Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #99
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe h View Post
A little late to the discussion, but it is definitely disappointing. Gm has been promising a super charged, fully warrantied track car since 2007, and the best they have come up with is stripped down ss, with a very weak ls7 motor, that cannot be modified without blowing it up. They needed to stop playing games and dropped a god damn ls9 in this car. Everyone else is dropping 600+hp motor in their cars for less. Seriously, if I had 75 grand lying around, a z28 is the last car I'm looking at.
yea, what are you talking about? it's rather well known that the best C6 is a Z06 (same LS7 engine) with engine upgrades or with a supercharger. It's much faster, lighter, and cheaper than the ZL1. The LS7 is a hand built engine that is rock solid. Callaway supercharges a Z06 to 800+ hp no problem with a full warranty.

Last edited by maddoggyusa; 03-01-2014 at 02:46 PM.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #100
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Yeah, really. The car is a far cry of it was originally envisioned to be. Glad I never waited. A junk motor, mounted on the same frame.
Who's vision?

I'll say that it "exceeded" my vision.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #101
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
First rule of online forums? Don't feed the trolls...
Old 03-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #102
maddoggyusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
I don't think you have any idea how many engineers you just degraded and insulted without posting any empirical data to support such a harsh claim. Or perhaps you do. Either way, as a person with a Z/28 on order, I would be most interested in knowing more about the "junk motor" so I can give serious consideration to canceling my order, as I certainly have no desire to own any car with a "junk motor," much less a $75,000 monument to my automotive ignorance.
there is nothing wrong with this engine. all LS7 and LS9 engines are hand built (and I believe on the Corvette have a signed plaque by the builder). People always talk about their cylinder walls but they have proven to be rock solid with heavy mods (800+hp).
Old 03-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #103
bionick

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
yea, what are you talking about? it's rather well known that the best C6 is a Z06 (same LS7 engine) with engine upgrades or with a supercharger. It's much faster, lighter, and cheaper than the ZL1. The LS7 is a hand built engine that is rock solid. Callaway supercharges a Z06 to 800+ hp no problem with a full warranty.
I thought the ZR1 was the top C6?
And also I'm sure you know this, but the 2015 Z06 will come with a supercharged LT3 from the factory and will outperform the ZR1 and will come with 625 HP opposed to 505 HP LS7.
Apparently GM thinks the supercharged LT3 performs better than a supercharged LS7..
Old 03-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #104
maddoggyusa

stock zr1 is better than stock z06 no doubt. lots of people are running naturally aspirated z06's and putting down hp numbers well above stock ZR1's. and if you add a supercharger to the 7 liter, it's easy to see how it outperforms the ZR1's 6.2 liter and saves some serious money. bang for buck, I don't think anything can touch the older Z06 at $75k... the new one will be sweet but it will cost a bunch more maybe $100k.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #105
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Quote:
Do you mean ZR1?

Quote:
stock zr1 is better than stock z06 no doubt. lots of people are running naturally aspirated z06's and putting down hp numbers well above stock ZR1's. and if you add a supercharger to the 7 liter, it's easy to see how it outperforms the ZR1's 6.2 liter and saves some serious money. bang for buck, I don't think anything can touch the older Z06 at $75k... the new one will be sweet but it will cost a bunch more maybe $100k.
Are you referring to stock Z06 motors? If so, I don't think your correct. Stock Z06 motor is rated for 505hp and the ZR1 is rated at 638hp.

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #106
maddoggyusa

yes I meant zr1

read this...
http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/did...ls7-1516804657
Old 03-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #107
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
troll hard!

LS7 junk? yes and no.
The fact that GM has tip toed around the issue of the valves tells me either its not as wide spread as the internet has made it out to be OR they would just like to sweep the thing under the bed and be done with it.

IF (big IF) they fixed the valve issue - the LS7 is the best damn motor GM has produced to date.

Cam only and make 550whp give or take from a stock engine!!!!!!

The camaro is a fat ass. No one will deny that it is. BUT look at the numbers this pig is turning in

I hate repeat HATE the price tag. Now if a class pops up and this thing can race in it the way it is - then the price tag theory changes a bit. But for just doing laps - i cant swallow it at this point
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:16 PM   #108
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
A little late to the discussion, but it is definitely disappointing. Gm has been promising a super charged, fully warrantied track car since 2007, and the best they have come up with is stripped down ss, with a very weak ls7 motor, that cannot be modified without blowing it up. They needed to stop playing games and dropped a god damn ls9 in this car. Everyone else is dropping 600+hp motor in their cars for less. Seriously, if I had 75 grand lying around, a z28 is the last car I'm looking at.
Quote:
Yeah, really. The car is a far cry of it was originally envisioned to be. Glad I never waited. A junk motor, mounted on the same frame.
Quote:
It has very weak cylinder walls. So don't mod it, don't run it hard when the engine is cold, and change the oil often(like after every hard run.) Otherwise have fun.
The LS7 in the 5th gen will never be viewed as a disappointment. By any chance, do you have a shirt that says"Troll hard?"
Old 03-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #109
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
....I read a comment and will jump to the end without quoting. The 1LE's flew off the lots here in Central Jersey....other sales in the trim lines or models of the Camaro paled in comparison.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #110
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...about the LS7, traditionally...Chevy has alway made good baseline engines. The baseline engine has always had ample room for growth. The aftermarket industry has always been there to supply the need for growth, or fill any void the consumer desires. The manufacturer can not supply a Nascar engine to the general public for common sense and otherwise known EPA and across the board GOV restrictions. The LS7 comes in under the reg's, it's survivability expectations are sound, and it is a motor one can upgrade easily like the first Gen small block to race and survive. None of them have ever met that requirement from the factory. Caveat, todays warranties and survivability rates are at a standard much higher than ever before.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:46 PM   #111
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
In engineering and science we need data. Antidotal claims are not data. Such claims are fine, but they represent a hypothesis. Do you have data, or a hypothesis? Please show the data, especially the data that elevates your warning beyond the statistical norms for failure to be expected with any engine or mechanical device.
^^^ Schooled

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #112
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
just ask yourselves before you buy it, is it a 75k car when the dealer is going to tell you it is worth 50k the moment you drive it off the lot.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote