Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
paulsandhu

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Road Paint Removal

Looking for tips on how to remove road paint from my car. Its on along the sideskirt and wheel well, as well a bit of back quarter panel.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Current Modifications:
  • Hurst Comp HardDrive Stick Kit
  • K&N Blackhawk CAI
  • Anvil Carbon Fiber Notch Spoiler
  • Ceramic Coated Satin Black Wrap
paulsandhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Try carnauba wax first. Clay and polish after that
Old 10-04-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
paulsandhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
Try carnauba wax first. Clay and polish after that
Thanks, I'll try that.

Current Modifications:
  • K&N Blackhawk CAI
Old 10-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
Hippy
Hotwheels

Drives: Hotwheels Edition
Send a message via Skype™ to Hippy
Gas removes this kind of paint, tar too

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2018, 06:02 PM   #5
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
Try WD40. Does wonders.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Use detailing clay, it will remove the paint splatter. You can buy a Meguiars or Mothers clay kit at Wal-Mart, or one of your local auto parts stores for around $20. I personally like the clay that comes with the Meguiars kit better.

If you have never used clay before, this video will tell you everything you need to know about it.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
denboy1

Drives: 2014 2ss Convertible
My wife got a lot on her jeep but I had treated it with guard n gloss earlier. It really didn't stick well.
denboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #8
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I would try a liquid solution before claying, and I'm a body man. Always test in a spot you can't see like the bottom, but things like Goo Gone, mineral spirits, enamel reducer, WD40, etc. will likely remove it faster with no damage. Clay is an abrasive, albeit a mild one, along with all the trash it picks up that no doubt lodged itself in the wet road paint.

Last edited by chef-beavis; 10-05-2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Typo
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #9
nickbettschen

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS Convertible
ive used gas before too
nickbettschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #10
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
I would try a liquid solution before claying, and I'm a body man. Always test in a spot you can't see like the bottom, but things like Goo Gone, mineral spirits, enamel reducer, WD40, etc. will likely remove it faster with no damage. Clay is an abrasive, albeit a mild one, along with all the trash it picks up that night doubt lodged itself in the wet road paint.

Yeah, don't listen to a guy with 35 years of detailing experience, he doesn't know what he is talking about. Instead use something that will "likely" remove it faster.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #11
chef-beavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Yeah, don't listen to a guy with 35 years of detailing experience, he doesn't know what he is talking about. Instead use something that will "likely" remove it faster.
Meant no disrespect, Joe. Sent people after your advice many times. Guy asked the forum, not just Joe. I simply answered what I would do to my own car. You want to rub around clay with a bunch of road grime in it, go for it.

See? I can be a wise acre, too.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #12
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
Meant no disrespect, Joe. Sent people after your advice many times. Guy asked the forum, not just Joe. I simply answered what I would do to my own car. You want to rub around clay with a bunch of road grime in it, go for it.

See? I can be a wise acre, too.
I never said to rub around road grime with clay, I said if the OP didn't know how to use clay.... the video will explain it, and it does say in the video to wash the car first.

It also explains that the protection on the paint (wax/sealant) will be removed, which is also kind of important.

You put some chemical on your car and wipe it down while it's dirty to remove an unwanted bonded substance, than suggest that clay is too abrasive?

OK then....all right. Maybe the detailing world should discontinue clay and clay alternatives, and just wipe it down with Goo Gone.

Oh by the way, Goo Gone is basically citrus oil, and will leave a TON of residue on the paint. Good luck getting fresh wax/sealant to bond to that.

I'm not trying to be an arse, I'm trying to be logical. Regardless of what you use...... your going to have to wash the car first. Then remove the overspray.

Using clay there is no need to rewash the car, using a chemical which contains oils and leaves residue on the surface will require a second cleaning before new protection can be applied. Not to mention that some of these chemicals can/will damage clear coat if left on too long, or applied to a hot surface.

Claying is a safe sure fire way to remove overspray. That's why professional detailers recommend it. I've done it several times myself for other people, never had an issue once.

I realize I'm not smarter than someone who has 35 years of detailing experience, even though I have been doing it myself off and on for 30 years.

So show me a video with some proof that any one of these chemicals does a better/safer job than clay. If it did......don't you think detailing professionals would be using it?

Old 10-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #13
paulsandhu

Thanks for all the tips guys. I am going to try them tomorrow. I'm embarrassed this has been on the car for over almost 2 months. I hope its not too late.

Current Modifications:
  • K&N Blackhawk CAI
Old 10-06-2018, 12:45 AM   #14
chef-beavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
I never said to rub around road grime with clay, I said if the OP didn't know how to use clay.... the video will explain it, and it does say in the video to wash the car first.

It also explains that the protection on the paint (wax/sealant) will be removed, which is also kind of important.

You put some chemical on your car and wipe it down while it's dirty to remove an unwanted bonded substance, than suggest that clay is too abrasive?

OK then....all right. Maybe the detailing world should discontinue clay and clay alternatives, and just wipe it down with Goo Gone.

Oh by the way, Goo Gone is basically citrus oil, and will leave a TON of residue on the paint. Good luck getting fresh wax/sealant to bond to that.

I'm not trying to be an arse, I'm trying to be logical. Regardless of what you use...... your going to have to wash the car first. Then remove the overspray.

Using clay there is no need to rewash the car, using a chemical which contains oils and leaves residue on the surface will require a second cleaning before new protection can be applied. Not to mention that some of these chemicals can/will damage clear coat if left on too long, or applied to a hot surface.

Claying is a safe sure fire way to remove overspray. That's why professional detailers recommend it. I've done it several times myself for other people, never had an issue once.

I realize I'm not smarter than someone who has 35 years of detailing experience, even though I have been doing it myself off and on for 30 years.

So show me a video with some proof that any one of these chemicals does a better/safer job than clay. If it did......don't you think detailing professionals would be using it?
I think as a general rule, pro detailers haven't tried half the stuff I have in my 30 years experience because they don't have the skills or equipment to fix it if they blow it. Clay may be safe, but for that mess, in my experience, it's not the most efficient. Most modern finishes can be wiped with acetone, but I obviously wouldn't start there or tell a novice to. Some of these road stripe colors get glass chips sprinkled on them for reflectivity. Start rubbing that with clay. Back n forth. Back n forth. Painters get paid to paint.

I would think any method to remove that will involve a pre and post cleaning, several more during, and re-application of wax.

The rest is up to how long you wanna scrub and how much you want to drag the crap across your paint. I'll take a few soft cloths and gently wipe it away with a mild solvent, thanks.

Good luck OP.

Good luck to you, too, Joe.