph. Then, you roll down your window, open your mouth, and breathe. Try to tell me there's no such thing.

As far as I can tell, the idea would definitely work... the concept seems similar to the intakes I've seen on some Vettes (and on my streetbike). In another example, the factory-rated horsepower on my 2006 Yamaha R6 is 125hp without the ram air effect, but 131hp with. Doesn't look like much, I know, but its actually a 4.5% increase.

Any positive pressure will help the car make power (I can dig up my old MathCAD files and textbook examples from Aerothermodynamics, if I must). However, this rules out letting the mail slot supplement the factory air box. The pressurized air will go for the easiest route, whether that be into the intake or out the other side of the airbox. For the ram air to work, the airbox needs to be sealed.

Someone else mentioned the radiator heating up the air that would go over it. Although I'm sure the air may ever-so-slightly heat up, my intuition tells me the ram air effect would outweigh the slight loss from heating. Also keep in mind that the mail slot would pull in air MUCH cooler than underneath the hood.

If someone designed an intake that used the mail slot, assuming the slot size was adequate, it would most definitely add horsepower. The effects of cool air, positive pressure, and a straight-to-the-intake design would all culminate in power gains not seen by current stock or aftermarket intakes.
Thanks for using the defibrilator on this thread and you still couldn't bring any life into it.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #66
Toyaholic
It's a sickness!

Drives: '69 442 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer_72 View Post
Dan,

Now that's a breath of fresh air.... pun intended!

It may not be true forced induction via ram air, but cool air and the little bit of force (or less resistance) has worked for me. I can feel it on the "seat of the pants" meter!

Toyaholic is offline   Reply With Quote