Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: BTR Stage 2 NA or BTR Stage 3 NA cam?
BTR Stage 2 NA 7 26.92%
BTR Stage 3 NA 19 73.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #29
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Id go solid roller Cam Motion LLSR, cause you have to lift the heads anyway. It would be a monster and beat everything by 30rwhp, more valve control and safer imo.

VVT Id stick with GPI for their tuning/cam.

LS3 btr and TSP, its very similar. Personal preference or price shopping.

I have a 231 236(old stage 3 ) and it performs really good imo. I have 10k miles or so on the cam with the 650' springs and TI retainers. Holding up so far, 7200 rpm limit, often went there, to say the least. I got a killer deal. Pat Guerra did my remote tune.

I would go with a custom next time.

Get something spec'ed between the 2?

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:56 PM   #30
ZZZTOPZZZ

Drives: 2013 L99 2SS Vert
PyroGuy:

First off, I'm not a pro and don't pretend to be. I'm a bit older than most rodders here on the forum, 78, but I know what I like.

My Camaro is a LS99 vert with headers/pipes, reworked fuel pump, and a Procharger. I bought it new and it only comes out when the sun shines. Also, it gets put up every winter. I chose the LS99 because my wife can't fathom the stick. I think the AFM is very well engineered and fits a nitch, but it's not what I want. So, on top of what I've recently done, a new cam setup is in the works.

This project is not going to be cheap; a little less than half of the cost of the blower project, but nevertheless, it's not chump change either. The install will require the removal of the blower assembly and a complete tear-down of the top side of the engine, including the heads. Since I'm dealing with a highly successful speed shop near me (Motor City Racing), I'm going with what they have recommended, which is a Comp cam located out of Memphis.

http://www.compcams.com/

The cam will be a custom grind and they will strive to fit it in with my present setup. The bits and pieces are quite extensive and include the AFM/DOD delete kit, Felpro gaskets, ARP bolts and studs, and a rocker trunion upgrade set. Dyno-wise, I'm already on the plus side of 500 RWHP and expect a hefty boost from the new cam. I was told by my tuner that this it for my otherwise stock suspension, as well as maxing out the L99 itself. In order to to get it up to LS3 specs, it would need new pistons. If I understand correctly, the LS99 pistons are notched for the cam timing involved with AFM/DOS setup. So, for that small increase in compression ratio, I don't think it's worth it (I don't compete - just fool around). I hoping all this will be accomplished late this winter or early spring.

Good luck with your project - just wanted to share this here on the forum.

Tom D.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #31
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZTOPZZZ View Post
PyroGuy:

First off, I'm not a pro and don't pretend to be. I'm a bit older than most rodders here on the forum, 78, but I know what I like.

My Camaro is a LS99 vert with headers/pipes, reworked fuel pump, and a Procharger. I bought it new and it only comes out when the sun shines. Also, it gets put up every winter. I chose the LS99 because my wife can't fathom the stick. I think the AFM is very well engineered and fits a nitch, but it's not what I want. So, on top of what I've recently done, a new cam setup is in the works.

This project is not going to be cheap; a little less than half of the cost of the blower project, but nevertheless, it's not chump change either. The install will require the removal of the blower assembly and a complete tear-down of the top side of the engine, including the heads. Since I'm dealing with a highly successful speed shop near me (Motor City Racing), I'm going with what they have recommended, which is a Comp cam located out of Memphis.

http://www.compcams.com/

The cam will be a custom grind and they will strive to fit it in with my present setup. The bits and pieces are quite extensive and include the AFM/DOD delete kit, Felpro gaskets, ARP bolts and studs, and a rocker trunion upgrade set. Dyno-wise, I'm already on the plus side of 500 RWHP and expect a hefty boost from the new cam. I was told by my tuner that this it for my otherwise stock suspension, as well as maxing out the L99 itself. In order to to get it up to LS3 specs, it would need new pistons. If I understand correctly, the LS99 pistons are notched for the cam timing involved with AFM/DOS setup. So, for that small increase in compression ratio, I don't think it's worth it (I don't compete - just fool around). I hoping all this will be accomplished late this winter or early spring.

Good luck with your project - just wanted to share this here on the forum.

Tom D.
Thanks Tom, I appreciate the advice. With all of the advice I’m getting here as well as talking to the shop I’m going to have the cam done at I’m really just debating on whether or not to go NA cam and if/when the times comes to go forced induction change the cam for a forced induction setup or just putting in a forced induction specific cam now and taking the hit until I add forced induction later. I’m leaning towards just going with the NA cam for now and if I do go forced induction later then I’ll add the different cam to my build. With a new kid on the way forced induction is going to be a couple years off at earliest so I will at least get good use out of a NA cam. This way I can maximize what I’m doing now and build from there. Also, I’m holding off on head work for now. Eventually I may have the heads worked, but at this point I’ll just save the money for some supporting suspension mods to keep from breaking something else.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #32
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
I'm hearing you say you want to preserve drivability, and that this isn't a max-effort build. A PD specific cam is still gonna add a healthy dose of NA power. It wouldn't be ideal, but I don't hear you chasing ideal from your posts. If you think a PD is a high probability for the future, I'd future proof right now.

Of course, I hear the maybe when you say future blower, if that's like a 50/50 maybe and not an 80/20 maybe, then a NA cam may be the way to go.

What I really think you should do is get a custom ground cam that will work nicely for either application. Again, I don't hear you saying max effort, so I think you could get a piece made that gives you a big grin for NA power, and then works well under a PD blower. You seem dead set on BTR - do they offer custom grind options? I would call them, talk about your goals, and have them cut you what will suit your application best.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #33
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
I'm hearing you say you want to preserve drivability, and that this isn't a max-effort build. A PD specific cam is still gonna add a healthy dose of NA power. It wouldn't be ideal, but I don't hear you chasing ideal from your posts. If you think a PD is a high probability for the future, I'd future proof right now.

Of course, I hear the maybe when you say future blower, if that's like a 50/50 maybe and not an 80/20 maybe, then a NA cam may be the way to go.

What I really think you should do is get a custom ground cam that will work nicely for either application. Again, I don't hear you saying max effort, so I think you could get a piece made that gives you a big grin for NA power, and then works well under a PD blower. You seem dead set on BTR - do they offer custom grind options? I would call them, talk about your goals, and have them cut you what will suit your application best.
I was dead set on doing cam and blower at the same time originally, but life happens. To get anything right now I can do a cam or a blower and I want to go the route of a cam. No I am not looking to maximize the power to 1,000+rwhp, but my ultimate end goal is 600-650rwhp hence the LSA supercharger and not a centrifugal supercharger or turbos. My reasoning behind going with the BTR is multiple shops recommending their cams over many or all of the others. I've gotten one to say TSP as well, another to say GPI as well, but the common denominator behind all is BTR. Ironically people who post here don't seem to have their cams or are staying quiet on this thread, but from all of the shops I've talked to that appears to be their most popular brand. I may give BTR another call and see what their options are for custom setups. They do offer custom cams, but I have not pursued that option yet as I still am trying to figure out the science behind cams myself.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:51 AM   #34
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I was dead set on doing cam and blower at the same time originally, but life happens. To get anything right now I can do a cam or a blower and I want to go the route of a cam. No I am not looking to maximize the power to 1,000+rwhp, but my ultimate end goal is 600-650rwhp hence the LSA supercharger and not a centrifugal supercharger or turbos. My reasoning behind going with the BTR is multiple shops recommending their cams over many or all of the others. I've gotten one to say TSP as well, another to say GPI as well, but the common denominator behind all is BTR. Ironically people who post here don't seem to have their cams or are staying quiet on this thread, but from all of the shops I've talked to that appears to be their most popular brand. I may give BTR another call and see what their options are for custom setups. They do offer custom cams, but I have not pursued that option yet as I still am trying to figure out the science behind cams myself.
I hear you on life getting in the way - stuff sure does happen when we least expect it.

Nothing against BTR - they make great stuff - no valve spring I'd rather have in my setup than the Platinum 660's I have. They are the biggest for a reason - and I don't think you'll go wrong with them at all. I wouldn't hesitate to give them a call, let them know exactly what you want to accomplish now and in the future, and let them apply their expertise.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote