Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 07-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Track Days at Race Tracks......

I have heard people talking about track days at Raceways and had some questions.Is there a list of Race Tracks that do this?What do you have to do to get involved?I would like to take My SS out to some of these tracks when they do this.I live in North Carolina and would be willing to drive 6 or 8 hours to attend one. If anybody has any info about this please post it...
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Well I can only say for myself. But in Washinton there are quite a few tracks you can go out to. Pacific Raceways being what I would consider the only true racetrack in WA. We have Packwood and Bremerton mortosports park as well, along with some others.

What it usually takes is just a Sunday and some money. To go "autocrossing" you dont need anything but a street legal car (These are SCCA sancitoned races).

Pacific Raceways however will take a bit more. It requires a high-performance course class that will run 400-500 dollars. then you are certified for track days. these run about 200 bucks for a day and you get about an hour of seat time.
" First, there was darkness, Then, On March 16th, Scott said LET THERE BE CAMARO, and there was Camaro, and Scott saw that it was good. Camaro5 3:16"

VIN: 2G1FT1EWXA9120523
ETA 7/6/09 (Delivered 7/10/09)
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Guthdawg

Drives: 2017 SS Camaro
I live in Dallas Texas and I know Texas Motor Speedway in Ft. Worth offers "Drive your car on the speedway" nights. They have these events 2 or 3 times a year. It's like 20 - 25 dollars to drive your personal car around the track a few times.

I know that Dallas is more than 6 - 8 hours from you but you should check with your local NASCAR facility. I know one is located in NC.

http://www.texasmotorspeedway.com/bl...-speedway.aspx
Guthdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
I wouldn't do it, you'll end up needing a tow truck
Treadstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I assume you're talking road courses right? My suggestion would be to attend a high performance driving school first. There are tons of them all over. Just google "high performance driving school". After attending such a school, you'll be prepared to take your car on a road course in a racing or solo time-trial event (or even just an open track day) with much less chance of crashing or damaging your car in some other way.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleybacker View Post
I wouldn't do it, you'll end up needing a tow truck
Why would he end up needing a tow truck? If you drive within your abilities you'll be fine...
Old 07-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Summit Point in West Virginia I would recommend for full road-race instruction. I did a couple of Fridays at the Track and you run what you bring.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
jonm38

Drives: 2016 Siliverado LT. Camaro SS
Virginia Motorsports Park.

JJ, up in Virginia on I-85 you have Virginia Motorsports Park, it is a drag strip park, plus they can set up a autocross for any car. I went to VMSP back end of May, I did the autocross with my current car (2004 GTO). That was fun, but I never drag raced it. Back in May, they had a Pontiac's in the Park, alot of GTO's was there drag racing. I saw one guy tuning his Goat by computer.
Virginia Motorsports Park is in Petersburg, VA, south of Richmond, VA. Plus you have Bristol Motor Speedway/Strip in TN/VA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ2010 View Post
I have heard people talking about track days at Raceways and had some questions.Is there a list of Race Tracks that do this?What do you have to do to get involved?I would like to take My SS out to some of these tracks when they do this.I live in North Carolina and would be willing to drive 6 or 8 hours to attend one. If anybody has any info about this please post it...
jonm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
This Monday July 13, I just went to my third HPDE track day in the past three years. Monday was at the Watkins Glen track in NY. Last year was at Loudon New Hampshire, and in 2007 I went to Lime Rock Park.

Attached is a pic from Watkins Glen the other day.

I go with a club that costs about $275 per event. For that fee at Watkins Glen, we got five 30-minute track sessions, 3 classroom sessions, and one-on-one instruction from the passenger seat.

Whatever your expectations are, track days go beyond that, and then some! You can't compare it to driving hard on the street. It's full-bore, all-out, as-fast-as-you-dare driving for 20 to 30 uninterrupted minutes at a time, in a safe environment no less. And you learn proper high performance driving techniques in the process.

The club I went with is the Sports Car Driving Association (SCDA), and I'm sure they're typical of most. Check out their website for an overview of what it's all about, and hopefully I'll see you all at the track soon.

http://www.scda1.com/

ps - I reached almost 130 mph at Watkins Glen on the long straight after the "esses" and before the "bus stop." I'm sure a Camaro SS would be close to 140 mph there!
Attached Images

Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Thanks guys for all your help......
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
baileyrx

Drives: 2003 g35
In North Carolina try these:

raleigh club>>>>>>>> http://www.thscc.com/timetrial/index.html
(they have an event at Carolina Motorsport Park- it's new. I haven't been there yet)

mazda drivers club>>> http://www.mazdadrivers.com/
(they have a full course event at the end of August, great layout, lots of turns, evelation changes & 2 loooong straigtaways)

bmw club>>>>>>>>> http://tarheelbmwcca.org/
(they also have a full course event the 2nd week of september)

normally any car make is invited they do alot at vir

VIR: >>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.virclub.com/

i raced with all 3 organizations, they're all 1st rate. safe & fun with normally 4 groups/ skill levels, with in-car instructors

let me know if you need any more info...

jim

they race at Roebling too, but its further away...

also you should try out Rockingham dragway for some full 1/4 mile drags... test -n- tune most friday nights

http://www.rockinghamdragway.com/contact/
baileyrx is offline   Reply With Quote