Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 10-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Tonneau cover dealership cost?

Long story short, my Camaro didn't come with the tonneau cover. I asked my salesman if he could give me a better price than retail since it should have come with the cover. He came back with $365 and said that was his cost. :(
I suspect that is retail since this is also about what they are priced on Ebay.
Any suggestions?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
seen them from $320 to $499 on ebay..

My dealer has them for $420. MSRP is $499....

GMpartsdirect.com has them for $350.

this site has them for $299: http://www.audiovideo2go.com/search....804475&x=0&y=0

part number is 22804475
Old 10-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Jed90245
Jed90245

Drives: Camaro Vert 2LT, Black w/ Biege Top
Not worth it; I have my vert for almost a year but only had to put it on maybe three times. Unless you'll be using it for show, i recommend not; plus it tends to fly off.
Jed90245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed90245 View Post
Not worth it; I have my vert for almost a year but only had to put it on maybe three times. Unless you'll be using it for show, i recommend not; plus it tends to fly off.

the 2012 and 2013s have tie down strap loops, they don't fly off like the 2011s did.

however I agree, big pain in the ass to put on and take off, and it can easily cause scratches on the adjoining panels from putting it on and taking it off and road vibration.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
boozeitup

Drives: 2011 2ss Vert
Ive never used mine still in bag. My car is a 2011. If you want it 200.00 plus shipping probably 30.00.
boozeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #6
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed90245 View Post
There's been lots of discussion on this forum whether or not to use the tonneau cover. Especially when you consider Chevy doesn't include one with all trim levels.

I'm in the use it if you got it camp. No matter how big a PITA it is, the cover goes on when my top goes down. I don't like watching the top flap around in the wind with it off. Although many will argue differently, I think the flapping promotes more wear and tear to the top over the long run.

And while we're on the subject, the Camaro seems to be the only convertible to exhibit this flapping behavior. Other manufactuers use mechanisms that either cover the top when it folds down or fold it tight enough that it doesn't flap around. This past summer I watched a new Mustang convertible driving the freeway, top down, no cover and the top didn't budge an inch. Why the Chevy engineers chose to loosely fold the top remains a mystery to me.

Last edited by hawk02; 10-30-2012 at 06:16 AM.
hawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by boozeitup View Post
Ive never used mine still in bag. My car is a 2011. If you want it 200.00 plus shipping probably 30.00.
Thanks! I will consider your offer

I just don't like the idea of the top flapping going down the highway especially because of the issues already noted with the convertible tops. But I was not aware that they had a tendency to fly off either. That is something to think about.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hworth18 View Post
Thanks! I will consider your offer

I just don't like the idea of the top flapping going down the highway especially because of the issues already noted with the convertible tops. But I was not aware that they had a tendency to fly off either. That is something to think about.
simple fix for a 2011, you already have the bolt holes for the tie down strap loops, my dealer retro fits the 2012 covers onto 2011s because of the issue, so it can be done if you get the parts (about $25 worth).
Old 10-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post

And while we're on the subject, the Camaro seems to be the only convertible to exhibit this flapping behavior. Other manufactuers use mechanisms that either cover the top when it folds down or fold it tight enough that it doesn't flap around. This past summer I watched a new Mustang convertible driving the freeway, top down, no cover and the top didn't budge an inch. Why the Chevy engineers chose to loosely fold the top remains a mystery to me.

'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
OP...incredible is correct...the elastic loops work great. I've bee n at speeds of 70+ on the freeway and the thing doesn't move at all.

Also, there was a member that did a little work on the older one with the clip that may help you if you go with that model. Good luck.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...66#post5114866
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikenn View Post
OP...incredible is correct...the elastic loops work great. I've bee n at speeds of 70+ on the freeway and the thing doesn't move at all.

Also, there was a member that did a little work on the older one with the clip that may help you if you go with that model. Good luck.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...66#post5114866
I made two mods to my cover;

I designed clips that snap over the post and up, rather than straight down. I was told by another engineer that the orginal clip design allowed an owner to accidently initiate raising the top with the cover installed without damaging the top or cover (guess they didn't want to invest in sensor switches and overrides for a cover they don't offer on all models). The updated elastic loops on the 2012+ provide the same security as my clips. I was just concerned about the loops wearing out and stretching over time. I've since had mine at 112 mph for sustained time and the cover doesn't even move.

The other mod was lining the underside of the cover with heavy black felt. I noticed wear marks on my top where the cover rubbed on the highest portion. For awhile, I laid the felt between the two, then I just attached it to the cover with spray adhesive. This makes for a tighter fit and less movement.

I use my cover all the time, unless its a short trip and I know the top will go up at my next stop. On cruises or road trips, I much rather have the cover in place than to see the top flapping in the wind or debris falling into the mechanism or water bag.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
On cruises or road trips, I much rather have the cover in place than to see the top flapping in the wind or debris falling into the mechanism or water bag.
LOL...don't know about the 112 MPH but definitely this! ^^^^^^ nice job!
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by boozeitup View Post
I've also got a 2012 tonneau cover, still in the bag, for sale...
$31,500. It comes with an Imperial Blue Camaro RS, V6 Auto.

Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #14
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
I've also got a 2012 tonneau cover, still in the bag, for sale...
$31,500. It comes with an Imperial Blue Camaro RS, V6 Auto.