Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
FY_Ivan
Black Mamba

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
First Oil Change

So i went to my dealer for the first oil change (it was free) and i asked about putting mobil 1 oil in it. He said it would be an additional charge of $35 for Mobil 1, but that he didn't recommend putting Mobil 1 on it just yet. He said it was proven that Mobil 1 will protect it too much on right now and the engine needs to break in a little more so the synthetic blend will be better until i hit 10k miles, then i should go to Mobil 1. Seemed convincing and saved me money so i said ok thats fine.

Any truth to this? I can easily go back and demand they change the oil to Mobil 1 if he pulled this out of thin air, but I just didn't know or heard of this before. Help please

Heritage Grille | Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harness | LEDs - DRLs, dome, trunk, license plate | ZL1 rear and RPI front splash guards | CAI Inc. Cold Air Intake
Elite Engineering Catch Can | Oracle Ghosted Sidemarkers | FR ZL1 style wheels | VMax Black Ported TB
FY_Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by FY_Ivan View Post
So i went to my dealer for the first oil change (it was free) and i asked about putting mobil 1 oil in it. He said it would be an additional charge of $35 for Mobil 1, but that he didn't recommend putting Mobil 1 on it just yet. He said it was proven that Mobil 1 will protect it too much on right now and the engine needs to break in a little more so the synthetic blend will be better until i hit 10k miles, then i should go to Mobil 1. Seemed convincing and saved me money so i said ok thats fine.

Any truth to this? I can easily go back and demand they change the oil to Mobil 1 if he pulled this out of thin air, but I just didn't know or heard of this before. Help please
True for the 1st 500 or so miles but really that's it (conventional is the best choice for this period), after that the break in is completed. No reason to change it now unless you want (won't hurt anything) but next one go with M1 if that's what you want.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 08-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
ryan's camaro
Taeng

Drives: Fast
I got my 2012 2LT changed at the dealer at 1,600 miles and they used the dexos synblend. My car has 4,500 miles now, so I'm gonna swap it out with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. The car seems to be sluggish with the synblend. iono why.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:54 AM   #4
Lemmy

Drives: 2010 GT500
f you need to run 5W-30, Pennzoil Platinum seems to have some of the best independent reviews especially for the cost. Unfortunately, I have to run 5W-50 at least until the warranty is out.
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote