Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-17-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
SlowTurtle

Drives: camaro turtle
WTB: A Better CAI (MFRs get in here)

I want a better CAI. There is nothing on the market currently that meets the needs of any car with a 102tb. a 4" CAI is SMALLER then the id of the throttle body. Lets go ahead and establish that.

I have a LG Velocity CAI right now. I have it for two reasons:
1: The velocity stack and 6" inlet is the best design of any CAI on the market
2: The tube is rotatable, placing the MAF in any orientation. Since I have an aftermarket intake, this is necessary.

The issues with the LG I have, and every other CAI on the market

1: Size. 4" tubing is too small for maximum flow.

2: The elbow (if silicone) - a 4" silicone elbow stretches to an oblong/odd shape when put over a 102tb. Why? Because it's too small.

3: The elbow (If a one piece tube metal or plastic) With a blower or aftermarket intake a solid molded tube or pre-bent metal intake tube will not fit properly and MAF cant be clocked)

The solution:

1: Produce a 106-112mm intake, similar to what you see on a corvette, or a jlt late mustang intake (110mm), for example... IE bigger then 4"/100mm. This will produce superior results, every time. Especially for high strung motors, or supercharged stuff.

2: Either make the end a silicone elbow so the tube can be rotated as needed, or provide provisions to put the MAF slot in more then one position for those that need it

3: The ideal intake would be a tapered velocity stack (like the LG intake, just larger dia) or bulged tube, with a 4.125-4.25" molded end, or with a 4.125-4.25" silicone elbow, which fits over a 102mm without being stretched/deformed out of shape.

There is free power to be had, yet there are 20+ companies all making an inferior design. I don't get it.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Can't someone have a custom fabbed one? But I like that Idea.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowTurtle View Post
I want a better CAI. There is nothing on the market currently that meets the needs of any car with a 102tb. a 4" CAI is SMALLER then the id of the throttle body. Lets go ahead and establish that.

I have a LG Velocity CAI right now. I have it for two reasons:
1: The velocity stack and 6" inlet is the best design of any CAI on the market
2: The tube is rotatable, placing the MAF in any orientation. Since I have an aftermarket intake, this is necessary.

The issues with the LG I have, and every other CAI on the market

1: Size. 4" tubing is too small for maximum flow.

2: The elbow (if silicone) - a 4" silicone elbow stretches to an oblong/odd shape when put over a 102tb. Why? Because it's too small.

3: The elbow (If a one piece tube metal or plastic) With a blower or aftermarket intake a solid molded tube or pre-bent metal intake tube will not fit properly and MAF cant be clocked)

The solution:

1: Produce a 106-112mm intake, similar to what you see on a corvette, or a jlt late mustang intake (110mm), for example... IE bigger then 4"/100mm. This will produce superior results, every time. Especially for high strung motors, or supercharged stuff.

2: Either make the end a silicone elbow so the tube can be rotated as needed, or provide provisions to put the MAF slot in more then one position for those that need it

3: The ideal intake would be a tapered velocity stack (like the LG intake, just larger dia) or bulged tube, with a 4.125-4.25" molded end, or with a 4.125-4.25" silicone elbow, which fits over a 102mm without being stretched/deformed out of shape.

There is free power to be had, yet there are 20+ companies all making an inferior design. I don't get it.
I see your point... However, I would venture to guess that roughly 99% of the 5th gen Camaro owners out there do not have the need for such an intake that you request. No manufacturer wants to make an intake so suit 1% of the potential customers out there.

Aside from that, I disagree with your claim above that I have noted in red above. How much air flow do you think you need? There is plenty more airflow to be had from a 4" ID tube, however nothing currently available on the market has taken full advantage of it.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:02 AM   #4
SlowTurtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I see your point... However, I would venture to guess that roughly 99% of the 5th gen Camaro owners out there do not have the need for such an intake that you request. No manufacturer wants to make an intake so suit 1% of the potential customers out there.

Aside from that, I disagree with your claim above that I have noted in red above. How much air flow do you think you need? There is plenty more airflow to be had from a 4" ID tube, however nothing currently available on the market has taken full advantage of it.
Tubing is sold by OD.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:10 AM   #5
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Tubing is sold by OD.
Silicone tube is typically sold by the ID... Most metal tube intakes are 3.87" ID... There is STILL more to be had regardless... Maybe we're not on the same page
Old 01-18-2014, 02:13 AM   #6
SlowTurtle

Silicone elbows aren't truly round, especially when stretched. a 4"ID silicone elbow is not 4" round throughout the bend, thus the need for a larger elbow.

The metal pipe, obviously, undersized.

The key point you're missing is that the larger cai will always make equal or better power, even on cars that wouldn't fully utilize it. Why spend $600 on a 102mm tb when a 98mm or smaller feed tube is going to hinder the majority of your tb size increase (yes, the tb blade takes up some csa)
Old 01-18-2014, 02:37 AM   #7
Jason@JacFab

I understand your thinking... But getting back to 99% of the people that the manufacturers are trying to sell to... You can't have a "106-112mm" intake tube without getting a tune to rescale the MAF readings, and most people the manufacturers are trying to sell to, do not want to void their factory warranty by getting a tune just to see the maximum potential from their extra large cold air intake tube.

On cars that don't want to "fully utilize it"... It's probably going to make things worse...

Maybe the answer to your question is best answered with another question: "Why buy a 102mm TB when there isn't a cold air intake large enough to properly utilize all of it's power?"
Old 01-18-2014, 02:58 AM   #8
SlowTurtle

There are plenty of companies that make go fast parts for people who want to go fast. There is a large market for this if somebody would produce it.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:16 AM   #9
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
There are plenty of companies that make go fast parts for people who want to go fast. There is a large market for this if somebody would produce it.
I think if there was a large market for it, someone would produce it... However, there are roughly (very rough) 75,000 new Camaros sold every month... Of which, most manufactures want to sell to.

It's really all based on simple math.

Want something special? Buy a New Era intake or something, those are seen few and far between on new cars.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:23 AM   #10
SlowTurtle

If you have nothing constructive to add, please exit the thread. Clearly this is all lost on you.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:18 AM   #11
11TexaSS

Drives: 2011RedJewel, FI
11TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #12
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
I don't see where a larger diameter intake would hurt even on a stock setup. I have a 447 build going for a c6z that even with a halltech, or callaway honker, still picks up over 25 hp on the engine dyno with an open TB.

If there was a larger diameter, Id buy it. Id buy several and we would use them on all our 5th gen builds!
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #13
SlowTurtle

my next project is to shroud a halltech mf107 to fit.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #14
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
http://www.sfxperformance.com/catalo...nch/page_1.htm
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote