Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-22-2019, 06:53 PM   #57
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
The one thing I really liked about the '69 restyling was the front grill, especially on the non RS models. They V'eed in the front grill insert more than the front end. Then, you have the single round headlights on pods that stuck out a bit from the grill background. This made the front end look a lot more aggressive than the '67-'68's. More like a race car.

However, the squared off wheel wells combined with flattened front and rear fender tops made it look slightly more square and upright looking.

It's too bad GM wasn't able to design a more fastback shape to the green house on the 1st gens. I do know the designers really wanted to have something like that especially after the fastback Mustangs came out in mid '65.

When the '69''s came out, the squared off wheel wells and the flattened fenders reduced the visual rake of the rear window and made the car look more upright and formal. OTOH, the new "floating" vinyl top that the '69's had looked great thought. In fact, I prefer the '69's that have the vinyl top option better than the bare roof versions.

Overall, I think the '69-'70 Mustang was/is the perfect fastback shape. Not too little like the first gen F-bodys and not too radical like the later "flatback"' 71-'73 Mustangs.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #58
CHRISCAM

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2SS/1LE
The '69 I owned was Cortez Silver with a black vinyl top and black interior. It was actually pretty sharp-looking. It had the factory black grille option too, which I think made it look better with the silver paint. It was a basic 350/350 auto car, with buckets & console. No AC. Had original CA black plates too, which is actually pretty hard to come by on Camaros & Mustangs in particular, in view of how many times most of those cars changed hands since the '60s!

My '13 has much more power and turns and stops much better too, though!

I think if money were no object, I'd buy a professionally restored black '67-'68 SS 396 L78 (or maybe with a 427), with an M22 4-speed. Maybe with a red interior, but white would be cooler for SoCal heat.

Second choice would be a '70 'Cuda with 440-6 pack and 4-speed, maybe also black, but I like the In Violet color too (which was the Plymouth version of Plum Crazy on Dodge models).

Third, I would go for a '13 ZL1 with 6 speed in Black.

So, all things considered, I think my '13 1LE isn't far behind in this list.
CHRISCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #59
Shan

Drives: 2013 ls Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISCAM View Post
The '69 I owned was Cortez Silver with a black vinyl top and black interior. It was actually pretty sharp-looking. It had the factory black grille option too, which I think made it look better with the silver paint. It was a basic 350/350 auto car, with buckets & console. No AC. Had original CA black plates too, which is actually pretty hard to come by on Camaros & Mustangs in particular, in view of how many times most of those cars changed hands since the '60s!

My '13 has much more power and turns and stops much better too, though!

I think if money were no object, I'd buy a professionally restored black '67-'68 SS 396 L78 (or maybe with a 427), with an M22 4-speed. Maybe with a red interior, but white would be cooler for SoCal heat.

Second choice would be a '70 'Cuda with 440-6 pack and 4-speed, maybe also black, but I like the In Violet color too (which was the Plymouth version of Plum Crazy on Dodge models).

Third, I would go for a '13 ZL1 with 6 speed in Black.

So, all things considered, I think my '13 1LE isn't far behind in this list.

I’m in Long Beach 🏖 what part of so cal you from? 2013 ls
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:19 PM   #60
Shan

Drives: 2013 ls Camaro
Why did they change the lights on the 14 model as in taillights
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote