Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #29
ZenitramSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGOODWRENCH3 View Post
The Lucas Octane booster does work.
I use it all the time when I go to the track and I'm a believer too!
2011 2SS Imperial Blue - Volant CAI - SLP Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers - SLP Hi Flow Cats - Flowmaster Cat Back - SLP Line Lock - Full Hotchkis Race Pack Suspension - LS3 Conversion - Wild Comp Cam - Circle D Converter - Edlebrock E Force Supercharger - Weld Racing Wheels - M&H Drag Radial Tires -
ZenitramSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #30
StellarAuto

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
It's a VERY GOOD idea to run a cleaner (like techron) in GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection) engines. I solely do Lexus/Toyota and our IS250 (GDI) runs @ 2300 psi fuel injectors. Because of valve overlap (intake valve open during compression stroke and exhaust valve open during exhaust stroke) carbon builds up on the back side of the valve where it 'seats' (hence the name) to the head. We use BG CF5 every 5k mi. oil change to help prevent this. BTW GM top engine cleaner is awesome and doesn't need to be used more than every 50k mi. We (again) use BG induction service @ 90k mi., sometimes more as needed for our 10% ethanol gas we have here (CRAP!). HTH.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #31
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Very helpful thread, never knew about Techron.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #32
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Wish I knew about it earlier. My car is sitting at 25000km right now.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #33
StellarAuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Wish I knew about it earlier. My car is sitting at 25000km right now.
It's like they say about investing ; it's never to late to start!
Old 11-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #34
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
You said you would rather rely on members feedback rather than Google. You will get a hundred different opinions from members where you can get the real explanation from Google.

I don't make the gas but do work in the refineries that make gas. Octane does not automatically translate into more power. The only way you gain power from higher octane is that it slows down the burn rate allowing higher compression and more aggressive tuning like timing spark advancement without knock. It allows the gas to burn while the piston is on the down stroke rather than all burning while the piston is TDC.

As for the additives people speak of, you may get some cleanig benefit from some additives, not much else. I don't use them. Most gas these days burn a lot cleaner without leaving deposits like the leaded fuels of old. I run my car at higher RPMs sometimes which helps burn out deposits also.

Areas of the country that have different Octane gas available, is usually due to EPA standards to adjust for the climate in that particular region. Gas is actually refined differently in different regions for environmental requirements. California gas vs. Texas gas will have a slightly different chemical make up like the amounts of hectane, benzene, naphtha, etc.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #35
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
actually, for V6 guys, without catch-cans, you can end up with more than just air on the top... some of the V6's suck an awful lot of oil.

and of course that is the major concern with DI. There is no gas washing over the intake valves to keep them clean, and the nasty oil you are sucking in will build up on the intake valves and causes issues...
Good to know, thanks.

Only problem is Techron is sprayed right onto the valve in non-GDI engines. With GDI I tend to wonder if there's less benefit for valve deposits because of the lack of direct contact with the backside of the valve (but still provides other benefits).
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #36
Dasein

Drives: 2011 CGM 1LT
From what I hear, there's actually a decrease in horsepower when using an octane booster. At least from some video I once saw of a car on a dyno. Also, the chemistry of refining oil is a bit more complicated than simply putting in a "booster". Most of those things are scams.

Last edited by Dasein; 11-22-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Dasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #37
StellarAuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
Good to know, thanks.

Only problem is Techron is sprayed right onto the valve in non-GDI engines. With GDI I tend to wonder if there's less benefit for valve deposits because of the lack of direct contact with the backside of the valve (but still provides other benefits).
There is more benefit for GDI. Because of the valve overlap and higher combustion chamber temps, the vapors literally 'bake' on the back side of the valves quicker than normal FI.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #38
insomniac2k2

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS IOM
Well I drove my car off the lot with a nice 87 octane fillup. It lost power pretty fast. I filled up with 91 and ran a whole tank. No change. I then filled up with 91 again and added a half of a bottle of Lucas. It made a huge difference.

Next mission to to start pulling some fuses!
insomniac2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote