Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 12-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Turbo Oil Feed

For any of those with the STS turbo kit or their own kits, how easy was it to tap into the oil pressure sensor under the filter for the turbo oil feed? How did you tap into the oil sensor? I was building a supercharger setup but I'm also interested building a custom turbo setup as well.
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Pt_killa

For the sts guys that did their own install did you have to take the oil pressure gauge plug out and insert a t fitting? If so, do you know the type of screw and did they provide another way to capture the oil pressure? I'm trying to build a kit and want as much help as I can get from the community.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
For the sts guys that did their own install did you have to take the oil pressure gauge plug out and insert a t fitting? If so, do you know the type of screw and did they provide another way to capture the oil pressure? I'm trying to build a kit and want as much help as I can get from the community.
Just saw this. Can you provide a little more detail of what you are doing and why? I don't have the STS, but I don't see a reason to remove the existing plug unless you are going with an aftermarket gauge. If you are asking how to supply oil to the turbos, I think everyone is tapping the oil pan and then using a scavenger pump.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
Z Madness

Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Quote:
I have the STS kit, they provided a T fitting. I do not know the sizes however, maybe someone else kept that info? Mine was sent as a separate item directly from another vendor but unfortunately, I did not keep any of that info. Oil pressure is still captured for your stock gauges (I have the 4 gauge cluster I installed). That is how the oil is being supplied (fed) to the Turbo (singular for us STS guys). The scavenger pump and oil return is being dumped back into the oil fill. A few of us is relocating it the oil return directly into the pan. I'm not sure what Gretchen is doing.
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Pt_killa

Z,
Do you have any pictures of where the oil feed line T's in? Also why are some of you sts guys returning the oil to the pan instead of the stock oil return location? I know the scavenge pump that I bought from turbowerx is powerful enough to return the oil directly into the pan using the oil drain plug. I was going to return into the oil fill but now that you mention that guys are returning directly to the pan I may go the same route if your encountering issues.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Z Madness

I can try and get a picture but its just a t into the sensor fitting. What are you looking for? I believe somebody posted the compelete STS instruction manual in another post so you might find a picture there.

Regarding the re-routing, under high boost, I started to get excessive blowby. In looking at the design, you have the oil returing in the oil feed and a vent on the same valve cover (the distance is not that far apart). It seems under 5 psi, this is not an issue but at higher boost, oil is being forced out of the vent. Also, with most forced induction, you have much higher pressure in the motor which makes it harder for the oil to find its way down to the pan so a direct return into the pan should be better, at least IMHO. I know my friends at Unrestricted Motorsports was planning to do the same thing on their Comp6 Camaro.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
unrestrictedmotorsports

Drives: 2011 Comp 6 Turbo
Quote:
Z,
Do you have any pictures of where the oil feed line T's in? Also why are some of you sts guys returning the oil to the pan instead of the stock oil return location? I know the scavenge pump that I bought from turbowerx is powerful enough to return the oil directly into the pan using the oil drain plug. I was going to return into the oil fill but now that you mention that guys are returning directly to the pan I may go the same route if your encountering issues.
I would return the oil into the bottom of the pan. You need to return it above the oil levels. You will have issues otherwise. Now the pump that you bought may be able to do it but in my opinion to force oil threw the plug location and into the bottom of the pan would not be my recommadation. You would be better off letting go into the fill cap like it comes from STS.
unrestrictedmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
The excess blow-by is common as the kit does not come with a proper system to ensure crankcase evacuation at both non boost & boost operation.

It is a simple fix if you want details just ask & I'll go over the problem and the solution.

As far as the oil feed, yes, you do want pressurized oil feeding the turbo(s) and a scavenger pump will ensure the oil pressure does not blow through the turbo seals. They should have included a restrictor to control the amount of oil feeding it.

The return can be to the oil pan or the valve cover, but again, without a proper crankcase evac system there will be excess pressure issues. This is not just w/STS but ANY turbo or front mount SC system that pressurizes the intake manifold

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:24 AM   #9
Z Madness

ill be ordering my catch can soon!
Old 12-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
Pt_killa

So, SC, installing a FI catch can will eliminate the excessive blowby issues and I would be able to run the oil return to the oil fill at any psi?
Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
Pt_killa

Just for an FYI and one up for DIYer's and to close the thread, the turbo oil feed that goes into the oil pressure sensor on the oil filter uses a -6an straigh cut o-ring fitting or the equivalent sae fitting. The stock sensor is removed by using a 27mm deepwell socket!
Old 11-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #12
Jabeyta21

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Just for an FYI and one up for DIYer's and to close the thread, the turbo oil feed that goes into the oil pressure sensor on the oil filter uses a -6an straigh cut o-ring fitting or the equivalent sae fitting. The stock sensor is removed by using a 27mm deepwell socket!
I really hate to bring up such an old thread n i hope your still around! But that -6an fitting you spoke of, did that eliminate your oil pressure sensor and did you relocate it? Im trying to find a T fitting that can go in the sensors location and that way i can plug my sensor and my turbo oil feed into the T fitting from there. Thanks if you can help me out!
Jabeyta21 is offline   Reply With Quote