Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 12-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Circuit of the Americas Video

This past weekend I did a track event at Circuit of The Americas with Chin Motorsports. It was both Saturday and Sunday, unfortunately it rained for pretty much the whole weekend and the warmest I ever saw the temps was 47*F. This was my first time to track COTA.

It rained Friday night and up until around 9 or 10 Saturday morning. Then it stopped and was just wet and cold. Luckily the racing line started to dry out, but unfortunatley the track just never got completely dry and forget about the track itself warming up. The morning session I was on my street tires, which are Pilot Super Sports rears and Eagle F1 fronts, my experience could best be described as trying to ice skate with a jet pack. Since it wasn't raining in the afternoon I figured I'd try my luck with the Nitto NT01's (couldn't be any worse), I have never tracked on these tires. Let me tell you, despite it being in the mid 40's and still damp, these things were awesome and I cannot wait to try them in the dry. Aside from a couple good stints Saturday afternoon I basically couldn't run the track anywhere below 4th gear without the back end instantly start to come out, which unfortunately caused me to bog during corner exits. There were TONS of Porsche GT3's (among some Ferrari's and 3 McLarens and other exotics). Those Porsche's are amazing at putting the power down in the rain. I was eating up a lot of Porsche's Saturday afternoon and then Sunday morning rolls around with lots of rain and those same Porsche's were blasting by me, especially coming out of the turns.

Here are two videos. The first one was me trying to keep up with the fastest car in my run session (a new Porsche GT3) and the second video is me leading the pack and putting down some clean runs in the damp.

BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Nice man, thanks for posting. I ran there back in April and it rained both days for me too, but just all night and in the morning. We had a dry track for the last 2 sessions of each day. What a bitchen place huh. When we were there there were so many exotics as well, must be nice to have money huh.....I mean a McLaren.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
MTCobra

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Sucks to run that track a little wet. I ran the same weekend Mark did. The first session the line looked generally dry but I still plowed through several corners.

I loved all of the back half of the track...I didn't really care for the never ending esses on the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Hey Travis, yeah that was a lot of fun. I loved the esses. Sure wish i had the power you do, would loved to hit 150 or so down that cool back stretch. Speedventures is going again next year, are you going? That was a once in a lifetime event for me.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
MTCobra

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Circuit of the Americas Video

Nope...I moved to IL. Got the car in the garage under a blanket...LOL. I miss CA weather and race tracks within driving distance.

Baylor...did you get your cooling sorted out or was it just cold enough not to be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:27 AM   #6
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCobra View Post

Baylor...did you get your cooling sorted out or was it just cold enough not to be a problem.
I haven't done anything with cooling yet, but the last few track events I haven't had any issues. COTA the high was in the mid 40s and when I was at Texas World Speedway a few weeks prior the high was in the high 60s. I really don't run into heat issues until high 80s/90s area.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote