Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #15
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Okay Chris i say get the rear all blacked out, it will give it that sinister look when people drive up on you!! Paint it on don't use vinyl!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #16
Vengeance Graphix

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED DEMON SS View Post
Okay Chris i say get the rear all blacked out, it will give it that sinister look when people drive up on you!! Paint it on don't use vinyl!
Tim that was my next thing planned! Im going with vinyl for now just incase I get tired of it (doubt I will but I change my mind at times). If I end up really liking it paint would be the next step
Old 02-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #17
Tribute

Drives: 2012 SLP ZL770 #17 (Hugger Orange)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xVengeancex28 View Post
Tim that was my next thing planned! Im going with vinyl for now just incase I get tired of it (doubt I will but I change my mind at times). If I end up really liking it paint would be the next step
Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #18
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
Looks awesome Chris!!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #19
Vengeance Graphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizlstik View Post
Looks awesome Chris!!
Thanks Kevin, slowly coming together
Old 02-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #20
Vengeance Graphix

Update:
Did this a few weeks ago and forgot to include this. Found numerous scratches and marks on the car I had to correct. Pretty much a novice at correcting paint but id say I did a really good job with it.

This what my write up on it

I probably should have done a video but i think pictures work just as good. After I corrected my paint couple of days ago a few people asked if i could show the process..

Heres a look at how it works. Im not a pro at any kind of body work so for me to get the paint corrected this well means that anyone can do this.

I had a scratch that went right across the top of the wheel well by the hood. Note: all the scratches ive fixed where from either sitting on the dealers lot of from the previous owner since i purchased this used.

You first want to clean the area well, getting all the dirt and grime off before you start the wet sand process.

Next you take pad #1 which is the most coarse and spray the lubricant spray on both the pad and the area you are going to wet sand.

Its recommended that after 30 passes you should stop and wipe off the spray to see what it looks like after the first pass with #1. If its still pretty deep you can re spray and go for another 30 passes. Also make sure to not press hard on the paint, you need some to very little pressure when moving the pad back and fourth. This is what mine looked like after 30 passes with pad #1, 3x

Next you will follow to pad #2 which is a finer grade wet sand. Again like pad #1, you will spray both the area and pad before you start attacking the area.

Next you move the pad #3 and repeat the process and use and even finer pad

Lastly, you use the last grade pad #4 which is the finest of them all and repeat.

As you can see, after using all 4 pads the scratch has went from looking really deep to almost flush with the paint/clear coat. The paint is going to look dull and scratched up pretty good but thats where the next step comes in.

After sanding you want to use a paint clarifying compound, such as the one that was supplied in the turtlewax scratch kit i used.

You want to then shake it up well and then apply some to a micro fiber towel. In my case i didnt need alot on this one area but if you have a larger area that you sanded down you will want to use more.

Apply it over the area and then use some elbow grease and really work the compound into the paint for about a minute. You will need to do this step a few times depending on how much you sanded the surface but it does bring back the shine to the car.

As you can see here the scratch is completely gone and looks like it was never even there. I cant even find where it was on the car anymore because it fixed it up really well.

Heres another angle of it

Hope this helps anyone who might have any kind of scratches or marks that they might want to try fixing themselves. I got the kit online from autobarn for about 13$ and received it within 3 days time. Im sure any local auto part place will have something similar or the same product since its made by turtle wax.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #21
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
you did a great job on that scratch. I would never have taken sand paper to my paint....I would let someone else professionally do it and I couldn't be there to watch.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #22
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
looks awesome! i love the seats...i wish mine were like those aside from all black. keep it up!!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Great build man! I was hoping you would start a build thread.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #24
Vengeance Graphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
you did a great job on that scratch. I would never have taken sand paper to my paint....I would let someone else professionally do it and I couldn't be there to watch.
Thanks!, yeah i normally dont get to involved in doing automotive paint correction since im not a pro, but ive seen plenty of videos on youtube of others who have done the same thing and made me feel a little more confortable about taking sandpaper to the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
looks awesome! i love the seats...i wish mine were like those aside from all black. keep it up!!
Thanks! i love the IOM/black combo seats. My old 2lt/rs was black/grey and as much as i like it.. it was a pain to keep clean since you could always see the dirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Great build man! I was hoping you would start a build thread.
Thanks man!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
ZoMBiE_KMF
Camaro Club of NM

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, Sold: [COTW 2/20/12]
Awesome start. That CGM looked awesome. Glad you got to upgrade, I had wanted to do the same but I've gone too far in mods that there's no turning back. haha. I'll be watching this thread.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #26
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Great write up Chris for folks who don't know how to do this, maybe more people will get into all phases of working on their car including paint correction!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #27
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Good looking Car! You had me worried when I saw the pics of you going to put sandpaper on your car! I was saying to myself, no, oh no! But it turned out really good! Good job!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #28
Vengeance Graphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoMBiE_KMF View Post
Awesome start. That CGM looked awesome. Glad you got to upgrade, I had wanted to do the same but I've gone too far in mods that there's no turning back. haha. I'll be watching this thread.
Thanks! Yeah I was really liking my look of the CGM. Luckily I wasn't to deep into mods, mainly it was minor cosmetic. I think if I was engine deep I wouldn't have made the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk