Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-23-2023, 09:49 AM   #1
Exoplanet777

Drives: 2010 SS M6
Lightbulb P0172 code

I recently installed new injectors and a fuel rail, I am now getting this code saying it's running to rich. The car is a 2010 SS LS3 with longtube headers, no cats and no mufflers. Still has the stock h-pipe and the 2 small resonators. It was falling on its face alot prior to the new injectors and fuel rail being installed, at one point it threw a code for camshaft position sensor, changed that out and it ran great for a few days then started falling on its face again. Just trying to see if there is anything on my end I can do before taking it to a tuner.

Thank you.
Old 08-23-2023, 12:13 PM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
What injectors?
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 01:45 PM   #3
Exoplanet777

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
What injectors?
Bosch 42lb
Old 08-23-2023, 04:24 PM   #4
gtstorey

Part number and ordered from where? Supposed to be stock replacement?
Old 08-24-2023, 09:53 AM   #5
Exoplanet777

Quote:
Part number and ordered from where? Supposed to be stock replacement?
They are a direct replacement for an LS3.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2023, 10:53 AM   #6
gtstorey

And purchased where? There are a lot of fakes for injectors. Typically adding headers will make the car run leaner and if the only other thing you changed was injectors then I’m doubtful they are the same as stock. Even purchased from a reputable source, I would be worried about anything but GM injectors actually being the same. If non GM injectors, I would only use ones from a very few companies that can supply known good GM format data.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:01 AM   #7
Caveman_SS
Will Cave

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoplanet777 View Post
I recently installed new injectors and a fuel rail, I am now getting this code saying it's running to rich. The car is a 2010 SS LS3 with longtube headers, no cats and no mufflers. Still has the stock h-pipe and the 2 small resonators. It was falling on its face alot prior to the new injectors and fuel rail being installed, at one point it threw a code for camshaft position sensor, changed that out and it ran great for a few days then started falling on its face again. Just trying to see if there is anything on my end I can do before taking it to a tuner.

Thank you.
I had this code and replacing the injectors fixed it for me. Bought a used set of LS7 injectors off of a C6 Vette from a guy on Facebook marketplace and that did the trick. One of my injectors had been leaking. See if you smell fuel in your oil. Sniff the bottom of your oil fill cap. If you smell fuel, then it's possible that one of those injectors is leaking.
Caveman_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:13 AM   #8
Exoplanet777

Quote:
And purchased where? There are a lot of fakes for injectors. Typically adding headers will make the car run leaner and if the only other thing you changed was injectors then I’m doubtful they are the same as stock. Even purchased from a reputable source, I would be worried about anything but GM injectors actually being the same. If non GM injectors, I would only use ones from a very few companies that can supply known good GM format data.
I got them from Amazon from a vendor a buddy of mine swears by. I was hesitant at first till he recommended me his source. Told me he has never had a problem with any injectors he has purchased through them.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:16 AM   #9
Exoplanet777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman_SS View Post
I had this code and replacing the injectors fixed it for me. Bought a used set of LS7 injectors off of a C6 Vette from a guy on Facebook marketplace and that did the trick. One of my injectors had been leaking. See if you smell fuel in your oil. Sniff the bottom of your oil fill cap. If you smell fuel, then it's possible that one of those injectors is leaking.
Thanks for the advice bro, I'll check that when I'm home.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:41 AM   #10
Exoplanet777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman_SS View Post
Did the sniff test and smells like oil, no fuel smell. Talking to a buddy, we are thinking the pump as well is no good. When I poured gas out of the old fuel rail it had a lot of junk in it. The car does have 223,000 miles on it and the pump has never been changed. Here is video of a cold start from this morning, been a few days after install and it starts like this every other morning. Later on in the day it starts up normal.

https://youtu.be/xXJIvLwJyj8?si=yHMNEh_-SBgvvPK1
Old 08-26-2023, 05:38 PM   #11
gtstorey

Not sure how a bad fuel pump would make it run rich. I guess maybe it could but typically it would make it run lean.
Old 08-26-2023, 05:56 PM   #12
SaReNi

Drives: 2012 SS
Here are some of the most common P0172 causes.
Old 08-28-2023, 11:05 AM   #13
Caveman_SS
Will Cave

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoplanet777 View Post
Did the sniff test and smells like oil, no fuel smell. Talking to a buddy, we are thinking the pump as well is no good. When I poured gas out of the old fuel rail it had a lot of junk in it. The car does have 223,000 miles on it and the pump has never been changed. Here is video of a cold start from this morning, been a few days after install and it starts like this every other morning. Later on in the day it starts up normal.

https://youtu.be/xXJIvLwJyj8?si=yHMNEh_-SBgvvPK1
I thought it was cammed until the end of the video
Like someone else said, normally a bad pump will make it run lean. Changing the pump in one of these is kind of a pain unless you cut a hole in beneath the backseat, so I'd try everything else you could before changing that.
Caveman_SS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel injectors, fuel rail, ls3, p0172