Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-09-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Just found out what really is SCCA solo racing.

We all know who thinks this racing is real world results, and touts every time the Mustang beats the Camaro. So I did so research on what type of racing, this so called benchmark is. Now to me racing is against others on the same track at the same time, and that is what I thought it was. But all the Solo racing is, a cone course in a parking lot by yourself against the clock. Most laps are less then a minute, and your best two laps are your time. They don't even get out of 2nd gear. How can anyone believe that this race series is real world results. Not saying this isn't a bad way to race, but to say this is better then road racing or mag lap times is hysterical. Racing against the clock for a one minute spurt IMHO isn't really racing in what I consider racing. I hope I got it right for Solo, but if not, whoops.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
amerhash28

Drives: camaros in his dreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss/r's View Post
We all know who thinks this racing is real world results, and touts every time the Mustang beats the Camaro. So I did so research on what type of racing, this so called benchmark is. Now to me racing is against others on the same track at the same time, and that is what I thought it was. But all the Solo racing is, a cone course in a parking lot by yourself against the clock. Most laps are less then a minute, and your best two laps are your time. They don't even get out of 2nd gear. How can anyone believe that this race series is real world results. Not saying this isn't a bad way to race, but to say this is better then road racing or mag lap times is hysterical.
well they are more dependable in the eyes of thePill

Bro just don't waste your time trying to find out what thePill is talking about;he is a clown and he knows that better than any of us
amerhash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
to be fair; car v car at the same time is more of a measure of driver skill rather than true performance
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:07 AM   #4
13vertss

There's no doubt this type takes skill, but the cars are not being used to the full potential at all. Almost reminds me of my drivers ed course in 83.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:03 AM   #5
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Why are you folks utterly obsessed with thePill?

Seriously, all you're doing is inflating his ego with threads like this. Plus it just looks pathetic that a very small group of people are so focused on him that it's all you talk about.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:37 AM   #6
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post

Seriously, all you're doing is inflating his ego with threads like this. Plus it just looks pathetic that a very small group of people are so focused on him that it's all you talk about.
Did you ever hear a parent say "they are not laughing with you, they are laughing at you"? Hi Pill

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 09-10-2015 at 07:36 AM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:02 AM   #7
13vertss

Quote:

Just trying to get a idea of what his infatuation is with Solo racing.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #8
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Quote:

Because it is funny.

However, I wonder why you are so utterly obsessed with people being utterly obsessed with thepill!
Old 09-10-2015, 10:21 PM   #9
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss/r's View Post
There's no doubt this type takes skill, but the cars are not being used to the full potential at all. Almost reminds me of my drivers ed course in 83.
While the cars may be able to go faster on a larger track they are being used to their full potential (and then some) for Autocrossing. Its really a great Motorsport and pretty much anyone can participate. They even have a handicapping system in place so you can compare your times against other drivers in different classes. Here is a video of one of my runs from what I think was my second event ever. I kept it in second and the fastest speed was maybe 60 on the uphill stretch at the start of the video but it will test your skill and the car to the max. You should see what some of the guys there are capable of with their cars, its really impressive.

It is however complete nonsense to use SCCA autocross as some method to measure two cars against each other. Instrumented testing while controlling for as many factors as possible is the only way. With Autocross you have different drivers on different courses and the cars are usually prepared differently because even stock classes have a fairly long list of legal modifications. Plus if you hit a cone its a 2 second penalty, is that the fault of the car or the driver?

Car and Drivers Lightning Lap is about the best method of comparing a large number of cars together as we are likely to ever see. It would be next to impossible to gather as many vehicles as they have over the years for a same day/same driver comparison and they control for enough variables that you can say within a certain window of error that the times are accurate. Anyone that says otherwise is trying to avoid a conclusion they don't want to admit to.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #10
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting46 View Post
to be fair; car v car at the same time is more of a measure of driver skill rather than true performance
THIS! It is even more amplified on a road course. Unless it is the same driver on the same day on the same course the "comparison" is moot. All it means is one driver is better than the other. Other wise the below video of me in my ZL1 proves the GT500 is complete Garbage. I make up over ten seconds in less than a mile...

https://youtu.be/hLadOQqATHc?t=2m1s
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #11
13vertss

I really doubt when GM was talking about how great the 1le is on the track, that they were thinking about cars going around cones in a parking lot in one minute laps topped out in 2nd gear. This type of racing looks to be more driving skill then anything. Just look at some of the lap times from the same driver. He best to worst can be 10 sec difference, so is that the car or the driver?
Old 09-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #12
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
Because it is funny.

However, I wonder why you are so utterly obsessed with people being utterly obsessed with thepill!
No kidding.... He acts like he is his PR agent or something?(bc Im sure he has need for one of those, too..)

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #13
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
many people disappeared from forums now that we have the Gen6 specs ...
Old 09-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #14
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
many people disappeared from forums now that we have the Gen6 specs ...
Funny how that works, huh?

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote