Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 02-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #15
clarkkent

Drives: 2013 2SS (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
1st - Polyurethane comes in all different hardness's. We use a Durameter to measure the deflection. The Higher the number the Harder (or stiffer) it is. I do see issues with Higher Durameter Poly Bushings in most cases. Most of those are on Drag Cars that put Super High Loads instantly.

Delrin is a Polymer that has to be CNC Machined to size. It is Solid. I like my Race Cars to be stiff, but as if you do that it adds stress to other components. Also if you run a car super stiff, there is less room for error in your driving!

Now it depends on which Bushings you are looking to change. Some (like the Cradle Bushings) you can go as hard as you want without issues. Diff Bushings if you go Hard, it will transmit a lot of NVH, same with Motor Mounts.
Not to thread jack too much, but for someone who has a stock SS (like me) on FE4 suspension (which I think is me), what would be the most important things to upgrade to road track it?

I've read a ton of threads and I couldn't find a definitive thread like this. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #16
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent View Post
Not to thread jack too much, but for someone who has a stock SS (like me) on FE4 suspension (which I think is me), what would be the most important things to upgrade to road track it?

I've read a ton of threads and I couldn't find a definitive thread like this. Thanks!
Brakes driver wheels n tires. In that order. Can track the stock car pretty safely with a track pad (made for heat) stainless lines and some dot 4 fluid. Drink water eat food have fun.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:20 PM   #17
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Brakes driver wheels n tires. In that order. Can track the stock car pretty safely with a track pad (made for heat) stainless lines and some dot 4 fluid. Drink water eat food have fun.

Exactly what he said. spend at least 50% of your budget on seat time. i have a budget build 2011 1SS. i ran it over 40 days last year. i now have the consistency to tell on the stop watch what a change did. if your doing 4 track days a year, you may spend a bunch of money and now your faster, but, you may or may not have been just that fast because you now have more seat time. you are comfortable and know what to expect. ive been tracking 10 years and have ran a lot the last 3 years. im just now getting there.
seat time seat time seat time.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:26 PM   #18
SPCBA

I like that 50% mark. In your eyes does it include the wearables? I'm at like 98% of my budget on seat time if I count wearables.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #19
JOHNSONROD

not really an exact number. i got a buddy that spends 15 grand on parts on his C5 a year and cheaps out on seat time.
good safety, good tarzz good balance, and good brakes. if it breaks, build it back with better parts. if it aint broke, drive the heck out of it.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #20
SPCBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
not really an exact number. i got a buddy that spends 15 grand on parts on his C5 a year and cheaps out on seat time.
good safety, good tarzz good balance, and good brakes. if it breaks, build it back with better parts. if it aint broke, drive the heck out of it.
I get your not exact number. I agree with your message. I spent money in beginning I had to spend more money to do right or to put back stock. If I slowed down the upgrades and sat in seat more I woulda saved some dough and had a quicker car.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #21
clarkkent

Thanks guys, appreciate the input
Old 02-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #22
JOHNSONROD

yeah. im definitely not saying i know. this is stuff ive learned by making every mistake a dummy can make. i comment on stuff that i have a little experience with and it comes out like a know it all sometimes. im learning but my approach is good. be honest with your results and know that there are really good drivers out there with really fast equipment. short shifting and taking care of the car while hitting my marks makes more since for an amateur on a budget than hitting that rev limiter every shift and buying every mod out there.

Last edited by JOHNSONROD; 02-04-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #23
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I've been a Driving Instructor for years - I'm always amazed that people show up for Track Days and don't think they need an Instuctor.

I don't care how many hours a day you spend on your PlayStation and Forza, it doesn't make you a Pro!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:28 AM   #24
clarkkent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
I've been a Driving Instructor for years - I'm always amazed that people show up for Track Days and don't think they need an Instuctor.

I don't care how many hours a day you spend on your PlayStation and Forza, it doesn't make you a Pro!
But...but...I have a steering wheel and pedal setup for my xbox

haha jk jk
Old 02-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #25
JOHNSONROD

T.C. i tell my students that americans all think they do 3 things really well. take pictures, have sex, and drive. truth is we could all use a little help with all three of them. lol
Old 02-05-2016, 09:44 AM   #26
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
what pads are you guys running for stock ss brembos?
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #27
SPCBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretts View Post
Various racing brake track pads as well as cobalt friction. The cobalts I tried are very aggressive pedal modulation is tougher with these.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #28
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretts View Post
ST47/45 is a great combo for any of the caliper setups. They last very long, never fade, and also are easy on the rotors.

I actually tried Cobalt XR1/XR2 on my 1LE on stock Brembo SS calipers, and that was the only setup that I've ever had brake fade with, despite also having brake ducting. I ended up blaming the calipers and upgrading to StopTech BBK for the fronts, but soon after, another member also had brake fade, again with the XR1s. People love it, but I'd never use them again. FYI, I still keep the XR2s at the rear since rears don't do much work on these cars, and they're quiet.

'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote