Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #29
SNV

Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
Ok, everyone, I just finished washing the car with Dish Soap (twice), claying the car with Mothers Clay Bar and Mother's detailer spray. The spray needed to be buffed off by hand as it did become cloudy and cake onto the paint.

Paint was smooth, I did use the sandwich bag test. All smooth as glass. Then I used "Liquid Glass" sealant again, as my friend had excellent results with this sealant.

Think this will last me 6 months as advertised? I did NOT spray the hardened wax down with detail spray before buffing off, as there is no need. this stuff comes off easily.
I always like Liquid Glass. I liked Liquid Crystal even more years ago.
Really sounds like you not having much luck. I know my IBM color is rough to keep clean too. I'm not a detail guy but was wondering after you clay barred it using the detail spray, Did you wash it again or put the polish right over the detail spay? Some things you can layer while others you can't. Right now I have a coat of Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0. It's the Liquid not the paste. Finish looks great.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #30
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Yeah Junkman. I know. You've spoken to me a bit before, and you did an excellent job explaining to me why you have to do all or nothing.

(For what it's worth, Liquid glass is per oz more expensive than adam's buttery wax. Just some trivia there.)

Junkman, i ask you this because you are the god of detailing.

Why does this wax work perfectly on my friend's Mazda 6? I can't even begin to tell you how gorgeous his car looks. You know that thread you made recently, where you detailed someones black camaro for him?
Well, not that good but... reasonably close to it.

2 men wax the same car with the same product the same day and one car stays waxy, and one does not??? At least tell me this is strange!
Not strange at all. Here's why.

You are talking about 2 different cars which have not been exposed to the same exact conditions. Thus, the paint on both cars is not in the same exact condition. This will cause whatever you use on the paint to perform in two different ways if the paint was not properly prepped. Also, you don't clay a car and then go straight to wax. That's like filling a dent with bondo and then going straight to paint. There's a very important step between the two and it is called primer (actually, there are a couple of steps but for simplicity...). As I say in every thread where someone uses wax and thinks that their paint is going to shine, you ain't going to remotely get the shine that I can get with polishing. You don't go from clay directly to wax without polishing. Wax does not make paint shine, polishing does. The end.

If you want to make your paint shine, you have got to polish it. Here are two different cars, exposed to two different elements. One is mine and gets exposed to all four seasons in Kentucky. The other is a friend's car, lives in southern California and is used as a track car. They are both the same color but I fixed the paint on both of them. Notice how good, two totally different cars with two totally different exposures can look when the paint on both cars is properly fixed. Neither car has wax on it.

My car:

... and my friend's car:

Notice he has California plates and the Pacific ocean. That's definitely not my car or Kentucky..

Now look at what his paint looked like before I fixed it:

See the difference in the shine between the two sides? I have polished all of the damage out of the paint on one half of the halo. If you don't think that all those swirls affect how your shine looks, you are mistaken. It has everything to do with how light is reflected off the car. It is either concentrated (as you see on my car), or scattered as you see on a swirled up car.

Here's his halo fixed:

It's easy to see how much better perfect paint looks compared to swirled up paint. If you want your paint to look like mine, you have to do to it what I did. You don't have to use exactly what I used but your technique has to be correct and what you use has to be of the same caliber or better than what I used. There's multiple products out there that will take you to Shinville but you ain't getting there without going through Polishville. You can fight it all you want but like I say in my videos,

"Yo' shine ain't gonna be nothing like my shine."

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #31
SNV

Junkman2008 - I have always loved your knowledge and information that you have shared with us all. I guess the OP along with a few of us just find it hard to understand why our new cars seem to need so much more work to keep the shine there. It seems like years ago the new cars seemed to hold the shine better. I remember my 1975 Olds (was 20 years old then) cleaned up better and held a shine better then most of the new cars I have owned. I know times and paints have changed. We would have hoped they were for the better. Over the past 15 years my wife and I have owned around 10 new cars (yeah we get bored with them lol). It seems like my 1 year old Camaro needs a lot more effort to keep it looking great. Seems to be the biggest complaint people have with their Camaros has been the paint.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #32
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Well let's face it. The technology in the advancement of automotive paint has changed but as far as being better is concerned, that can be debated. It has definitely improved in the area of safety, something that I wish my father could have benefited from before he passed with his lungs destroyed from the paint fumes. But let's face it, a car coming out of a factory today is painted by robots. A robot takes no pride in what it paints and it is only going to use the amount of paint dictated by the manufacturer. The manufacturers are using as little paint and clear coat as necessary to get the job done in order to squeeze a buck. So although one would think that technology has made things better, that can be debated and the advantage would probably not be to us, the consumer.

Shiny paint is a way of life, not a miracle in a bottle. You can almost look at shiny paint as what it takes to land the perfect wife. You can't just walk up and bonk her on the head and expect her to accept your ring. There's gonna be some work involved.

Now if she's into S&M....

Old 10-21-2010, 11:59 PM   #33
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
I just want to take a moment and say it's tragic to hear that about your dad.

Back on,
Which Adam's bundle would you tell me to buy if I don't care for shineville, I just want cleanville more than anything else.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:52 AM   #34
SNV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Well let's face it. The technology in the advancement of automotive paint has changed but as far as being better is concerned, that can be debated. It has definitely improved in the area of safety, something that I wish my father could have benefited from before he passed with his lungs destroyed from the paint fumes. But let's face it, a car coming out of a factory today is painted by robots. A robot takes no pride in what it paints and it is only going to use the amount of paint dictated by the manufacturer. The manufacturers are using as little paint and clear coat as necessary to get the job done in order to squeeze a buck. So although one would think that technology has made things better, that can be debated and the advantage would probably not be to us, the consumer.

Shiny paint is a way of life, not a miracle in a bottle. You can almost look at shiny paint as what it takes to land the perfect wife. You can't just walk up and bonk her on the head and expect her to accept your ring. There's gonna be some work involved.

Now if she's into S&M....
Sad to hear about your dad. I know from a health point paints are better then they were. I work for International / Interlux Paints for around 12 years. We made paints from everything from boats to oil tankers, coal tar, bridge paints, and so on. The stuff put into them was really bad. Around 30% of our stuff could not be sold in the US. I remember in a 5 month span 8 people had heart attacks. My wife would smell the chemicals on me still over the weekends. She begged me to leave that place. Our paints change a lot over the years with all the new laws. Most of the paints before the changes lasted a lot longer. So I understand where your coming from. I think besides the paint the clear coat isn't what it once was.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:23 AM   #35
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Me and my friend work at the same place! The car has been rained on but no sprinkler heads.

When I use Dish soap, how much do I use? And also, should I mix it with car shampoo?

Will one wash be enough? Do I have to SCRUB? or just run the sponge over the paint?
cover it every time it rains!..you really shouldn't drive your camaro in the rain!
it's not meant to be driven in the RAIN!..just sunny days!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:06 AM   #36
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
cover it every time it rains!..you really shouldn't drive your camaro in the rain!
it's not meant to be driven in the RAIN!..just sunny days!
BAH. Drive that thing. Rain or shine, enjoy the car.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:06 AM   #37
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
I just want to take a moment and say it's tragic to hear that about your dad.

Back on,
Which Adam's bundle would you tell me to buy if I don't care for shineville, I just want cleanville more than anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNV View Post
Sad to hear about your dad. I know from a health point paints are better then they were. I work for International / Interlux Paints for around 12 years. We made paints from everything from boats to oil tankers, coal tar, bridge paints, and so on. The stuff put into them was really bad. Around 30% of our stuff could not be sold in the US. I remember in a 5 month span 8 people had heart attacks. My wife would smell the chemicals on me still over the weekends. She begged me to leave that place. Our paints change a lot over the years with all the new laws. Most of the paints before the changes lasted a lot longer. So I understand where your coming from. I think besides the paint the clear coat isn't what it once was.
Thanks guys. He tried his best to teach me how to do paint & body work but luckily, I was too lazy to learn. It's a double edged sword, however, because I have to pay someone else to do body work on my car. It doesn't look like I'll be learning in this lifetime but I do plan to learn how to do touch=up paint work using a airbrush gun. It's a growing business.

As far as getting to Cleanville, that's a tough one. I only know how to do this one way, and any other way is either doing it wrong or half stepping. If you just want to get to Cleanville, then the way you're doing it is the way you should do it. The trade off is the results that you are getting. It is just the nature of the beast. The hardest thing for me to do is cut corners. I just can't fathom doing it that way. Thus, I'm probably the worst person to ask how to cut corners. I suck at cutting corners!

Old 10-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #38
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
Wow Junkman. So from what you're telling me, if I don't polish I will get my car covered in filth and water spots.

You've sold me.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #39
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Wow Junkman. So from what you're telling me, if I don't polish I will get my car covered in filth and water spots.

You've sold me.
Actually, it is the proper wax that is going to protect your paint from that. Polishing is going to remove that damage. Claying is going to setup your paint so that those water spots can't take hold and stick like glue.

I wanted to make a video of this and I probably will but here's what I did. I let it rain on my car. Then, I parked in the garage and let the water dry. I came out the next morning, pulled the car directly into the sun and wet the entire car down again. I then allowed the water to dry in direct sunlight. For the next week, I didn't wash the car. I wanted those water spots to set in stone. After one week I then washed the car. Not one water spot stuck, not even on the windows (which I had treated some time ago with the Adam's glass sealant). I have no water treatment system in my house and my water comes straight from the tap. So why didn't the water spots take hold?

It must be what I do to maintain my paint. That's the only thing that I can think of because I did everything I could to make those water spots stick. I even drove the car 3 hours south of my city and parked it in a public parking lot, right next to some sprinklers. Guess what, they came on and doused the car. By the time I got back to the car, it was covered in water spots. At the DIY car wash 10 minutes later, all of the water spots came off with no effort.

I have no special paint on my car. How does it repel water spots like that? It must be something I use. You know what I use so that's no secret. You know how I use it so that's no secret. If you do exactly as I do, one would believe that you will experience the same results that I have experienced. The decision to do so is up to you, Neo. I can only open the door. You have to walk through it.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:46 AM   #40
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I know kung-fu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Actually, it is the proper wax that is going to protect your paint from that. Polishing is going to remove that damage. Claying is going to setup your paint so that those water spots can't take hold and stick like glue.

I wanted to make a video of this and I probably will but here's what I did. I let it rain on my car. Then, I parked in the garage and let the water dry. I came out the next morning, pulled the car directly into the sun and wet the entire car down again. I then allowed the water to dry in direct sunlight. For the next week, I didn't wash the car. I wanted those water spots to set in stone. After one week I then washed the car. Not one water spot stuck, not even on the windows (which I had treated some time ago with the Adam's glass sealant). I have no water treatment system in my house and my water comes straight from the tap. So why didn't the water spots take hold?

It must be what I do to maintain my paint. That's the only thing that I can think of because I did everything I could to make those water spots stick. I even drove the car 3 hours south of my city and parked it in a public parking lot, right next to some sprinklers. Guess what, they came on and doused the car. By the time I got back to the car, it was covered in water spots. At the DIY car wash 10 minutes later, all of the water spots came off with no effort.

I have no special paint on my car. How does it repel water spots like that? It must be something I use. You know what I use so that's no secret. You know how I use it so that's no secret. If you do exactly as I do, one would believe that you will experience the same results that I have experienced. The decision to do so is up to you, Neo. I can only open the door. You have to walk through it.

Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #41
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
I know kung-fu

Old 10-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #42
Chrisrp454

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6, 98Z28 M6