Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
Yellow Threads on seats

It bugs me that the seat threads/stitching is white. My cell phone photos kind of suck so ... also I have a bit more cleanup to do on the after photo but you get the idea. Takes 30 mins per seat.

Before:

During.
Application of water-based acrylic paint (like used on canvas paints):

After:

Just mix a little paint with a little water, apply with a brush in back and forth motions to get into the deep areas where the stitching goes into the seat. Do 24" or so, then wipe with a damp cloth, then dry cloth.
2SS/RS Transformers Special Edition: Quick Time Performance Electric Cutouts, Custom Exterior Sound Effects (Transforming) by remote or button, Yellow autobot on windshield, Darkened tail and marker lights, Yellow fogs and signals (more yellow for signals), Dash Ambient Lighting, Black Painted Suitcase Mufflers, Autobot bowties and steering wheel, yellow leather stitching, yellow SS symbol on headrests, blacked out back trunk lid, blacked out brake light trim.
Pics of my 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Wow, great job!

Any idea of time frame till it fades?
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Interesting & Very cool! Will it come off with sweat or any thing like that and get all over your clothes?
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

I would think once it sets it will be permenant. This is the artist paint and that doesn't tend to rub off the canvas when they're cured.. so who knows. I think it takes 24 hours to cure so you have that long to wipe it off your vinyl but I wouldn't let it sit too long.

-- I have done the entire car in about 1.5 hours. I did a few small spots a week ago to make sure it was going to look good and it does. It's subtle but the yellow, once you have done all the thread, looks fantastic. It's not as vibrant as yellow stitching would've been but GM didn't offer that option to us and I don't have $1000 for new seats. This works.

Anyway, like I said, it's subtle but taking it all in once it's all done, it looks good. There are a few spots here and there that you can see paint in the seam but I will get that out with a toothpick later.

All in all, I spent $5 on this modification.

Paint is from Michaels.
2SS/RS Transformers Special Edition: Quick Time Performance Electric Cutouts, Custom Exterior Sound Effects (Transforming) by remote or button, Yellow autobot on windshield, Darkened tail and marker lights, Yellow fogs and signals (more yellow for signals), Dash Ambient Lighting, Black Painted Suitcase Mufflers, Autobot bowties and steering wheel, yellow leather stitching, yellow SS symbol on headrests, blacked out back trunk lid, blacked out brake light trim.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

oh, also, this is great for yellow but I don't know if i'd try it with blue or anything else. Maybe orange since they're not too far from white as it is. -- the water added to the paint 50/50 is to help the stitching soak up the paint and makes it bead up a bit on the vinyl.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
camarorick

Drives: .
That is freaking awesome

Please let us know what's the name of this paint..... Oh, and more pics please
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

More photos here...

Paint is Grumbacher, Golden Yellow artists watercolor.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
bluecamaroguy

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS ABM!
How come you wouldn't try it with blue?
bluecamaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrek View Post
More photos here...

I personally think you did a great job. I like to see how it stands up over time. I will keep an eye on it since I wanted to do this to my C6 seats.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

The way the paint took to the stitching, there are still tiny little white spots randomly throughout the length. Not real noticable, mostly I think because yellow is close to white and there's not a lot of contrast. If you did it with blue I would say add more than 50% water to the paint and do several coats to build up the color.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

I missed a spot of cleanup on the vinyl and it wiped right off this morning with water.

Also, anywhere you smear paint, comes right off with a touch of body cleaning clay.

A braver soul might use oil based paint or acrylic like I'd planned to but I chickened out and used water based so it COULD be removed if needed. I supposed this means it will come off slightly with sweat but I can't see it as a real problem.

At worst I may have to redo it in a year or two. Stay tuned! I'll update as needed... but if you plan on tackling this, I highly recommend water based paint like this or if you decide on oil, get a fine paintbrush.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:04 PM   #12
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
that IS cool !
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
pretty cool, I think i'd be scared to try mine though..
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
MrGood

Drives: Broken palmghetto test car
Send a message via Yahoo to MrGood
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrek View Post
More photos here...

Those pics look great!
MrGood is offline   Reply With Quote