Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-12-2016, 12:24 AM   #267
shaggy2002

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS w RS 1LE
So they visually inspected them on a lift and said everything looks great and don't recommend any replacement. He says when they fail there are signs of leaks or damage or tires wearing which he saw none of. I said but what if it is a manufacturer defect, he said he could investigate further but would cost me for them to do it. I declined because I am a little strapped for cash at this point. I did tell him I think this is related to a tsb and I think it is an internal failure in which he told me I would have to pay for that type of diagnosis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaggy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:38 AM   #268
20152SS1Le

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE
Typical answer, that's why I replaced myself

Elite engineering catch can
Texas Speed 1 7/8 long tube headers and Cats
GPI Rod mod and ported intake
Ported throttle body
JRE tune
20152SS1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #269
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkscott View Post
I installed 1le Shocks on my 2010 SS and have this very same problem, and for me it can be 10 MPH and if it is a drop off like you said it will crash......
I wonder if you would have tested the struts before installation, if the defect would have been noticed?

Or is this a degradation that happens prematurely afterwards, over the course of a few x amount of miles/km's?

I hope it's the former and not the latter, for the obvious reason.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #270
2015_1LE_soon

Drives: 2015_1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy G View Post
Just got the car back from dealer, since they were at the struts, had them balanced tires and did the alignment as JP suggested. Now the car handles great, and the annoying Bangs are gone. The car does sitting a bit higher than before if I remember correctly. Hopefully it will settle a bit after time. Thanks for everyone that helped out through this tread, finally got this annoying problem solved!

Attachment 819584
Freddie - I am so happy to hear.... WELCOME TO THE CLUB lol!!!
2015_1LE_soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #271
2015_1LE_soon

Drives: 2015_1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
I wonder if you would have tested the struts before installation, if the defect would have been noticed?

Or is this a degradation that happens prematurely afterwards, over the course of a few x amount of miles/km's?

I hope it's the former and not the latter, for the obvious reason.
I had this issue from my DRIVE HOME with 13KM on the dash. It's 100% A DEFECT, and not an issue that develops over time. I can say this with certainty, because after I changed the strut, there has been no issue for over 10,000KM... It's totally a defect, and thankfully, a forum like this exists.
2015_1LE_soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #272
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Bought 1le shocks for my 2010, and they did it from day one also. A friend also experienced the same issue. Because I bought mine from a vendor, I am pretty much SOL from a warranty standpoint. I will probably just buy a front strut and replace it myself and see if it corrects the problem.......

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #273
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015_1LE_soon View Post
I had this issue from my DRIVE HOME with 13KM on the dash. It's 100% A DEFECT, and not an issue that develops over time. I can say this with certainty, because after I changed the strut, there has been no issue for over 10,000KM... It's totally a defect, and thankfully, a forum like this exists.
I do hope that you are right, in assuming that your case scenario, applies 100% to all of the other cases. Your case is quite clear cut, which is goooood.

What do I mean by this?

It still bothers me, that a few, including myself, only observe this "bang over bump" noise phenomenon, over certain bumps, and more often than not, will never experience it at all.

In my case, there is but one bump, that just 1 bump within a 50mile radius of here, where this will occur. It's not even that huge this bump. It's located on a bridge, I THINK it's called an expansion joint, but I'm no expert.

Prime conditions are a warm or hot day, and any speed over 95km/h. This will trigger the embarrassing-enough bang, where any passenger will slightly raise their eyebrow, and look at me.

No other bump will trigger this. Not even our infamous Montreal potholes, which I find very strange..The 1LE with it's 20inch mags, is one of the better riding sports cars all considered...

For this reason I ask, is my case(and others as well who share this) a different one altogether? I mean, is it normal? The dealer seems think so. It's the nature of the beast they said, the "sport" suspension that is.

Or do some of us belong in some sort of grey, the "almost broken but not quite there yet" zone"???

I'm perplexed on this one.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #274
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
So for the record, mine came back. Had my front shocks replaced last July around this time by my local dealer. Problem was GONE, 100% sure of this, for the remainder of the year. About a week ago, it started back up for me.

Now even for the 2 years prior to me getting them replaced, I never had issues in cooler weather. I'm not sure what that's about, but the issue only reared its ugly head when ambient temps were above 70 or so with the sound diminishing as temps would get lower (in other words, 90 degrees out and the crashes were brutal, whereas 75 degrees out and the crashes would be much less so).

Checked the shock bodies ... no fluid or obvious signs of leak/damage. Now I'm wondering if something is coming loose (like where the shocks mount to the body), giving them vertical play that we hear as these massive crashes/bumps.

Anyone have the torque specs for the various mounting points of the shocks/struts? It's possible that replacing them last year simply led to them being torqued back down to spec and "fixed" the issue temporarily.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #275
20152SS1Le

This is the exact reason why I replaced mine with aftermarket because after going through expense of replacement I didn't want to do it again.

Ported throttle body
JRE tune
Old 07-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #276
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
I think you might be on to something Billy10mm. The crash/bang always scares me because it comes out of the blue. I can be driving one time and see a hole/bump coming and stiffen up and brace myself then nothing, smooth as can be. The next time I hit something and Whaam! I've been like WTF! I have wonder is it tire pressure, strut cold or hot, tires hot or cold? But it always seemed like it was a temp change in the weather. I have had two 1le's, a 13 and now a 15 with 7K miles and they have both done this. That is why I thought about tire/strut temp. I am waiting on my B6 tubes to be delivered/installed, curious to see if I will have the same problem.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #277
RKeeton

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I experienced the same thing with certain bumps. If I didn't slow down, I would hear that big bang. I have 3 places within a mile of my house that I could drive 40 mph and it happen. Changed to aftermarket struts (Koni yellow) this past March and it doesn't happen anymore. The driver's strut had no rebound. It was easier to compress than the other side but wouldn't push out. Now after a few months sitting in the garage, it rebounds slowly but not all the way out like the passenger strut. I have to pull the rod out to the full length. They have the vin on a tag on the strut and I would like to get them replaced without the hassle of putting them back on and taking it in to convince the dealer there is a problem. There is no physical problem leaking or damage outwardly on the strut. I haven't talked to the dealership about it yet. Still have a few months of warranty.
RKeeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #278
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Thanks RKeeton ... it's a mixed bag hearing that the struts don't have rebound. Good news that we are almost certain the shocks are defective, but bad news that there's no "simple" fix.

Will have to use this as an excuse to go with the Z/28 suspension kit.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #279
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Thanks RKeeton ... it's a mixed bag hearing that the struts don't have rebound. Good news that we are almost certain the shocks are defective, but bad news that there's no "simple" fix.

Will have to use this as an excuse to go with the Z/28 suspension kit.
Peter of JPSS has stated in the past that the Bilstein shocks/struts are a nice upgrade over the stock 1LE parts.

You might shoot him a note.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:08 PM   #280
20152SS1Le

I went with the billsteins, no problems since

Ported throttle body
JRE tune