Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-16-2011, 06:52 AM   #15
TwoEcho
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-Imperial Blue
My favorite DIY write-up so far! I actually learned something, and your sense of humor made it fun to read. I hope to see you do a few more. Thanks for the write-up (and the luaghs)!

TwoEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
Cmlloveless

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Are these for non RS cars or for both?
Cmlloveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #17
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmlloveless View Post
Are these for non RS cars or for both?
RS cars already have LEGAL HID. This is for installing illegal hid kits into non rs cars that take halogen lights.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:19 PM   #18
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Here is the write I did for the AAC lights. I didn't go through all the steps of disconnecting the batter and all. I just waited till the end to do the battery work. I also attached my postive lead to a differnent location and hid my negative a little more out of the way.

I think anyone reading and wanting to do this mod would benefit from my steps as well. Between these two threads just about everything should be covered....including how to open the hood.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69917

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
How does this kit compare to the AAC HID conversion kit they have for $225?
I can't comment much on the differnces because I've only used AAC's kit. My guess will be that the OP is the same in reverse. He hasn't tried the AAC kit for comparisons either.

With that being said the biggest difference is probably going to be warranty. AAC is lifetime.....at least the lifetime they are in business. The others won't have much at all for a warranty. Thing is that the others are cheap enough that they are almost disposable. However, even if you have a warranty with them chances are there won't be much customer service.

I'm not necessarily recommending AAC because I've had my issues with their ballasts. I'm also not trying to bad mouth what the OP bought. Just trying to come up with the differnces in price.

If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't even mess with HID bulbs (see reference below). I'm just trying to let you know of some possible differences between the two.

However, like the OP said, if you do go down this road pay the extra money and get the Bi-Xenon kits. You'll never want to have a Halogen again....even if it's just a high beam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
RS cars already have LEGAL HID. This is for installing illegal hid kits into non rs cars that take halogen lights.
Going along with this statement.....anyone even remotely intrested in HID in their non-RS should really only look at doing HID projectors. I've had both HID bulbs and now HID projectors. Projectors are 10x better than just HID bulbs.....that's above and beyond one being technically legal over the other. Look through my thread and you'll see picture differences on my car between HID bulbs vs HID projectors. The projectors are one of the best mods I've done to my car.

I know most people think that their HID bulbs are way better lighting...an they are vs Halogen...but from someone that has used both, I can tell you HID bulbs don't even begin to hold a stick to how bright and crisp HID projectors are.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120440

I can also point you to people that can install these into your Halogen housings for you if you don't want to do it yourself. Just PM me and I'll get you their info.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #19
caverman

Oh....and to the OP.....as someone that was born and raised in the oven of TX...... your snow embanked drive way trips me out. I took me a min to even realize what the hell that was. I can't even remotely imagine having that outside my door.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 03-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #20
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
I ordred then GEN kit, but they did no have any H-13 bi-xenon in stock, so they upgraded me to the 3G KIT. Should be here next week.

Question, I was looking at the instructions, and it said they will not work if the DRL's are on, and that they have to be completely disabled... Really? Is that the case?
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #21
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS10BMX View Post
I ordred then GEN kit, but they did no have any H-13 bi-xenon in stock, so they upgraded me to the 3G KIT. Should be here next week.

Question, I was looking at the instructions, and it said they will not work if the DRL's are on, and that they have to be completely disabled... Really? Is that the case?
I know some of the higher end ones are designed for the DRL. The AAC ones I have are and I haven't had any issues ....at least not with the DRL......with Oracle's.

I have heard that some of the cheaper ones aren't desiged for the low wattage that the DRL have. Don't know if that's true but that's what I've heard. Then again that's what they are basically telling you.
Build Journal
Old 03-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #22
TankMorph
More Human Than Human

Drives: 2011 1LT IOM M6
Making aftermarket HIDs work with DRLs (non-RS camaros, obviously)

For the DRLs, you just need to put a capacitor in parallel with the +(low beam) and - connection at the stock headlamp harness.

This 4700µF capacitor from your local Radio Shack should do the trick:

This will keep the relay from chattering when the DRLs on. I recycled an HID kit from my old car, and bought the H13 bulbs from a local shop. The only thing I had to do was add this cap since my old car didn't have DRLs.

The attached diagram is just something I found online to show you what I'm talking about. I don't take any credit for it.
Attached Images

Last edited by TankMorph; 03-18-2011 at 01:08 PM.
TankMorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #23
mmon5532

Drives: 2011 Camaro Ls
Does the 6k hid kit melt the fog housings on the RS
mmon5532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #24
mxfan127

Drives: 2011 S/C CAMARO
it is true about the cheaper kits and drl i bought a set off ebay and they worked great unless my drl were on then they just flickerd on and off so i had to turn my lights off everytime i got in the car so i spent the $$ on the acc kit and problem went away i wish i had seen this post sooner i would have put a capacitor in damn
mxfan127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #25
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankMorph View Post
For the DRLs, you just need to put a capacitor in parallel with the +(low beam) and - connection at the stock headlamp harness.

This 4700µF capacitor from your local Radio Shack should do the trick:

...pic removed...

This will keep the relay from chattering when the DRLs on. I recycled an HID kit from my old car, and bought the H13 bulbs from a local shop. The only thing I had to do was add this cap since my old car didn't have DRLs.

The attached diagram is just something I found online to show you what I'm talking about. I don't take any credit for it.
Do you happen to have any pics of the connection?
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brighter, halogen, headlight, hid