Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #29
bigssc
Account Suspended

Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman53201 View Post
i believe they use a synthetic blend
yeah its def a blended oil. i worked at Firestone for a little while and syn blend is cheap crap lol its the crap they pump out of a big container and has a higher content of water than true 100% syn oil. i wouldnt use that crap on my snow blower let alone my 35-40k car lol
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #30
mailclerk

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
I'd just stick with using Mobil 1. I think Royal Purple is over rated myself. Besides that there bottle don't tell you much on the back anyways. If your car is still under warranty use nothing but what the factorytells you to use until it's over. Then use what ever you want.

Mail Clerk
mailclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #31
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigssc View Post
i worked at Firestone for a little while and syn blend is cheap crap lol its the crap they pump out of a big container and has a higher content of water than true 100% syn oil.
And here I thought oil and water don't mix.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #32
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
If it has the DEXOS approval notice on it, you're good to go. Per GM, anything else *COULD* affect your powertrain warranty.

Go nuts: http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands.html
Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #33
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
I change mine every 3000....so you're already over what I do normally. Forget about the very first one. I'd say change that oil out now.
IMO your wasting a lot of money. I'm modded and still go 5k between changes. Granted, nothing wrong with a 3k change interval, but your not gaining anything either.

Quote:
they dont use good oil nor good gas when you first get the car.
Can't speak for the gas. They only put enough in the tank to get it to it's destination. The tank is actualy filled by the dealer at delivery. The oil is filled with Mobile 1 at the factory. Is it good or not? I've never had any problems with it and it was in my SS until we changed the cam and it's in my truck that has over 100k on it. Ultimately, you have to decide. GM thinks it's good oil as it's the factory fill.

Quote:
yeah its def a blended oil. i worked at Firestone for a little while and syn blend is cheap crap lol its the crap they pump out of a big container and has a higher content of water than true 100% syn oil. i wouldnt use that crap on my snow blower let alone my 35-40k car lol
There is cheap crap out there and I agree that the bulk stuff you get at the oil change places is defiantly not the best, but to make a blanket statement that all blended oil's are cheap crap is irresponsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
And here I thought oil and water don't mix.

John B.
I didn't think they did either. Learn something new everyday.

Just use an oil that is API and DEXOS approved, change it when you want but no later than the OLM tells you to and you'll be fine. If you want a lot of good information, check out the following link.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old 07-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #34
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
IMO your wasting a lot of money. I'm modded and still go 5k between changes. Granted, nothing wrong with a 3k change interval, but your not gaining anything either.

Can't speak for the gas. They only put enough in the tank to get it to it's destination. The tank is actualy filled by the dealer at delivery. The oil is filled with Mobile 1 at the factory. Is it good or not? I've never had any problems with it and it was in my SS until we changed the cam and it's in my truck that has over 100k on it. Ultimately, you have to decide. GM thinks it's good oil as it's the factory fill.

There is cheap crap out there and I agree that the bulk stuff you get at the oil change places is defiantly not the best, but to make a blanket statement that all blended oil's are cheap crap is irresponsible.

I didn't think they did either. Learn something new everyday.

Just use an oil that is API and DEXOS approved, change it when you want but no later than the OLM tells you to and you'll be fine. If you want a lot of good information, check out the following link.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

never said oil and water mix clearly by nature they dont mix i just said u can find some in shitty cheap oil. ive seen some weird shit come out of those big oil vats. my statement now looking back at it could have been taken wrong.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #35
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
never said oil and water mix clearly by nature they dont mix i just said u can find some in shitty cheap oil. ive seen some weird shit come out of those big oil vats. my statement now looking back at it could have been taken wrong.
I know a shop in town that has two identical tanks side by side. Both painted red. One is the used oil tank and the other is the bulk oil tank. The Bulk tank has a 6x6 sticker on it to identify the contents and that's it.

Thinking about your comment makes me wonder just how much used oil and other stuff has been dumped in the bulk talk by lazy and/or inattentive employees. Glad I use only bottled oil.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #36
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
I know a shop in town that has two identical tanks side by side. Both painted red. One is the used oil tank and the other is the bulk oil tank. The Bulk tank has a 6x6 sticker on it to identify the contents and that's it.

Thinking about your comment makes me wonder just how much used oil and other stuff has been dumped in the bulk talk by lazy and/or inattentive employees. Glad I use only bottled oil.
exactly! and i only use bottled oil as well, u never no with those tanks and what kind of day the employee is having