Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Bob Lutz, and Scott Settlemire on fuel economy.

Good afternoon, Camaro Comrades and Firebird Friends!

Greetings from the Los Angeles international Auto Show -- (where, by the way, the Orange Camaro Concept Convertible is still causing quite a stir........)

I've always been proud to be a part of the General Motors Family -- from the time my uncle signed his first Sales and Service Agreement to become a Chevy Dealer -- to the day my father signed a similar agreement; ............from the day over 30 years ago that I went to work for Chevrolet Motor Division -- to days like this.

And while there have been times it's been kinda hard to keep that pride, -- there are days like January 9, 2006 (the day we unveiled the new Camaro) -- or days like today -- when our Vice Chairman, Bob Lutz, made some introductions and **significant** announcements that have a major impact in the automotive world --

..............and days like these make it all worth while and make me so very proud................

Yes, there will be a few that 'pooh-pooh' what you read below -- but I know that you are all GM Enthusiasts -- and you probably want to know that GM is a leader in fuel economy AND fuel solutions -- and we intend to be that leader from here on out.............

There are also a few things he has doesn't mention in his blog below -- one being "Project Driveway" where we'll be putting over 100 Equinox Fuel Cell Vehicles on the road in New York, Los Angeles, and Washington DC over the next few months. The only emissions from the tailpipe? Water vapor! Then there's the Volt Concept which we've committed to building. Imagine a car that can be driven up to 40 miles each day that will never burn a drop of gas! Yet -- if you want to drive it across this great nation of ours, a small on-board engine will recharge the battery........

Naturally, as Camaro Enthusiasts, we're all just bursting at the seams to see (and drive and hopefully buy) the new Camaro. Trust me: If you liked the concept, you will LOVE the production model! It's a jaw-dropper!

Yes -- there have been times where it's been hard for you to be a GM enthusiast -- but we hope that today gives you another reason to stay with us.

In closing: I can never say this enough: THANK YOU -- for your continued enthusiasm for the Camaro and Firebird -- and for your continued support of General Motors. We're blessed to have you as our customer!

See you on the road!

Scott

From Mr. Lutz;

One year ago, Rick Wagoner was the keynote speaker at the 2006 LA Auto Show, and he took the opportunity to share the strategies and plans we have at General Motors for taking the leadership role in addressing the environmental issues surrounding the automobile.

He also made some promises. Promises that managed to raise a few eyebrows, and quite frankly, keep everyone on our product development team very, very busy over these last 12 months.

Well today those promises are on the way to becoming reality. We are working hard to make history, to transform the industry and transportation as we know it.

One of Rick’s key points was that there is no silver bullet. There is no 100-mile-per-gallon carburetor or other secret solution that will solve all our energy and environmental problems overnight.

But we can make a difference – a BIG difference – by working the challenges from many different angles at the same time.

Regardless of the fuel, regardless of the technology, our goal remains the same – the best possible fuel economy for whichever type of vehicle our customers choose.

That’s why we offer more cars that get 30 mpg or better on the highway than any other automaker. That’s why we offer some of the most fuel-efficient full-size pickups and SUVs on the market. That’s why we have more than 2.5 million vehicles on the road today that can run on E-85 ethanol… with a lot more coming.

And that’s why we’re introducing four more hybrids in the U.S. this year. In fact, counting the new Saturn Aura Green Line, we’re introducing 16 hybrids in the next four years – one every three months.

That includes the industry’s first “two-mode” hybrid SUVs, which we’re building right now. They get up to 50 percent better city fuel economy than their gasoline-only counterparts. And, they get about the same city mileage as the conventional Camry and Accord four-cylinder models!

We’ve said time and time again, we want to be part of the solution to society’s energy issues… as a matter of energy efficiency, as a matter of national security, and as a matter of environmental responsibility. We’re committed.

At GM, we believe that no one solution is right for every part of the world, or even every consumer in any given market. So our approach is simple: offer as many choices as possible, to as many consumers as possible.

And while we’ll be offering these various solutions through all of our many brands, the best way to have the largest possible impact is through the broad portfolio of our high volume global brand, Chevrolet.

It’s our intent to establish Chevrolet as the worldwide fuel solutions leader – the undisputed environmental and technology leader in the industry.

We will not achieve that by selling one highly efficient environmental icon – although we’ve got one of those in the works too. We will achieve that by striving for fuel economy leadership in all the segments that Chevrolet competes, from the smallest passenger cars to the largest trucks.

So stay tuned for further developments on Chevrolet’s emergence as the industry’s fuel efficiency leader, and GM’s intention to seize (and keep) technology leadership in this industry.

Bob
__________________________________________________ ____________
Doesn't it make you glad that the Camaro is a Chevrolet?

"We will achieve that by striving for fuel economy leadership in all the segments that Chevrolet competes, from the smallest passenger cars to the largest trucks."
Old 11-15-2007, 01:10 AM   #2
swazworth
the nerd king

Drives: 2005 scion xb...
swazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:13 AM   #3
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
That is fantastic. I like the dig at Toyota and its Prius at the end there. I also love the amazing frankness with which Bob and Scott speak. They just don't BS us, and that is one of the best things about being a Chevy fan. I love how Scott openly admits that at times it has been hard to be a GM fan. He and Bob admit there have been screwups along the way. With the new Malibu, they admitted the whole time that they had a lot to make up for, and the new Malibu is an honest attempt to do just that. No more apologies, they are just going to make an honest-to-goodness good car. With the Volt, Bob candidly admitted that it needed dramatic restyling because putting it in a wind tunnel was, to use his exact words "depressing" and that it might have been better if they put it in backwards. So when they tell us that we're gonna love our new Camaro, and that Chevy is going to be doing great things for fuel economy, then I really, really feel that I can believe them. Thank you Bob and Scott.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
There has to be someone around that can sneak into GM HQ and get us some pics of this.

Naturally, as Camaro Enthusiasts, we're all just bursting at the seams to see (and drive and hopefully buy) the new Camaro. Trust me: If you liked the concept, you will LOVE the production model! It's a jaw-dropper!
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
That would be amazing if Chevy can have the most efficient vehicle in every class. Its too bad that they need to redesign the skin of the volt because that means the camaro will have aerodynamics that are nearly as bad since they have such a similar shape and style. it looks cool, but that will take a bit off performance and economy. Well you can't win them all. Then again, cars like the Camaro are supposed to use the brute force method of going fast
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham

I actually think the front surface area of the Camaro is much smaller than that of the Volt's...can't say anything for sure, but it just sems that way to me.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I feels so good to be reassured every once in a while directly from Mr. Lutz and Scott.
Good Post

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
stovt001

Well we already have video of the concept Camaro in the wind tunnel and it looked good, so I'd say that we don't have much to worry about there. And I don't mind the restyle of the Volt, as I never much cared for the looks anyway.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:16 AM   #9
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:37 AM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Hybrid Camaro. Electricity on HWY...raw, gas burning, heart pounding HP on accelleration.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:13 AM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

I can only imagine how many hardcore power-junkies would be apalled at a hybrid Camaro...

however, I like the idea 100%!
Old 11-16-2007, 09:24 AM   #12
stovt001

If the hybrid Camaro was done like the hybrid Lexus where it actually increases power, cool. However, the weight gain would probably be enough to negate the power edge, not to mention the adverse effects on handling.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
A 300 hp V6 + 75kW electric motor = 400 hp and between 500-600 lb-ft of torque. And the torque of the electric is at its max at the lowest rpm range, droping off as it gets faster. As far as handling, the batteries can be aranged to provide perfect weight distribution. It will wieght the car down by about 400 lbs based on looking at the pruis vs other small cars. But by doubling the torque it will more than make up for a bit of heft. That will hurt it in the turns, unless the electric motor drives the front wheels directly rather than the drive shaft going ot the rear. All in all, a performance hybrid could turn out well for the Camaro. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it, but it is possible and would beat the hell out of a prius in the quarter!
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #14
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I can only imagine how many hardcore power-junkies would be apalled at a hybrid Camaro...

however, I like the idea 100%!
I care about the image of the Camaro. But, I care more about using ZERO gas while driving at hwy speeds. Could you imagine driving your 500hp Camaro on the HWY knowing that you are running off of electricity alone...saving tons o' gas? And then, when braking, it recharges. When you take off from the light, it switches back to a hearty exhaust note and that engine revs to redline as your tires spin ferociously.

That would be awesome. It would still have all the power and sound of a high hp tire shredding musclecar. But, it would have an electric side that could run to save on gasoline. I'd take that.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote