Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-15-2022, 05:01 PM   #1
Kevin C-ZL1

Drives: 2015 ZL1, 2015 Z28
ZL1 ECF Insert Repair

Does anyone have any experience with repairing, or attempting to repair, a small crack on the edge of an Exposed Carbon Fiber hood insert? Thanks!
Kevin C-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:35 PM   #2
Whisper1
Never Satisfied

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2017 Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C-ZL1 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with repairing, or attempting to repair, a small crack on the edge of an Exposed Carbon Fiber hood insert? Thanks!
Not sure exactly what you are describing. My CF insert had small cracks in a couple spots along the edges where the the insert is parallel to the painted hood. I was having the hood repainted for some small stone chips anyway so I wanted it all taken care of at the same time. Paint tech said he could not guarantee that the cracks would not return on the insert. That was about 8 years ago and both the hood and the insert look brand new (it was repaired with 7K miles and now has 22K). Obviously the insert was removed and re-cleared with multiple coats and then put back together with the painted hood before being reinstalled on the car. My shop does top notch work so be careful with choosing the right shop to take this apart and make the repair should you go that direction.
Old 11-16-2022, 04:50 PM   #3
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
My car did not have one on it so I bought one from a member here and it had a spot on it after I got it. I took it to a body shop here where I live and they lightly sanded it and then re-cleared it but the spot was still there. What happened was someone before me sanded through the clear and got into the carbon threads and messed it up. It still showed the spot after it was re-sprayed so be very careful sanding the clear off.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote