Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Fireslayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
After thoughts of my DynaTech LT's and high flow cats install

I managed to get my DynaTech LT's and high flow cats on today. Whoever said it was a 2 1/2 hour job was lying!

I think it took me in the vicinity of four hours with the help of 2 friends. We had air tools handy and used them quite a bit. We didn't have a lift and we only raised the front end of the car about 18".

This did slow us down a bit but not to bad. The O2 sensors are kind of a SOB to get off, IMO. Then again, this was my first time taking them or similar ones off. We used O2 extensions for the front sensors and the back were just fine.

We reused the factory gaskets and added anti-seize to the bolts and torqued the head bolts to 18 ft/lbs. I will check them again tomorrow for a re-torque.

We didn't have to cut anything off the midpipe. Everything lined up perfect with no pushing on the headers or head bolts. We did have to put the ball and socket flanged high flow on the "H" pipe loosely and then put the header on before connecting the high flow to the header. This gave us the clearance with the factory sleeves we needed to avoid the need of cutting the "H" pipe. The DynaTech's fit very nicely and they are a very high quality header system. Oh yeah, no taking off the steering rod either. They probably had a 1/4" clearance after being installed.

We didn't remove the spark plugs and we worked very carefully around them. We also used some zip ties to keep the O2 harnesses away from any crucial areas. I will recheck them tomorrow after driving some more.

On to the sound. It was just what I was hoping for with the CAI brand intake and stock cat-back. A bit deeper and louder at idle and normal driving and the perfect deep muscle car sound when you get the RPM's up. WOT is perfect balance of "hear me roar" without being too obnoxiously loud. It sounds awesome! I really doubt I'll do anything else to the cat back. Cat backs are expensive and weight loss of maybe 35 lbs. would be all I'd gain since the sound is what I want.

For anyone considering doing this yourself: Have all the tools you need to work safely. Take your time. Enlist a decently handy friend to help. Air tools are a huge bonus--especially on the head bolts or you'll be stuck with 1/4 turns for 12 bolts each way. I definitely wouldn't try doing this by yourself unless you are damn near a professional mechanic with all the luxurious tools! Just my opinion.
Fireslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
sschevybear11

Drives: 2011 Black 1SS
Did mine last night on a lift alone and took time to not lean on or scratch the car, less then 2.5 hours. Love mine also.
Now: Coated Dynatech LT's/!Cats/Hurst Shifter/Roto-fab/SLP SS badges/JRE 415HP Tune, Scoop & Washer Relocation Bottle,Hurst Stunner 20X9 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, ASP pulley, Magnaflow X-pipe, GTO remote clutch reservoir
1989 Silver 5.0 Mustang LX Coupe
1999 Pewter Tahoe LT
2011 Blue Camry SE
sschevybear11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
Fireslayer

You suck! I think it took me 15-20 minutes just to get the dipstick back in the hole. Of course, I had to relift the car after I realized I hadn't put it back in again. Just glad I remembered! What do you think of the sound? I took a spin and you can definitely feel the extra power--even without a tune.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
sschevybear11

Drives: 2011 Black 1SS
I got really lucky, as in the first time perfect in the hole. Never happen again either.
Car pulls real hard, LOVE IT. Exhaust is perfect, it can be loud when you want it and quiet when you don't. Voted best mod!
Now: Coated Dynatech LT's/!Cats/Hurst Shifter/Roto-fab/SLP SS badges/JRE 415HP Tune, Scoop & Washer Relocation Bottle,Hurst Stunner 20X9 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, ASP pulley, Magnaflow X-pipe, GTO remote clutch reservoir
1989 Silver 5.0 Mustang LX Coupe
1999 Pewter Tahoe LT
2011 Blue Camry SE
sschevybear11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Teddy at JRE did mine in a little over one hour...
Old 11-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Fireslayer

Geez,

That's quick. This was the first time I've really been under the hood of the Camaro. I'm sure if I had to do it again I'd be quicker but a lift definitely speeds things up considerably. One of the local speed shops here charges $300 for the install. That's not a bad price with the work considered--IMO.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
superchargemyride

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS 6M
Someone said to take out the o2 sensors while the exhaust is still warm and they come right out. Is that fact or fiction?

Order Date 5/27/11-Invoice Date 6/30/2011- Delivered to Dealer 7/20/2011- I Purchased 10/14/2011
superchargemyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I love my Dynatech's! Great sound with my Solo catback and the install was pretty straight forward! Took me about 4 hours myself with my son helping for about 1/2 hour to crawl under and hand the header up to me to attach to the heads! I didn't have to cut anything either because I think that Dynatech has made an adjustment for this problem. The older kits had to be cut about 1/2" off the cats to fit properly, and I think it was just the driver's side. Congrats on your install and I'm sure you'll love them as much as I do! Enjoy!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Great product and one of the easiest set of long tubes to install, I have the 2nd production set released, been on my car for over 2 years. The trick to a quick install really is having a lift. I've done enough sets to know the Dynatech's fit the best and are the easist to install. I can get them done in less than 2 hours now. Other brands usually take a little longer. I love the sound of mine as well as the quality, no issues at all in over 2 years and 26k.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
Fireslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I love my Dynatech's! Great sound with my Solo catback and the install was pretty straight forward! Took me about 4 hours myself with my son helping for about 1/2 hour to crawl under and hand the header up to me to attach to the heads! I didn't have to cut anything either because I think that Dynatech has made an adjustment for this problem. The older kits had to be cut about 1/2" off the cats to fit properly, and I think it was just the driver's side. Congrats on your install and I'm sure you'll love them as much as I do! Enjoy!
I think I have a 2nd run production set. I could see where you'd have to cut either the mid pipe or the high flow cat if you completely secured the LT to the head first on the drivers side. The factory band clamp won't slide enough onto the cat or the mid pipe--with the built in stops--to allow it to slide back over. This is IF you secure the header onto the head first and them go to fill in the gap between the midpipe and cat.

What I did: I loosely attached the cat to the mid pipe with the clamping sleeve in place in the middle. Then (with help of course) put the LT in place and carefully attached the header to the head with a bit of wiggle room but not torqued down. Then I attached the end of the LT to the cat loosely. Went back to the header and torqued the head bolts down. Then back to the LT to cat connection and then to the sleeve in between the cat and mid pipe.

Best part--no cutting and the Dyna tech LT with cat attached lined up with about an 1/8" in between the mid pipe and cat.

Slow moving for me but I think everything turned out well.

A quick question for anyone who would know. Does the anti seize smell a bit and "cook" a little at first? These were used LT's and cats so it's not new manufacturing oils. Other thought to the smell was some grease that may have got on the LT itself from the install. Transferred from my hands. I don't think I have an exhaust leek though. I sure in the heck don't know where it would come from. Tomorrow, when I drive it, I should know more if the light "haze" and smell is gone.

Last edited by Fireslayer; 11-12-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinoSS View Post
Teddy at JRE did mine in a little over one hour...
same here
Old 11-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #12
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
It's not that bad a job. I did it using ramps in my driveway took around 3 hours and did it alone. The trick to the O2's is you need to drive the car till it's warm and then they come out like butter. Of course the down side was to car was hot while I worked on it! I'm sure a friend helps a lot though.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #13
Fireslayer

I sure can tell the car needs a tune though. I couldn't imagine driving this thing without it. The AFM is a horrible sound with LT's and a high flows. The first time I heard it, I thought somthing was wrong with the install or somthing had worked loose. It finally dawned on me that it was the AFM kicking in.

I'm scheduled for a custom dyno and street tune on Wednesday. The tranny will also be tuned as well. The tuner I'm using has done a lot of these A6 tunes so I'm pretty pumped.

The power increase at WOT without the engine and tranny tune is very noticeable. I can't wait to get everything dialed in and smoothed out.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #14
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
you should have put some hair around the dip stick hole..... nice note though, about installing the cats on the headder first and then attaching it to the piping, then head bolts... I will have to remember that..
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote