Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
my thoughts on interior

Ok, before you go hating me for trying to start another flame war, let me first say that I insist this thread be closed the instant that happens.

Now, that being said, I simply want to state that I took a ride up to my area Nissan dealership to look at a few 370Z's they had. This may belong in the "other vehicles" thread, but I don't think so, because this ultimately is about the Camaro, so I'm posting here. Anyway, I didn't get to drive the Z, but I sat in a couple, one Touring model (with leather) and one Sport model (no leather, but upgraded brakes and a spoiler). As I sat there, I'll admit I was impressed overall with the interior. The steering wheel felt nice, as did most of the panels and armrests. I felt the soft-touch dash (as well as one in an Altima for comparison) and it was nice. The seats hugged me a little too tightly, which definitely reminded me that this is a Japanese car. Now I did all this as a comparison because of everyone's comments on the Camaro's interior, and I realized- 1) I haven't really paid much attention to many vehicle interiors and 2) I wanted to see what the competition's interiors were like. Anyway, I said all that to say, as I felt the dash and the materials, I realized, I don't care if the dash is plastic. I hope it's not quite as hard and lifeless as my Cobalt's, but the truth is I don't ever really touch the dash, which was one of my first thoughts as I sat in the Z. And it made think, "you know, if the Camaro were to cost an extra $500 to $1,000 by having this interior, I'm so thankful to GM for saving me the money". Now, I know some of you will disagree, but these are just my thoughts. On top of that, the interior isn't too small, but the exterior of the Z just does very little for me, but the Camaro is just gorgeous! Also, even if it's small, I like having a back seat...

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
Ok, before you go hating me for trying to start another flame war, let me first say that I insist this thread be closed the instant that happens.

Now, that being said, I simply want to state that I took a ride up to my area Nissan dealership to look at a few 370Z's they had. This may belong in the "other vehicles" thread, but I don't think so, because this ultimately is about the Camaro, so I'm posting here. Anyway, I didn't get to drive the Z, but I sat in a couple, one Touring model (with leather) and one Sport model (no leather, but upgraded brakes and a spoiler). As I sat there, I'll admit I was impressed overall with the interior. The steering wheel felt nice, as did most of the panels and armrests. I felt the soft-touch dash (as well as one in an Altima for comparison) and it was nice. The seats hugged me a little too tightly, which definitely reminded me that this is a Japanese car. Now I did all this as a comparison because of everyone's comments on the Camaro's interior, and I realized- 1) I haven't really paid much attention to many vehicle interiors and 2) I wanted to see what the competition's interiors were like. Anyway, I said all that to say, as I felt the dash and the materials, I realized, I don't care if the dash is plastic. I hope it's not quite as hard and lifeless as my Cobalt's, but the truth is I don't ever really touch the dash, which was one of my first thoughts as I sat in the Z. And it made think, "you know, if the Camaro were to cost an extra $500 to $1,000 by having this interior, I'm so thankful to GM for saving me the money". Now, I know some of you will disagree, but these are just my thoughts. On top of that, the interior isn't too small, but the exterior of the Z just does very little for me, but the Camaro is just gorgeous! Also, even if it's small, I like having a back seat...
to the not caring about touching the dash, and to the 370Z's exterior... I don't get the hype... that is one ugly car.
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
A care about the dash, but I don't care as much about how "soft" it is. If the texture is better than my Cobalt's, and the plastic is sturdier, and it doesn't rattle (my Cobalt doesn't, so lets keep that up) then I'm fine with it. If it feels like the Mazda3's plastics, I'm good!

Now I wouldn't mind a real brushed aluminum panel or something similar to spice up the interior. I do think that is one area the Mustang has the advantage. The black expanse needs to be broken up, and the dark cubicle wall cloth isn't exactly what I was looking for.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
KoTToN

Drives: 2005 SilveradoSS AWD
good reveiw and I also agree about the dash. Caring if your dash is soft or not makes about as much sense as this guy did in rookie of the year making hot ice!

KoTToN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
DarrenJ

Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
If you think you can do better than GM and like that sort of thing, take it to a custom shop and get it done. I'm happy with what GM/Chevrolet gives me for a fair price, shoot, I feel like I'm getting a bargin!
DarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
A care about the dash, but I don't care as much about how "soft" it is. If the texture is better than my Cobalt's, and the plastic is sturdier, and it doesn't rattle (my Cobalt doesn't, so lets keep that up) then I'm fine with it. If it feels like the Mazda3's plastics, I'm good!

Now I wouldn't mind a real brushed aluminum panel or something similar to spice up the interior. I do think that is one area the Mustang has the advantage. The black expanse needs to be broken up, and the dark cubicle wall cloth isn't exactly what I was looking for.
Gotta agree, soft touch or whatever is nice for the parts you actually touch but I don't drive or ride around feeling up the dash. I do think a few dollars of brushed aluminum or somesuch would be nice though.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
The black expanse needs to be broken up, and the dark cubicle wall cloth isn't exactly what I was looking for.

Good point, and it is why I chose the beige/black two tone, IMO it really breaks up that black expanse.
Dakota Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
I think the whole interior thing comes down to did you expect a Lexus interior at a Camaro price? As long as it does not make noise and everything works well, i"m good.

If you compare it to the Challenger/Charger it looks much more up to date and if you like the mustangs more you need to look deeper like IRS, HP and a million other little things.
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
What's up, Optimus? Keepin' the streets safe for all us....ahem....law abiding citizens? On subject, I'm getting rid of an '06 350Z with a, at best, slightly nicer interior for the SS, and like you, I'm not concerned about it at all. If that space was my family's livingroom, I might pass, but....well.... Now, would I prefer a different, better interior....again, what's the point now?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Good review. I haven't had a Camaro get within 500 miles of where I live s o I can't comment, but if it's an improvement above my '02, I'm sure I'll be pretty happy.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
I forget which rag it was, but it's said although the dash is plastic it's as good as plastic gets.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #12
Douge
Eurotrash Connossieur

Drives: 1985 Mercedes 500SEL
I am recovering mine in Octopus hide so I don't give a feck.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #13
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
I forget which rag it was, but it's said although the dash is plastic it's as good as plastic gets.
That was either Cars.com or Popular Mechanics. Those were the two most favorable reviews I think.

For people saying you never touch the dash, well I do. I sit in stop and go (mainly stop) for two hours a day. There are only so many songs on the radio, and in Los Angeles out of 100 music stations, 10 are English speaking. I have nothing else to do but poke around randomly. My commute sucks. Still, for anything I touch but don't grip/rest on, texture is more important than softness.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #14
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
In the end it's not about Camaro enthusiats who care. It's about the magazines and those who read them. If you guys don't realize that, I'm sorry but the reviews slot of them commented on the interior plastics and not in a positive light. So for those who don't bleed GM OR CAMARO they will take the magazines as gospel and will not look past it. Sometimes we have to look beyond our little community here and realize that the general public does and that is what contributes to the unwarrented perception GM has.