Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #15
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
As It says In their website:

Are they legal?
As they say, you should check with your state / country if you are really concerned about it. Given the tangled web of laws in the US we state they are designed for off road use.We have never had a problem with running our HID Blue headlight covers as they shine bright white, and of course our clear covers are generally unnoticeable.

So, How much off road driving do you plan to do with your Camaro?
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #16
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Headlight armor may not be DOT approved but it is legal. Most states law requires that your headlights can be seen from 1,000. Which Headlight Armor's are.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #17
HeadlightArmor

Drives: Company Car
Kevin, you don't like them, I get it and actually fine with that.

Yes you need to check your states laws where your vehicle is registered if legality is an issue. In states with a vehicle inspection, those criteria are a good starting point. If you are not worried about it :shrug: they are removable.

As for the headlights in the FAQ question on the site, no I have never had an issue with the HID Blue headlight protection kits here in TX, even a few locals here with GT Yellow (911's) don't have issue, and of course clear - can't imagine anybody even noticing they are there. Your RS's headlights are over $600 each last I checked. I would protect them with the clear kit. If you don't mind them being sand blasted into looking like sea glass, it is your dime as they say.

As for the taillights - the topic of the thread, again if legality is an issue check your states law. The photos on the site show a 10 year old car with stock non-LED taillights and make comparisons between the three levels of kits we offer with both the running lights and brake lights. Even with the darkest material we have. The running lights we visible at 1000 feet.

Here in TX the law reads clearly visible at 1000ft and we have yet to have an issue with them. At night if somebody saw your taillights in a group of ten other different vehicles that person would be hard pressed to guess which vehicle had our smoked tails. In many ways laws are written pretty vague and sometimes contradictory to other laws, giving final approval to the individual vehicle inspector doing the annual inspection.

To refrain, For legality, you would need to check with your local jurisdiction. Vehicle inspection criteria are usually a good starting point. We make no guarantees to any of our products' street legality, not even for the clear headlight protection kits.
HeadlightArmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #18
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
just a note, i didnt have to trim anything from chauffe...i did pop out my trim though, i was painting them anyway.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #19
kevin1106

It's not that I don't like them, I actually bought a set from you last year for my 2010 accord coupe. After 4 months, I got pulled over, didn't get a fine, but a repair order. I was told next time I would get a fine if I didn't remove the film. So to me, I just wasted my money. Live and learn world, just thought I'd share my experience. If it was legal in Maryland, I'd be first in line to buy a set from you. I actually like the look.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #20
The Stig

Im in NoVa and work in Bethesda. 2 years 0 problems.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #21
cnrad

Drives: a wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
i have the 30% charcoal from bigW and its black as hell, BUT i have LED replacemnt tail lights so they are visible. i dought very much the charcoal will emit much light with stock lamps.
Nice Well from the distance tests for Headlight Armor I can see they still allow light to emit through pretty well so that is a +1 for them. If bigworm's don't let light emit through very well, then its Headlight Armor for me. Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Install is SUPER easy, basically if you can put a sticker on a piece of paper you can do these.
That's great news , I can definitely put a sticker on a piece of paper, so I will probably be able to do this easily lol .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlightArmor View Post
Yes the kits are cut for the taillight, they are designed to align with or just under the bezel. The reverse lights (free with the taillight kit) fully tucks behind the bumper cover. As far as taillights go they are about the easiest application we have. If you have big hands the fact that the lights are recessed is likely the biggest challenge.

20% Dark Stealth Smoke on non RS Taillights

We have night testing of the taillight kits on the site here for reference.

1000 feet / 305 meters : Running Lights - Left 20% Dark Stealth Smoke - Right Stock -Stock non-LED taillights
Cool, so that's a plus . I don't want to buy anything that will require trimming or what not, I feel they should already be sized correctly lol. And that's awesome that you give the reverse light tint free with the kit . My hand's aren't too big, so hopefully the recess shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for all the info, I'll probably be buying from you guys sometime soon . One last question, do you think they will install fine with all the cold weather or should I wait until it starts warming up again? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
My Next mod.
Nice

And @kevin
Thanks for the info on all that and for warning about the risks when getting in an accident. But I'm probably still gettin the tint (It just looks amazing)
cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #22
kevin1106

No problem, it's your car, your money. Happy Modding!!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:58 PM   #23
cnrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1106 View Post
No problem, it's your car, your money. Happy Modding!!
Thanks
Old 11-09-2011, 01:34 AM   #24
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I bought the 30% charcoal light covers from Big Worm. The vinyl is a nice, thicker vinyl, not flimsy like window tint. I also ordered the side markers and reverse lights. Anyway, I just wanted to mention that the tail light covers from Big Worm were not sized correctly. I worked on them for a good two hours trying to make them fit right. They fit fine across the top, but then the sides wouldn't match up. After heating with a blowdryer in an attempt to stretch the vinyl a bit (suggestion from Big Worm), I got them on as best as they would fit, which wasn't good. There was about an 1/8" to 1/4" gap between the bottom of the vinyl to the top of the bottom bezel and it looked awful. Long story short, a second email was sent to David at Big Worm telling him the heat and stretching did no good. He told me that there shouldn't be any reason for them not to fit. Sooo, I sent him pictures and upon seeing them himself, he agreed they did not fit, that all 5th Gens had the same size tail lights, and asked me to send them back and he would replace them with a larger size, but I'd have to take the bezels off, apply the tint, and put the bezels back on. I didn't really want to have to do that, but I agreed to the exchange. When I first asked why they wouldn't fit my car, he told me they found that some of the vinyl was shrinking for some reason and it was a manufacturing defect of some sort and asked for me to send the originals back so they could examine them to see why they didn't fit. In another email, he told me that they found that a small percentage of the 5th Generation tail lights were slightly larger than the norm, and mine happened to be one that was slightly larger. I don't know which of the two answers he gave me I believe, but he did send the larger replacements which I have yet to install. I'm a little disappointed that it turned into so much work for such a simple install. I'm hoping I can get the bezels off in one piece! Oh, and when I did have the tint on, my tail lights were highly visible at night and I have stock lights. Hope this info helps.
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:39 AM   #25
cnrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcandy View Post
I bought the 30% charcoal light covers from Big Worm. The vinyl is a nice, thicker vinyl, not flimsy like window tint. I also ordered the side markers and reverse lights. Anyway, I just wanted to mention that the tail light covers from Big Worm were not sized correctly. I worked on them for a good two hours trying to make them fit right. They fit fine across the top, but then the sides wouldn't match up. After heating with a blowdryer in an attempt to stretch the vinyl a bit (suggestion from Big Worm), I got them on as best as they would fit, which wasn't good. There was about an 1/8" to 1/4" gap between the bottom of the vinyl to the top of the bottom bezel and it looked awful. Long story short, a second email was sent to David at Big Worm telling him the heat and stretching did no good. He told me that there shouldn't be any reason for them not to fit. Sooo, I sent him pictures and upon seeing them himself, he agreed they did not fit, that all 5th Gens had the same size tail lights, and asked me to send them back and he would replace them with a larger size, but I'd have to take the bezels off, apply the tint, and put the bezels back on. I didn't really want to have to do that, but I agreed to the exchange. When I first asked why they wouldn't fit my car, he told me they found that some of the vinyl was shrinking for some reason and it was a manufacturing defect of some sort and asked for me to send the originals back so they could examine them to see why they didn't fit. In another email, he told me that they found that a small percentage of the 5th Generation tail lights were slightly larger than the norm, and mine happened to be one that was slightly larger. I don't know which of the two answers he gave me I believe, but he did send the larger replacements which I have yet to install. I'm a little disappointed that it turned into so much work for such a simple install. I'm hoping I can get the bezels off in one piece! Oh, and when I did have the tint on, my tail lights were highly visible at night and I have stock lights. Hope this info helps.
Wow thanks for the info. This really makes me not want to get bigworm, it sounds like they have good customer service but I don't want to risk running into any problems. It's weird that they didn't fit, and I can't see how some of the taillights were bigger than others, just doesn't really make sense.. Thanks again .
Old 11-09-2011, 01:48 AM   #26
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
No problem. If I would have known that beforehand, I wouldn't have gotten them either. They are made out of nice quality vinyl tho. Hopefully, someday, I'll get to enjoy them! Good luck.
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #27
Mark1SS

Drives: 2012 1SS Delivered!
Do you install with the soapy water solution?
Mark1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #28
The Stig

Yes, soap + water

Tags
tail light, tail light tint, taillight, taillight tint, tint