Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #281
Richy_Rich
FAVOR

Drives: Many Different Rides
So CHEVY basically merged these 3 concepts...

http://www.netcarshow.com/chevrolet/2010-camaro_ssx_concept/

http://www.netcarshow.com/chevrolet/2008-camaro_ls7_concept/

http://www.netcarshow.com/chevrolet/2008-camaro_gs_racecar_concept/
Old 03-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #282
LWM

Drives: #54 ZL 550 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS,GIF
Time will tell the story! GM did not build this car....without considering the market demand. Very interesting ....to bring the Z 28 out as a track purpose car only.....when so many were expecting a street/track auto. There must be more coming down the line to satisfy the masses!
LWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #283
KSCamaro

Drives: Still Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWM View Post
Time will tell the story! GM did not build this car....without considering the market demand. Very interesting ....to bring the Z 28 out as a track purpose car only.....when so many were expecting a street/track auto. There must be more coming down the line to satisfy the masses!

Wait a few more years. Next up, the Camaro Rally Sport !
I don't mean a RS badge, it'll have big huge RALLY SPORT badges on the car.
Made just for World Rally Championship racing, it'll be AWD, upgraded suspension, but lighter to compete with the MINI, Ford Focus, etc. No A/C, radio, etc but you do get use of a navigator to read maps and tell you where you are for 3 months after purchase. For the low price of 80K, you can try to drive it to work. The only catch is, it wasn't made for asphalt. Good luck.
KSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #284
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
I'm sure this has been said before in the thread, but I'll say it anyway.

As impressed as I am with the Z/28's power, I'm disappointed in how they're pricing it. I'm fine with GM creating a very expensive, minimalist, barely street-legal track superstar Camaro, but let it be a regular production version of their COPO, not a Z/28. That name should be reserved for something designed to go up against the Boss 302, and although the Z/28 certainly achieves that performance-wise, the Boss is a WAY better deal for far more buyers - and is still a dammed fine track machine capable of feats beyond the skill of many buyers of either car.

For all the people on here who are hardcore believers in sticking to the heritage of the Camaro like it's Holy Writ, I'm surprised how the glare of a mighty LS7 has blinded them to the part of that heritage where the Z/28 was supposed to be a great track/enthusiast car as well as halfway affordable, and even sort of livable as a daily driver. This Z/28 does one of those things very well, but the others very poorly. I'm sure GM could have figured out a way to get the others in there too while keeping the price around $50k - again, competitive with the Boss - but they didn't, and it's a shame.

I also fear that having the Z/28 as top-dog will interfere with upgrading the ZL1 to keep up with the GT500 as Ford inevitably upgrades that.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #285
35th02ss

Drives: 02 SS
Look people this is getting just plan stupid....The Z/28 is not competing against the ZL1 for sales. That would be like saying the SS is competing against the V-6 cars....

Plan and simple stop bitching about the cost. I can't afford one either and I'm not complaining. Would I like to have one dam right.

If you cant find a car to drive in the current line up then you need to look somewhere else. Maybe Honda or Toyota makes a nice car for you...

I mean come on.

My 8 month old son whines less then you people........
35th02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #286
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
if it was me, I would have not done the 1LE and instead had the z28 replace that option with the same equipment plus a ls7... make it a $7-10k option like the Laguna Seca Boss and there's your superior answer to the Mustang...
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #287
35th02ss

Drives: 02 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
if it was me, I would have not done the 1LE and instead had the z28 replace that option with the same equipment plus a ls7... make it a $7-10k option like the Laguna Seca Boss and there's your superior answer to the Mustang...
It would be more like 20k option. The LS7 is 15K then add the 3-4k for the 1LE package. Which puts it in the ZL1 price range
35th02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #288
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 221SS1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
After reading a few posts - I simply came here to respond to a couple of them because I realized that too many people don't understand what the original intent of the Z/28 really was.......:

go back and read the history of WHY the Z28 was introduced in the first place.

Don't 'guess' and don't try to 'interpret' - because some of us were actually around back then! (I didn't mean that as a shot -- but.......)

Tidbit: the 1967 Z28 didn't have Z28 anywhere on the car - it was simply an option code (RPO) that essentially said: "This is the car we're building to compete in SCCA's Trans Am racing series. All others beware!" It was not meant to be a daily driver - and this new Z/28 is not meant to be a daily driver. it will "separate the men from the boys" so to speak....... If you want comfort -- this is not the car for you.....

We stayed true to the original intent. Want a stereo radio? Go buy a ZL1 or a
1LE or an SS and make mods.

The Z/28 is essentially a race car.

Sorry that some of you don't like that.....but we have to make hard decisions and I stand behind this Z/28 'til the cows come home.

I don't like to be this abrupt - but I'm operating on very little sleep - it's been a long week -- and frankly my patience is running a bit thin with people who don't understand what a Z/28 really is meant to be........

(....oh - and for those of you who are nay-sayers? I wish you could have heard the remarks about the new Z/28 - people at the unveil were blown away.......)
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #289
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th02ss View Post
It would be more like 20k option. The LS7 is 15K then add the 3-4k for the 1LE package. Which puts it in the ZL1 price range
you're referring to catalog pricing which doesn't reflect factory pricing..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #290
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th02ss View Post
so you'd rather them make a car that is more expensive than the ZL1?
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #291
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
I'm sure this has been said before in the thread, but I'll say it anyway.

As impressed as I am with the Z/28's power, I'm disappointed in how they're pricing it. I'm fine with GM creating a very expensive, minimalist, barely street-legal track superstar Camaro, but let it be a regular production version of their COPO, not a Z/28. That name should be reserved for something designed to go up against the Boss 302, and although the Z/28 certainly achieves that performance-wise, the Boss is a WAY better deal for far more buyers - and is still a dammed fine track machine capable of feats beyond the skill of many buyers of either car.

For all the people on here who are hardcore believers in sticking to the heritage of the Camaro like it's Holy Writ, I'm surprised how the glare of a mighty LS7 has blinded them to the part of that heritage where the Z/28 was supposed to be a great track/enthusiast car as well as halfway affordable, and even sort of livable as a daily driver. This Z/28 does one of those things very well, but the others very poorly. I'm sure GM could have figured out a way to get the others in there too while keeping the price around $50k - again, competitive with the Boss - but they didn't, and it's a shame.

I also fear that having the Z/28 as top-dog will interfere with upgrading the ZL1 to keep up with the GT500 as Ford inevitably upgrades that.
buy the 1LE
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #292
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
If everyone finds something else to play with, Chevy would be out of business...
What I mean is if that is not the toy for you find another toy....
Chevy has plenty of toys in its toy box to play with. You don't have to go anywhere else....
Old 03-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #293
Stingray23

Drives: 2012 Ford SVT Raptor
So lets break it down. You basically have 2 schools of thought.
-the guys that know and understand what the Z/28 badge REALLY means and the ones that just want a badge. The beauty is that there is a camaro for everyone! I think the new Z/28 is perfect. I dont get caught up on badges like a lot here. The point of the Z/28 badge was racing, not showing off. Its the guys that never had a real Z/28 or understand the history of the Z/28 that are bitching because they just want to say they have a Z/28 like they did in high school.
For all the complainers/posers, you can still buy the Z/28 badge at your local Chevy dealer and put it all over your car if it will make you feel "cool"
Stingray23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #294
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray23 View Post
For all the complainers/posers, you can still buy the Z/28 badge at your local Chevy dealer and put it all over your car if it will make you feel "cool"