Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
Smile RX BREATHER ????

NO REASON TO HAVE IT ON MY CAR....from what ive read unless your at wide open throttle there is really no reason to have this on your car...i took mine off and went to stock oil cap with catch can....i know its only letting air in and not out but thats got to mess with fuel trims in some way ....im just not going to take a chance
Old 07-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-22 View Post
NO REASON TO HAVE IT ON MY CAR....from what ive read unless your at wide open throttle there is really no reason to have this on your car...i took mine off and went to stock oil cap with catch can....i know its only letting air in and not out but thats got to mess with fuel trims in some way ....im just not going to take a chance

This is all good, but make sure you put the clean side intake back together.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I use a Metco breather but the same principal applies. I only use it on track days. Other than that the stock oil cap goes back on.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
You've got it backwards, again. The breathers one way valve only lets crankcase gases out, not in. So that when you are making too much pressure for the pcv to handle it blows off through the breather and doesn't blow out your engines seals.

The reason they say track days only is because according to the epa, you cannot evacuate any crank case gases to the outside.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
You've got it backwards, again. The breathers one way valve only lets crankcase gases out, not in. So that when you are making too much pressure for the pcv to handle it blows off through the breather and doesn't blow out your engines seals.

The reason they say track days only is because according to the epa, you cannot evacuate any crank case gases to the outside.
The smell of oil through the vents is my reminder that I left the breather on!

With no breather on Ill push oil out the rear main seal.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
I drilled out the pvc hose barb in the valve cover and removed the check valve from the catch can. No more weeping rear seal.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
Quote:

the v-6 Camaro is designed to be a closed system

Last edited by AKA-22; 07-28-2013 at 09:24 PM.
AKA-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #8
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
1le oil separator!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:

NO, you have it backwards. The RX breather lets a small amount of air into the crankcase and the checkvalve prevents air to flow out.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Wrong.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote