Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-31-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
Kit Cars

What are your thoughts on kit cars / replicas?
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
mega_man_01103

Drives: 2011-12 Chevy Camaro
Send a message via AIM to mega_man_01103
i never had one but probably will in the future. I think its a good hobby and you will learn by doing.

do they come with instructions?

mega_man_01103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I think its pretty cool that you can order up everything for a 69 Camaro from Year One. I have no idea how much it will cost, but it will be reasonably inexpensive to get a 69 with 0 miles on it
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
[KRPT]ECP
Professional Lurker

Drives: '97 LeSabre
they do get relatively expensive, a quick google search gave me this site http://www.ss396.com/camaro_67-69.htm
[KRPT]ECP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
If I was going to do a kit car it would be a Sterling/Sebring. They are fiberglass bodies that sit on VW frames (or custom tubular) and have one piece cockpits that open upward. Check it out:

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
No offense to anyone who owns one.. But I would never own a kit car in my life... Mise well buy the real car. If you want to learn about cars, find a old 67 Camaro that needs to be fully restored and go from there.. I would feel like a "wanna be" driving a Kit car Lamborghini.. Reminds me of the time I saw some idiot in a Honda with a Ferrari horse logo on his car. :|

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
The reason I ask is I saw an awesome kit car at the D.C. Auto Show and started researching them. If you know what you're doing and have the time they really are cheap ways to have a cool car. Yeah, it's not a REAL Lambo or Porsche or Ferrari or Camaro or whatever; but, you can create a fun "one of a kind". I've never driven a kit car and never known anyone to own one, so I don't know about any of the possible issues that go along with them.
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
Power Junkie
GM give me my fix please!

Drives: 95 Toyota GT4
Location: England.. aka the EU's whipping boy!!! (but not for much longer, hopefully)
I'll be buying a GT40 kit car in the next couple of years... i've always loved the shape,and there's no way i could afford the price tag of a real one (that's if i could even find one).
Frankly there are good and bad kits... classics are usually the best way to go as most now look very close to the originals i.e. GT40's, HMC 3000's, Cobra's, Lotus 7's etc.... i don't like these "make a normal car kind of look like a supercar.... ish, if you squint and turn your head to the side" kits.. If you wanted some thing really exotic, and if your like me i.e you'd probably never have the money to be able to buy one (let alone run one) then there is a company called Parallel Designs that make a very good Lambo Diablo kit that is so close to the original it's scary (in fact they sell body parts to Diablo owners, they're that close) and they're currently working on a Miura too..... that looks Schweeeeeet

I think it's each to there own, but the thrill of building your own car, now that'd feel great.

Last edited by Power Junkie; 02-01-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Power Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Kits cars...

To each their own, jut not my "cup of tea".
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
No offense to anyone who owns one.. But I would never own a kit car in my life... Mise well buy the real car. If you want to learn about cars, find a old 67 Camaro that needs to be fully restored and go from there.. I would feel like a "wanna be" driving a Kit car Lamborghini.. Reminds me of the time I saw some idiot in a Honda with a Ferrari horse logo on his car. :|
There is a big difference between a kit car and a replica though. I don't like replicas like cobras or lambos but some of the original kit cars are nice.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #11
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
If I had the time, money, tools, and space, I would definitely get some kind of a kit car. Like Mega Man said, it'd be a great hobby that would also be very educational. There's just something about being involved in the creation process that would make that car so much more special. Plus, if anything goes wrong, you know every inch of that car and should be able to fix it pretty easily.

I also don't know if I would go for a replica kit, though it would be cool to own a '69 Camaro without paying '69 prices. There are some really nice original kits out there that you can get for relatively nothing.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I think its pretty cool that you can order up everything for a 69 Camaro from Year One. I have no idea how much it will cost, but it will be reasonably inexpensive to get a 69 with 0 miles on it
well the body alone is 12k and the engine ranges from 3k to 13k from yearone
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...ain2.asp?cat=8
Old 02-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #13
[KRPT]ECP
Professional Lurker

Drives: '97 LeSabre
yeah, kit cars can be cheap, but that's only if you want them to feel and work cheap. to get good parts for a kit car, you have to shell out alot more than you'd expect...
[KRPT]ECP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #14
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
If I was going to do a kit car it would be a Sterling/Sebring. They are fiberglass bodies that sit on VW frames (or custom tubular) and have one piece cockpits that open upward. Check it out:

I'd get that. If only for the fact that it opens upward, which would be really nice for me who keeps tearing up pants getting into the car.