Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-01-2019, 05:21 PM   #1
stickwiggler13

Drives: 2012 2SS Convertible
Clutch fluid replacement

Hey guys, I have a 2012 2ss manual. The owners manual says to change clutch fluid every 2 years. Dealer wants like $280 to change it.
Sounds like an expensive proposition every couple years.

I do like to follow the owners manual schedule.
Does anyone follow the 2 year schedule.

Thanks!
stickwiggler13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:33 PM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Just follow this,,,http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

good luck!

PEACE
Old 07-02-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
I replace mine every other month when I'm drag racing the car. It's the single biggest thing you can do to keep the clutch working the way it should. So many people have trouble with the sticking pedal, poor disengagement, etc - and so often it's related to the fluid being dirty, roasted, and maybe even containing air from being boiled.

There are a few things you can do to make your clutch hydraulic maintenance life easier.

#1 - remote reservoir. The 04-06 GTO reservoir works really well, and helps get your clutch fluid separated from your brake fluid. It makes doing partial fluid exchanges simple - you can suck out the fluid in the reservoir, and then add fresh fluid. By doing this every couple of weeks (in the absence of being able to do a total fluid exchange - see point #2) you can slowly turn old gross fluid into much better looking fluid.

#2 - remote speed bleeder. If you have to pull the trans out for ANY REASON, do yourself a solid and install a remove bleeder. You're welcome. If you've ever had to bleed the clutch before you know why - it's not fun to get at the bleeder up in the bell housing, you need two people, and ideally a lift. With a remote speed bleeder you can bleed the clutch (and do full fluid exchanges) all by yourself.

Also - if the trans is coming out replace the crappy plastic throw out bearing support in the slave with a billet steel aftermarket solution. These are prone to melting down, causing all sorts of problems including failure to disengage clutch, and complete destruction of the slave cylinder itself.

#3 - use a quality fluid. Not all brake fluids are created equal, even within their DOT rating level. I have found that Motul RFB600 (a DOT4) is extremely good quality and heat resistant. I recommend this fluid, or another high quality fluid like it - don't just grab the cheap stuff off the shelf at AutoZone.

#4 - this isn't specific to the fluid, but you can really improve the feel of the clutch by ditching the factory return/assist spring and going with either no spring, or a linear return spring. The factory spring actually helps hold the clutch down to the floor when depressed as a driver comfort item, and then it doubles as a return spring - but all it really does as far as I can tell is make the clutch travel feel very odd and less easy to modulate. GM says don't remove it, but many of us have with no ill effects. Apparently the master cylinder transfer port (that circulates the fluid to the reservoir) only opens at the extreme top of the master cylinder throw - so the return spring ensures that port gets open when the clutch is at rest. Fluid pressure would normally open that enough (as many guys run with no spring and no problem) but if you're like me you want to be sure - so you can add a cheapo spring from Home Depot's hardware section to make sure the pedal always has a light pull to be fully up.

Probably more than you bargained for on information there - I've done a lot to try to make my clutch work better than it used to (and it does), so I'm passing on what I've learned.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
stickwiggler13

Drives: 2012 2SS Convertible
Thanks so much Fellas. This is great information!
stickwiggler13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Never fully changed mine...just siphen the reservoir every so often. Of course, I only have 32k on it.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:36 PM   #6
pzero

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #968 Silver Ice M
Great post. Thanks for the info.
pzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:56 AM   #7
Black 6.2L SS

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, LS3, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
Just follow this,,,http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

good luck!

PEACE
Wow - I just read that write up and these posts. Awesome information and much needed motivation to give my clutch fluid some TLC. Looks like I’m going to be buying some super DOT 4 real soon. Thanks!

I wish I could get my clutch fluid reservoir separated from my brake fluid. I’m not really sure how to install one of those kits. Maybe GEN 5 DIY has some instructions?
Black 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:20 AM   #8
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black 6.2L SS View Post
Wow - I just read that write up and these posts. Awesome information and much needed motivation to give my clutch fluid some TLC. Looks like I’m going to be buying some super DOT 4 real soon. Thanks!

I wish I could get my clutch fluid reservoir separated from my brake fluid. I’m not really sure how to install one of those kits. Maybe GEN 5 DIY has some instructions?
It's extremely simple. There are a few different mounting options - the GEN 5 DIY kit has the nice bracket that mounts right to the brake fluid reservoir. They supply all the needed hoses and hardware - and they have instructions right on their website. It's a worthwhile modification for sure.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:15 AM   #9
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
It's extremely simple. There are a few different mounting options - the GEN 5 DIY kit has the nice bracket that mounts right to the brake fluid reservoir. They supply all the needed hoses and hardware - and they have instructions right on their website. It's a worthwhile modification for sure.
I'm pretty sure that this is the kit I used. Easy and straight forward to install.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote