Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
Breastman

Drives: 06' Avalanche
Void Warranty?

will having the mufflers removed/straight piped void the warranty?
Breastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
BigBOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS, 6M, IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breastman View Post
No.
BigBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
tcamp

Drives: 2010 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breastman View Post
Don't do it man A few people tried it and it sounds bad ass at idle then it all goes down hill once you touch the gas pedal.
tcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcamp View Post
Don't do it man A few people tried it and it sounds bad ass at idle then it all goes down hill once you touch the gas pedal.

But it also netted 16 horsepower on the dyno, so if you're looking for cheap horsepower with no regard to sound, this is a good way to do it.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post

But it also netted 16 horsepower on the dyno, so if you're looking for cheap horsepower with no regard to sound, this is a good way to do it.
- X

I'm not sure I could live with that sound even if it netted 100HP!!!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
I'm not sure I could live with that sound even if it netted 100HP!!!

camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
jerseymike68
Account Suspended

Drives: black
Good luck!
jerseymike68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
I've been wondering how much the stock resonators have to do with messing up the sound of the V6. I mean, just listen to the exhaust of all the ones that people have done so far. The two things most of these systems have in common is that some sort of X pipe is added and the stock resonators are removed/replaced.

The Corsa system adds an X pipe and uses Corsa's resonators.

The Borla Cat-back system adds an X pipe and removes the stock resonators.

The MBRP system adds an X pipe and removes the stock resonators.

The MRT (scrming's) system is basically double resonated with the stock resonators and a pair of AR25's.

Suavecito1177's custom Magnaflow setup gets rid of the stock resonators but uses a single muffler with Magnaflow's Tru-X design (built-in X pipe).

I'm thinking that maybe getting rid of the stock resonators and adding an X pipe will help out the sound of this car a lot.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
BigBOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS, 6M, IBM
The stock exhaust already comes with an H-Pipe. Not sure what the difference would be between an X and an H pipe though.
BigBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBOSS View Post
The stock exhaust already comes with an H-Pipe. Not sure what the difference would be between an X and an H pipe though.
Short version of the difference between the two is that H-pipes equalize pressure differences between the left and right side of the exhaust systems with very little mixing of exhaust flow between the sides. X-pipes equalize pressure differences as well but they also mix the exhaust flow from both sides.

Both are good for performance and noise control but H-pipes tend to help with performance more than X-pipes.

Excerpt from a really good article on exhaust systems: http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...exh/index.html

Quote:
Virtually all V-8 exhaust systems can be refined by the addition of a balance or X-pipe. These have two potential attributes: increased power and reduced noise. Extensive dyno testing on both of these factors has indicated balance and X-pipes are 100 percent successful at reducing noise. The reductions amount to a minimum of 1 dB to a maximum of 3 dB with 2 dB being common. As far as power is concerned, things are a little less certain. With engines between about 325 to 550 hp, experience indicates that in about 60 percent of the cases (mostly with balance pipes), the engine can deliver as much as 12 additional hp, with 5-8 being the most common. The other remaining 40 percent tested showed virtually no change in output either up or down. Based on such results, we can conclude that a balance or X-pipe is always a positive asset and never a negative.

Balance pipe sizing seems not to be overly critical. The only really influential dimension is the pipe diameter. This needs to have an area at least equal to that of a 2.25-inch diameter pipe (4 square inches) with 2.5 to 2.75 inches being preferable. Though limited to tests on engines up to a little fewer than 600 hp, there seems to be no measurable benefits to using a crossover pipe bigger than 2.75 inches in diameter. As for the crossover length, dyno results indicate that 18 inches responds in virtually the same manner as 72 inches long.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
In general and in the v8 world x-pipes are regarded as being more high pitched and raspy than the h-pipe... check any of the car forums... they all seem to agree on that part at least... LOL

Not sure if that still applies to the V6 world but when we built a custom dual exhaust for my V6 Mustang Scott (MRT) built me an H-pipe... His take is the H sounds better...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
Dans2SS

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
I like the sound of H=pipes better.
So is anyone making them for the Camaro?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans2SS View Post
I like the sound of H=pipes better.
So is anyone making them for the Camaro?
The V6 comes with an 2.5" H-pipe from the factory.

Not sure about the SS since I don't own one and really haven't followed those threads as much.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #14
Dans2SS

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
I read there was on stock. but I'm thinking if I doe LTs and a catback that will be gone. Was wondering if there were any on the market as a seperate piece.