Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-08-2016, 08:37 PM   #155
xPowdrdToastMan

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro 2SS/RS
Had the oil pump replaced October 2014 for this issue on my 2011 2SS...2 weeks ago it started doing it again. Took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't see a problem. Oil level was fine. Drove it home, it's happened 3 times in the last week. I've noticed that it'll Happen when I'm not on level ground though. If I level the car or just wait a few seconds without turning it off, the oil pressure gauge jumps back up. No ticking.

This absolutely has me looking at trading it in since I'm not covered under Powertrain anymore and it's my DD. So crazy GM has seen all these problems and never recalled it.
xPowdrdToastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #156
tad024

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE (Sold)
I am having the low oil pressure issue with my 2014 1LE.....Thanksgiving morning I started the car and got the low oil pressure please turn off engine message...towed to dealership on Friday. Wednesday I get a call that they reinstalled the pressure sensor and changed the oil filter, because it was supposedly an issue with the filter...Thursday morning I crank up the car and get low oil pressure and we are towed back again to the dealership...now they have no idea what the issue is, and have been driving the car trying to recreate the error (even though it has only happened to me on start up and I have told them this) I talked to the technician who is working on my car who says he has no idea...is there a TSB for the 14? or anyone else have any ideas?
tad024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #157
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad024 View Post
I am having the low oil pressure issue with my 2014 1LE.....Thanksgiving morning I started the car and got the low oil pressure please turn off engine message...towed to dealership on Friday. Wednesday I get a call that they reinstalled the pressure sensor and changed the oil filter, because it was supposedly an issue with the filter...Thursday morning I crank up the car and get low oil pressure and we are towed back again to the dealership...now they have no idea what the issue is, and have been driving the car trying to recreate the error (even though it has only happened to me on start up and I have told them this) I talked to the technician who is working on my car who says he has no idea...is there a TSB for the 14? or anyone else have any ideas?
Hi tad024,

I’m sorry to learn you’re experiencing this ongoing oil pressure concern with your Camaro. I see that you are seeking insight from other forum members, but feel free to send us a private message if you’d like our support. We would be more than willing to contact your dealership to gather more information and look into this further on our end. Please be sure to include your full contact information, current mileage, VIN, and servicing dealership in your message if this is something of interest.

All the best,

Julie C
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #158
keenjim312

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I actually have a 2010 2SS with LS3, before warranty was up at 69,200 miles I had an inspection done to the car to see if anything could be covered and got a clean bill of health and did oil change so I did not extend warranty. I drive it at least once a week and 3,000 miles later I get the no oil pressure warning. Shut it off and towed to dealer. Was told I was a quart and a half low which I did not believe. Told oil pressure switch was not sending signal to ECM. replaced oil and filter. Two weeks later and 120+ ot - I get the same reading. shut it off and towed in. They kept starting engine to check oil pressure. Now I have a fried engine. Cam bearings and connecting rod bearings all scarred now. Who is liable now? I believe dealer is.
keenjim312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #159
keenjim312

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Oil Pump Disaster

I actually have a 2010 2SS with LS3, before warranty was up at 69,200 miles I had an inspection done to the car to see if anything could be covered and got a clean bill of health and did oil change so I did not extend warranty. I drive it at least once a week and 3,000 miles later I get the no oil pressure warning. Shut it off and towed to dealer. Was told I was a quart and a half low which I did not believe. Told oil pressure switch was not sending signal to ECM. replaced oil and filter. Two weeks later and 120+ ot - I get the same reading. shut it off and towed in. They kept starting engine to check oil pressure. Now I have a fried engine. Cam bearings and connecting rod bearings all scarred now. Who is liable now? I believe dealer is.
keenjim312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:53 AM   #160
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Oil pressure gauge at zero...

I'll add my story here as well...2012 SS with a little over 98K miles on it, my daily driver. I've had pretty much zero issues with the car, it's been a good one. A few days ago, I noticed my engine light on. It's gone on before when the gas cap wasn't secured properly, so I thought it may be that issue again since I'd just gotten gas earlier in the day. The engine light never went off even after trying to re-secure the gas cap. Fast forward to tonight, on the way to work. I was driving and looked at the gauges to see the the oil pressure gauge was at zero. All other gauges looked fine. I did not get anything that says "turn engine off" and I don't have any knocking or noises that I shouldn't be hearing. Once at work, I turned the car off, let it sit for a few minutes and turned it back on, but it's still at zero. I got an oil change about 2 months ago, and my dash info says I have 70% oil life left. I've never had this happen before. If I'm not hearing any unusual noises, could this mean that it's possibly just the sensor that needs replacing? Reading through this thread, it appears there's a TSB on that, it that true? Obviously, my car is out of warranty, so I'm hoping it's nothing more than a sensor...
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:44 AM   #161
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcandy View Post
I'll add my story here as well...2012 SS with a little over 98K miles on it, my daily driver. I've had pretty much zero issues with the car, it's been a good one. A few days ago, I noticed my engine light on. It's gone on before when the gas cap wasn't secured properly, so I thought it may be that issue again since I'd just gotten gas earlier in the day. The engine light never went off even after trying to re-secure the gas cap. Fast forward to tonight, on the way to work. I was driving and looked at the gauges to see the the oil pressure gauge was at zero. All other gauges looked fine. I did not get anything that says "turn engine off" and I don't have any knocking or noises that I shouldn't be hearing. Once at work, I turned the car off, let it sit for a few minutes and turned it back on, but it's still at zero. I got an oil change about 2 months ago, and my dash info says I have 70% oil life left. I've never had this happen before. If I'm not hearing any unusual noises, could this mean that it's possibly just the sensor that needs replacing? Reading through this thread, it appears there's a TSB on that, it that true? Obviously, my car is out of warranty, so I'm hoping it's nothing more than a sensor...

oil sending unit failed. mine did that at 68Kish

was showing high first....(oil pressure gauge all the way max) for about a week. Then one day it stood at zero.

here's the writeup i did when mine failed in late 2016 hope it helps

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468929

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:35 AM   #162
InfernoOrg2ss

Drives: 2011 Inferno orange Camaro 2SS
Hi I know this is a older thread but I need help I'm new to camaro5 my brother in law has a 2012 2ss ls3 67k miles heast got a low oil message turn off engine my question is did the 2012 have the oil pump problems I ask because I have a 2011 2ss ls3 with 138k miles an haven't had a problem from mine thank you all for your time
InfernoOrg2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #163
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoOrg2ss View Post
Hi I know this is a older thread but I need help I'm new to camaro5 my brother in law has a 2012 2ss ls3 67k miles heast got a low oil message turn off engine my question is did the 2012 have the oil pump problems I ask because I have a 2011 2ss ls3 with 138k miles an haven't had a problem from mine thank you all for your time
My understanding is it can affect all years and is caused by debris left in the block from machining it. He was just unlucky I'd say.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:31 PM   #164
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
My understanding is it can affect all years and is caused by debris left in the block from machining it. He was just unlucky I'd say.
The problem is that this is a common problem with LS3.

Every time I read about oil pump failure at LS3 I shake my head about the idi*t who invented this pump and even bigger that he approved to mount it in the car. :m ad2:

A gold oil pump in my old small block. 40 years and still work perfekt!!!
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:28 PM   #165
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Did your B-I-L hear engine noise when he got the msg? If not it’s probably the sending unit failed.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:36 PM   #166
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Yes block debris can affect all years but was more prevalent in ‘10-‘12s, however debris from block would cause pump failure looooong before 67k miles. Messages at that mileage without engine noise is a failed sending unit.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #167
BAH2SS
Stigs Bahraini Cousin

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Did the oil pressure suddenly drop? I mean was it working and showing normal range pressure or getting lower by time?
Most probably it's the oil pressure sending unit. What I would do is check the oil pressure manually by a pressure gauge. I remove the oil filter and place the pressure gauge or disconnect the engine oil cooler line and connect your pressure gauge to it which ever fitting you have.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #168
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
At 67K miles i doubt its debris from machining.

I would not turn the car on at all at this point.

First things first:

I see its a 2ss, without starting the motor, what does the oil gauge do when you put the key in the "on" position?

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote