Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
bsimms89
 
bsimms89's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS/RS Vert & 2017COPO#23 SC350
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 92
2012 Convertible water Management issue

Hey everybody, my 2012 convertible has always had a little rubbing on the top which I know was addressed with a redesign if people had the top changed(I didn't) now recently my convertible has been kicked out of the garage to make room for a '69 I just bought until i finish some construction work and I've started getting water in the drivers side rear floor. From what I've read this seems to either need a new water management bag or the drain tube is kinked. How much does this fix typically cost at a dealer, and would I be better off going to a dealer or a good body shop? My body shop does full repairs of pretty much totaled vehicles but I'm not sure whether it would be better going straight to the dealer for this. Whats everyone's recommendations and how much has this repair cost everyone in the past?
__________________
2012 IOM Camaro Convertible 2SS/RS, A6/L99, ARH Longtube headers, high flow cats, x-pipe & mufflers
CAI Cold Air Intake, Kaltech Tuned

2017 COPO #23 Black w/ Supercharged LSX350

2014 Raptor 6.2L Tuxedo Black Metallic w/ 2.9L Whipple, 78Lb/hr fuel injectors, Ford Racing Dual 65mm cobrajet throttle body, kooks headers & exhaust.

1969 Camaro SS (original SS350), Black w/ white Rally Stripes, new ZZ502ci 502hp motor, muncie 4 speed, 4.11 rear
bsimms89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 21,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimms89 View Post
Hey everybody, my 2012 convertible has always had a little rubbing on the top which I know was addressed with a redesign if people had the top changed(I didn't) now recently my convertible has been kicked out of the garage to make room for a '69 I just bought until i finish some construction work and I've started getting water in the drivers side rear floor. From what I've read this seems to either need a new water management bag or the drain tube is kinked. How much does this fix typically cost at a dealer, and would I be better off going to a dealer or a good body shop? My body shop does full repairs of pretty much totaled vehicles but I'm not sure whether it would be better going straight to the dealer for this. Whats everyone's recommendations and how much has this repair cost everyone in the past?
Mine sat outside for 5 years 24/7 never got water inside the floorboard but you need to be aware that in the fall and winter and early spring when you have rain or snow and temperature changes you can develop heavy condensation on the inside because the water bag never fully drains, especially if it is not parked level or if your drain tubes are partially plugged, Sometimes I would have water dripping from the windshield header panel it was so bad.
I eventually got a waterproof car cover that took care of water getting in while parked.
Hope that helps.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...
The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
bsimms89
 
bsimms89's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS/RS Vert & 2017COPO#23 SC350
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 92
I've had the car over 6 years, the first 3 of which it was outside year round and I never had water in it. You're saying that I should consider a half inch of water in the rear floor normal condensation and not worry about it?

Has anyone whos actually had this fixed know about how much it'll cost?
__________________
2012 IOM Camaro Convertible 2SS/RS, A6/L99, ARH Longtube headers, high flow cats, x-pipe & mufflers
CAI Cold Air Intake, Kaltech Tuned

2017 COPO #23 Black w/ Supercharged LSX350

2014 Raptor 6.2L Tuxedo Black Metallic w/ 2.9L Whipple, 78Lb/hr fuel injectors, Ford Racing Dual 65mm cobrajet throttle body, kooks headers & exhaust.

1969 Camaro SS (original SS350), Black w/ white Rally Stripes, new ZZ502ci 502hp motor, muncie 4 speed, 4.11 rear

Last edited by bsimms89; 09-21-2018 at 12:14 PM.
bsimms89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 21,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimms89 View Post
I've had the car over 6 years, the first 3 of which it was outside year round and I never had water in it. You're saying that I should consider a half inch of water in the rear floor normal condensation and not worry about it?

Has anyone whos actually had this fixed know about how much it'll cost?
I never said anything about it being normal to have water in the floorboard, I never had it happen myself. I was just giving advice about the condensation problem I experienced is all. All convertibles that have the waterbag system where it is open to the interior can experience that. Mine was probably worse because many times it sat for up to a month whthout being moved which allowed more time for condensation buildup. But still water in the floorboard never happened.
Make sure no leaves or debris are plugging the drains, possible if you drive with the top down and no tonneau especially in the fall.
I think I also read on a thread the drains can come loose and flood the trunk or interior, is there any water in the battery well in the trunk?
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...
The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:31 PM   #5
bsimms89
 
bsimms89's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS/RS Vert & 2017COPO#23 SC350
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 92
Well to get back to the point of the water management system leaking into the floor pan. The drains aren't plugged or clogged. My body shop suggested a convertible top repair place nearby, I spoke to them they only really do the tops and on't know much about the drainage bags. I went to my dealer, they said its usually around $1,800 to replace the water management bags, and I am waiting on a price to also get a new corded top to prevent the rubbing issues that my original tops has also been having.

Dealer said it was out of warranty so nothing they could do, I called chevy customer service they basically said yes its a known issue, new water management bags were issued in a TSB, and a new corded top was issued in a TSB but since it is outside the warranty period I have to pay for it out of pocket. I am very disappointed in GM for this, they admit it is due to a design problem but will not give anything towards correcting it.
__________________
2012 IOM Camaro Convertible 2SS/RS, A6/L99, ARH Longtube headers, high flow cats, x-pipe & mufflers
CAI Cold Air Intake, Kaltech Tuned

2017 COPO #23 Black w/ Supercharged LSX350

2014 Raptor 6.2L Tuxedo Black Metallic w/ 2.9L Whipple, 78Lb/hr fuel injectors, Ford Racing Dual 65mm cobrajet throttle body, kooks headers & exhaust.

1969 Camaro SS (original SS350), Black w/ white Rally Stripes, new ZZ502ci 502hp motor, muncie 4 speed, 4.11 rear
bsimms89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:50 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 21,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimms89 View Post
Well to get back to the point of the water management system leaking into the floor pan. The drains aren't plugged or clogged. My body shop suggested a convertible top repair place nearby, I spoke to them they only really do the tops and on't know much about the drainage bags. I went to my dealer, they said its usually around $1,800 to replace the water management bags, and I am waiting on a price to also get a new corded top to prevent the rubbing issues that my original tops has also been having.

Dealer said it was out of warranty so nothing they could do, I called chevy customer service they basically said yes its a known issue, new water management bags were issued in a TSB, and a new corded top was issued in a TSB but since it is outside the warranty period I have to pay for it out of pocket. I am very disappointed in GM for this, they admit it is due to a design problem but will not give anything towards correcting it.
One reason I finally sold mine, GM’s refusal to fix something I had to have fixed twice previously under warranty. Then I also had the concern about the condensation issue thay said was normal, plus water bag possibly flooding the car at some point.
Funny I have less concerns about my 12 year old Pontiac G6 convertible top than I had with my 6 year old Camaro’s.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...
The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:46 AM   #7
samman11
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro ss Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimms89 View Post
Well to get back to the point of the water management system leaking into the floor pan. The drains aren't plugged or clogged. My body shop suggested a convertible top repair place nearby, I spoke to them they only really do the tops and on't know much about the drainage bags. I went to my dealer, they said its usually around $1,800 to replace the water management bags, and I am waiting on a price to also get a new corded top to prevent the rubbing issues that my original tops has also been having.

Dealer said it was out of warranty so nothing they could do, I called chevy customer service they basically said yes its a known issue, new water management bags were issued in a TSB, and a new corded top was issued in a TSB but since it is outside the warranty period I have to pay for it out of pocket. I am very disappointed in GM for this, they admit it is due to a design problem but will not give anything towards correcting it.
Well, I would call GM back and ask for some financial assistance. Just because you didn't catch it or are the second owner should in no way penalize you. They KNEW it was an issue. Stress this. Are you a past GM buyer? If so, it helps to stress this as well. Tell them you AND YOUR FAMILY will continue to be loyal GM buyers IF they help meet you halfway with this repair. This goes a long way to having them help you when they factor in that your wife, sons, daughters, brothers, cousins, etc., will be told of this "treatment" by GM. They could potentially lose quite a lot of car sales through negative word of mouth bashing. Tell them this as well.

If all fails, then you must determine if the car is worth it to you to put in $1800. And, if you do, pick a dealer that has performed this task before. Don't be the one that they experiment on. I had mine done and the dealer did it right. They took their time. I bought mine used, but I had the 90 day lemon law working for me so all was covered.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
bigtwan25
 
Drives: 2011 SS
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: MARYLAND
Posts: 69
take it to a trim shop not a body shop
bigtwan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:53 PM   #9
Whoomba
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS vert
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 504
TSBs and they still won’t fix it? I call BS on that one. There’s a GM rep on here, can’t remember the user name. Maybe they’ll chime in.
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:43 PM   #10
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 21,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoomba View Post
TSBs and they still won’t fix it? I call BS on that one. There’s a GM rep on here, can’t remember the user name. Maybe they’ll chime in.
TSBs are only done cost free if the car is under warranty. Sorry but that is how it works, unless you have a very good relationship with the dealership they may help.

https://repairpal.com/blog/recalls-t...ou-have-to-pay
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...
The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #11
bsimms89
 
bsimms89's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS/RS Vert & 2017COPO#23 SC350
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 92
Haven't been to the dealer since I bought the car, I do all my own maintenance. I stressed all that on the phone with GM I own a 2012 Camaro, a 69 Camaro, have owned numerous other chevys in the past (my 2014 Raptor is the only non chevy vehicle I've owned) and race a 2017 COPO in Stock eliminator which represents Chevy performance. They still said since it wasn't under warranty even though it was a known issue it isn't covered. They said all they could do is note that I've had this problem and that if chevy decides there have been enough people with this problem they could decide to reimburse owners in the future I will be included (im not holding my breath for that one). I tried messaging the GM rep account on this board but in their account it says last post was on 10/10/2017 and last activity was 4/21/2018 so I don't think the account is still being monitored. I mean I don't want to spend all that on it, it'd be great if chevy would step up and do the right thing and reimburse me at least some for the repairs, because I plan on keeping this car so I am going to get it fixed right, but I'm very disappointed in Chevy's handling of a known issue that was caused due to a faulty design
__________________
2012 IOM Camaro Convertible 2SS/RS, A6/L99, ARH Longtube headers, high flow cats, x-pipe & mufflers
CAI Cold Air Intake, Kaltech Tuned

2017 COPO #23 Black w/ Supercharged LSX350

2014 Raptor 6.2L Tuxedo Black Metallic w/ 2.9L Whipple, 78Lb/hr fuel injectors, Ford Racing Dual 65mm cobrajet throttle body, kooks headers & exhaust.

1969 Camaro SS (original SS350), Black w/ white Rally Stripes, new ZZ502ci 502hp motor, muncie 4 speed, 4.11 rear
bsimms89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #12
samman11
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro ss Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimms89 View Post
Haven't been to the dealer since I bought the car, I do all my own maintenance. I stressed all that on the phone with GM I own a 2012 Camaro, a 69 Camaro, have owned numerous other chevys in the past (my 2014 Raptor is the only non chevy vehicle I've owned) and race a 2017 COPO in Stock eliminator which represents Chevy performance. They still said since it wasn't under warranty even though it was a known issue it isn't covered. They said all they could do is note that I've had this problem and that if chevy decides there have been enough people with this problem they could decide to reimburse owners in the future I will be included (im not holding my breath for that one). I tried messaging the GM rep account on this board but in their account it says last post was on 10/10/2017 and last activity was 4/21/2018 so I don't think the account is still being monitored. I mean I don't want to spend all that on it, it'd be great if chevy would step up and do the right thing and reimburse me at least some for the repairs, because I plan on keeping this car so I am going to get it fixed right, but I'm very disappointed in Chevy's handling of a known issue that was caused due to a faulty design
Well, not visiting the dealer since you bought the car is/was the kiss of death. Basically, what your saying is that you don't support the dealer for things like oil changes, brakes, etc., but now you want GM/Dealer to support you. What they are thinking is since you did all your own work then, why not continue and do your own work now? Harsh, I know, but true. When I had a transmission go early on a GM car that was beyond warranty, first thing GM reps did was look at my service record at the dealership where I bought the car. Thank goodness I had brought it back there for a few things, because my "loyalty" was the reason they went ahead and covered the transmission repair. I understand you doing your own work, but you can't expect the dealer to step in for you now. They make most of their money from the service end, not from actually selling the new car.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.