Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
camaro guy

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
Keep or sell during deployment

Hey everyone, I have a question for you all. I am deploying soon for a one year tour in Afghanistan. I have a 2010 Camaro LS black on black with 25k miles and great condition. Never tracked or raced and has mods(see sig) also have a loan and will have a great deal of cash in the bank when i return. I see myself having three options.

1.Storing my Camaro in my parents garage till i get back and keeping it for the long haul. only have to pay comprehensive during deployment so save on insurance.

2. Storing now and selling after i get back and upgrading to an SS paid in cash.

3.Selling now to avoid depreciation and loan interest and buying a SS when I return paid in cash.

I have had a lot of thoughts about the SS and have been wondering if the extra money is worth paying but really love the sound of a cammed SS with headers.

i came from a 4cyl Mitsubishi Galant and the v6 was a huge upgrade but no longer seems fast. I wonder how much our cars are gonna depreciate in a year? If I do option 1 then i can put more money down on a house which will save me huge in the long run with less interest.

Any opinions would be great. Thanks everyone
camaro guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
sell now buy later
Thank you for your service.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
CamaroNewb

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro 2SS RS
I agree, Sell now and save the payments towards an SS along with your cash and you can get an SS plus mods. I too thank you for your service
Mods so far: BFXauto Black Replica wheels, Pfadt lowering springs, Black CAI Intake, VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB, 20% tint, Painted Bowties and SS Badges, Blacked out sidemarkers, RPI Designs Tail Light Covers, Painted Tail Light Bezels, Pioneer touchscreen DVD, Fieldgoal wireless Harness, AAC Plasma LED DRL, AAC Hyper white dome, trunk and license plate LED's, Blue footwell lighting.
CamaroNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Drives: COTW 3/5/12
sell now... im if you decide to part it... im interested in your headers
tmac1granger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
If your plan is to buy a house then Option 1 makes more sense. The more money down the lower the interest rate for your mortage. If you want more power you can always add a supercharger or turbo's later.

From one Vet to another Option 1 is better for the long haul. Stay safe and thanks for your service to us all.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Thank - you for your service. Sorry to hear you have to leave. I would sell it now (# 3), however you won't get much back on all those mods and you do have many. The idea of coming home to a SS that you can mod will make you happy. One thought to keep in mind gas is on the rise. Good luck with your decision. I am sure it is a tough one.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
The best (financially sound) option is always to pay off the car and drive it till the wheels fall off. But that pays no attention to your personal goals, wants, etc.

There's really no sense in insuring and allowing a car to depreciate while it sits for a year (or longer?) while it's not being enjoyed. Especially if it's not the car you really want (SS).

My advice -- look at the numbers, see where you're at and where/when it makes sense to sell it. If it doesn't sell before you leave, make sure your folks have Power of Attorney, and maybe work it out so they sell the car when you're gone. Just establish your rock bottom price and let them know you'll go no lower than $xx,xxx.

Good luck over there!
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
camaro guy

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
Thanks for replying everyone. Also, i forgot to add in, if I did sell should I sell the car stock and parts separately or the car as is. i dont know if you can take off an alarm system easily, stock mufflers and wheels are trashed. kept stock intake and headers.
camaro guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
option 3

be safe brother
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro guy View Post
Thanks for replying everyone. Also, i forgot to add in, if I did sell should I sell the car stock and parts separately or the car as is. i dont know if you can take off an alarm system easily, stock mufflers and wheels are trashed. kept stock intake and headers.

Put back to stock or as close to as you can and sell the mod parts. There are plenty of people here who will buy the mods.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
SELL
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #12
Camaro54

Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
Thanks for what you do for us.
My advice is to sell now. Save as much as you can till you get back. Then look on this site and try and find a deal on an excellent used SS with mods already the way you like. You'll get a car that's in great shape for a heck of a lot less than buying a new car plus all your new mods . That will make you even again for the beating you took on your car now. The seller of the SS next year will be taking the same beating but to your advantage. You'll also be helping the seller get out from under their finacial load. I'm really shocked at all the good deals on used SSs that are in perfect shape.
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #13
paulsandhu

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
First off, as a Canadian, thank you for helping keeping the citizens of North America safe.

Secondly, do what your heart tells you to do. You could do option 1. Which is something personally what I would do. But thats just me. If you sell it, when you return you can get a loaded SS or buy a new SS or maybe a Z/28?

Current Modifications:
  • Hurst Comp HardDrive Stick Kit
  • K&N Blackhawk CAI
  • Anvil Carbon Fiber Notch Spoiler
  • Ceramic Coated Satin Black Wrap
paulsandhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #14
pnltnc1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Sell now comeback and get your 2ss :-)
pnltnc1 is offline   Reply With Quote