Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-03-2015, 09:08 PM   #57
rozay

Drives: camaro 2LS LFX A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.curt View Post
I know this is not a close up with the sun shining just right to see the imperfections, but I don't care who you are, you have to admit it looks good.
Great job

Sent from Galaxy Note 4
Old 01-03-2015, 09:25 PM   #58
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
I really want some new rims. I don't like the way these look from a distance. The car does look funny being super clean with dirty rims lol.

I felt the exact same way after I finished my paint. I thought my rims were "clean" until I clayed them. Really made a big difference.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:39 PM   #59
j.curt

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
How long can I expect my car to look this good? How ofter should I wash.
j.curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:05 PM   #60
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
I would highly recommend you invest in a "Incredimitt" and a "Dry Me Crazy" from Microfiber Madness for washing/drying. Along with using a detail spray as a drying aid, I haven't induced any new scratches using them. They aren't cheap but you definitely get what you pay for with these.

I would wash it when you think it's dirty, double park it wherever you can, and keep a good coat of your favorite LSP on it.

Don't drive it in the rain or snow unless you absolutely have to.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #61
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Mmmm... Depends... Dirt/dust sitting on the paint isn't going to do any real harm unless it's touched (someone walks by at the supermarket, daughter places her hand on the car, etc.). So don't think you have to wash it every day to keep swirls away, although I know black is unforgiving with showing every speck of dust.

I personally wash my car every 4-5 days or so, schedule permitting. I'm lucky enough to live in AZ where car washing doesn't depend on the weather.

As for "looking good", I would say an average of semi-annual to annual polishing is what most find themselves at. You may be on the more semi-annual because of the color of your car.

And as I said earlier, this all depends on your washing techniques going forward. (Two bucket grit guard wash, quality wash media, quality microfiber. Not using detail spray when car is heavily soiled, etc.)
Old 01-03-2015, 11:17 PM   #62
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
I would highly recommend you invest in a "Incredimitt" and a "Dry Me Crazy" from Microfiber Madness for washing/drying. Along with using a detail spray as a drying aid, I haven't induced any new scratches using them. They aren't cheap but you definitely get what you pay for with these.

I would wash it when you think it's dirty, double park it wherever you can, and keep a good coat of your favorite LSP on it.

Don't drive it in the rain or snow unless you absolutely have to.
The products he mentioned are awesome and well worth the investment. I have had two Dry Me Crazy's and the incredimitt for over a year now (2 because I wash my car often and do laundry less often), and they are still working great.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #63
rozay

Hybrid v07 quick detailer + sealant the best I've used especially with blacklight glaze does wonders

Sent from Galaxy Note 4
Old 01-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #64
rozay

Once I'm done 2 step polishing knightryder (cars name ) I will post some pics up. I'm polishing 1 to 2 panels a day if I got the chance because doing it all at once is not possible for me. If anyone is curious I wash my car by the Gary Dean method. I live in an apartment complex

Sent from Galaxy Note 4
Old 01-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #65
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Quote:
Need some more advice....There is tons of pollen/dust year round where I live. I can buff and polish my car in the evening and by morning the car is covered and doesn't look like it has been cleaned in weeks. I have been taking a microfiber towel and wiping it down but I am guessing that isn't the best thing to do.
Get a California Duster. They cost around $15.00, and are available anywhere you buy your automotive products (even Wal-Mart sells them!). If your car is waxed well (which yours IS!) pollen will dust right off. Some people don't use them because they're afraid of causing scratches by rubbing the dust around but I haven't had any problems - I don't rub the duster against the paint, I just lightly drag the strands along the paint without applying pressure, like in the picture below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #66
rozay

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
Get a California Duster. They cost around $15.00, and are available anywhere you buy your automotive products (even Wal-Mart sells them!). If your car is waxed well (which yours IS!) pollen will dust right off. Some people don't use them because they're afraid of causing scratches by rubbing the dust around but I haven't had any problems - I don't rub the duster against the paint, I just lightly drag the strands along the paint without applying pressure, like in the picture below.

I wouldn't use it but that's just me

Sent from Galaxy Note 4