Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #281
mbrusco103

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS (M6) 427 Twin Turbo
Thanks Very Much for the DIY i hooked up my footwell and my friends footwell thanks to this guide. No pics at the moment. i also hooked one up in the trunk and one behind the front grill for car shows and just showing off lol
i got blue and my friend got the aac abl colored lights

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS ERL 427 M6 TT
-AGP Twin Turbo 55/57 .83ar | ERL 427ci | Squash Fuel System | Stainless Works Chambered 3" | Mcleod RXT | Factory Hurst Short Throw | Black Forgestar F14s | CTS V 6 Piston Brembo | VIS AMS Carbon Fiber Hood | Anvil Carbon Fiber Spoiler
mbrusco103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #282
TwoEcho
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-Imperial Blue
Thanks Jennnchuck! The photo was very helpful! I will be attempting this this coming weekend...

TwoEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #283
sexystreetmachine
Go Baby, GO!!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 1968 SS, 1993 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakefeb3 View Post
What wire do I use if I want them to slowly turn on like the dome does, but I want them to stay on with the rest of the ambient lighting? I dont want them to turn off when the dome goes off
Anyone else in the future who is wondering about this, Just pull the factory light switch off and use a tap splice connector on the black and solid yellow wires. Black is ground, Solid yellow is your positive. Did this on Mine as well as gabraddocks camaro.

So you really have two options here. Use the purple wire on the passenger side or use the wires behind the light switch. Either works

Last edited by sexystreetmachine; 10-13-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Left out info
sexystreetmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #284
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Here is my DUEL POWERED footwell lights.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #285
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
I love it, smart mod!
Old 10-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #286
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
I love it, smart mod!
Totally agreed!! Best interior mod for the money so far!!!

Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:55 AM   #287
jgnitro c

Drives: 2010 indy pace car
Send a message via AIM to jgnitro c
great posts

did mine with street glow led strips tapped into purple abl wire in drivers kick panel works great when u open driver door but doesnt go on when you open passanger door any ideas. looks cool and can be dimed just as i wanted but if passanger gets in first dont turn on till drivers door opens ?
jgnitro c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #288
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I will be tackling this this weekend and decided checking this thread out would be helpful. I'm glad I did because I got some good ideas. I was just going to install a switch from a constant 12V supply and do things that way but, I do like the idea of the lights coming on with the dome and fading out. I want to be able to do both so I'm putting in a 12V relay. I'm wiring the positive coil to the grey wire so when that comes on it will energize the relay and turn on the 12V to the inverters by switching on the normallly off contact with 12V on it. The normally on contact will also have 12V on it but, I'll install a switch in between the 12V source and the normally on contact. That way, the lights will always have a 12V source supplying it. One that I control. And the other that the dome light controls. Best of both worlds.

I'll just install the relay under the dash somewhere. Probably around where I install the inverters. Now the question is... where do I install the switch. hmmmm????
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #289
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

OK I lied... I didn't go with the relay idea. I wasn't sure if the dimmer was a PWM signal or what and I wasn't sure what voltage threshold the relay would switch off at during the dim down cycle. I said screw it and went to Radio Shlock and picked up a double pull double throw switch and just wired it up like I was going to the relay. Works great. Unfortunately, when I started to install the lights I noticed one of them got broken during shipping. So, I just have my driver's side done. I got the inverters wired up but, just didn't mount and plug in the passenger light. It's a pretty clean install and I'll try and take some pics when I get the replacement light and everything is all finished and tidy'd up.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #290
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
Just another reason why CCFL's should not be used in cars.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #291
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNo View Post
Just another reason why CCFL's should not be used in cars.

Well it broke in transit, not in the car. I put the one that wasn't broken up and had no problem with it. I don't know exactly how fragile they are. There was a dent on the box but when I opened it everything was in bubble wrap so I assumed it was OK. Unwrapped it all before I started to install everything and low and behold... broken light. We'll see how the one in the car holds up but, I don't forsee anything going wrong.

Thanks for your info on this stuff Tony... The gray wire was a great find and is one of the sources I used.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #292
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Drives: 07Taho, 11CamaroRS, 12CTSV Coupe
HOT DAMN... Thanx Tony. Did Front and rear foot wells. Once I tapped the Gray wire.. Easy as pie. Thanx again.
Cmicasa the Great XvX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #293
ZaBeast07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: IPF SC'd 2010 LLT 2015 1SS/RS
Thanks TonyNo for the helpful thread!! Just got done putting in white LEDs!
ZaBeast07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #294
Da5h4Rk

Drives: Blk/IOM 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparaz View Post
Just did this tonight, i'll have to post pictures soon. I wired my LEDs together (grounding them just like tony) through center console, and then tied them all into a DSDT toggle switch.
The gray wire for the dome light linked into position 1 on my toggle switch and the purple wire a few slots over (used for the ambient lighting) linked into position 2.

So now the I can turn foot well LEDs off completely, set them up to link directly to the dome lighting, and even switch them back on to run permanently while driving (based on headlights settings).

Absolutely love it and the toggle switch sure does look cool right there mounted under my steering wheel! Thanks to Tony and all the other people who had their 2 cents in this topic, about a 3 hour install for me and totally pleased with everything.
Will a SPDT switch work in place of the DPDT if I an trying to do the same thing? Or do I need a DPDT? If I need to use the DPDT, can you link me one that you used, and show me a wiring diagram so I know how to wire it? Thanks!
Da5h4Rk is offline   Reply With Quote